Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aragorn maquette Reg or EX?????

I am looking for this one too, and I will definitely get the EX. The EX gives me more choices to display it and it gives me a feeling my collectible is more special because is more limited and will worth a lot more than regular in the future (you never know you may have to sell it in the future). It is just me though, you may not feel the same way, so you should get it according to your want. For me I want all EX for all of them in this line.

I hope my waitlist for gimli ex and legolas ex will be converted.

I guess it comes down to having as much choice as you want, as they are the same portrait, so they are equally nice!

I initially preferred the hooded version, and had that displayed for a while, but when Gandalf came out, I moved things around, and the unhooded portrait came back out, just because of the angle of display. I can see myself switching out from time to time when a new item comes out and I need to rearrange things down the line too.

I really like the hooded portrait, as that is such an iconic look for Strider, and is a unique representation of the character.

If I had to look at it now, I would go with the regular, but that is because I am a tightwad. I had Lurtz Excl PF, sold him around the time I got married, and then started the PF line again, and have been getting the regular versions. I am still very happy with my regular version collection!!

the EX portrait is awesome and offers a great alternative display...that being said i haven't even used it yet as i really dig the hooded portrait for the moment.

i'd say go exclusive. i used the hooded sculpt for about 5 minutes. it's ok but the unhooded one looks so fantastic. don't be fooled by photos like i was. it's a statue. they reflect light. so no pic is gonna truly convey what it looks like in hand.

here's the best i can do:

IMG_1708.jpg

Thread merged in the Aragorn Maq 'official' thread so all the discussion and advice about this beauty is kept in one place and easy to follow.
Personally speaking I've always loved the Hooded version and if I had this piece would prolly only display him that way, so more than likely I would go with a Reg, but that's just me.
Although the non-hood version is also very cool :rock
x :peace

So I guess to those who own him. o you think it looks better hooded or no. In person Does it look like Aragorn with the hood on?

Here's a comparison photo of mine:

Aragorn Closeup by theguru1, on Flickr

As you can see, regardless of what some may say, there's something that isn't exactly identical about the two heads. The hooded one isn't the unhooded version with just the hood added.

Before anyone jumps up and down about camera angles, etc. The statue wasn't moved, the camera was on a tri-pod and as you can see, the rest of the body, arm, etc all exactly match and align. What doesn't exactly match or align is the eye's, nose, mouth, etc of the face. Be it the sculpt, the production process or something else, there is some difference.

As such, I personally prefer the unhooded head and since I've got it, apart from those initial photo's, I've never had him displayed with anything else. But even so, if nothing else, the Ex gives you the choice, only you can decided if that is worth the extra $ to you.

Here's a comparison photo of mine:

Aragorn Closeup by theguru1, on Flickr

As you can see, regardless of what some may say, there's something that isn't exactly identical about the two heads. The hooded one isn't the unhooded version with just the hood added.

Before anyone jumps up and down about camera angles, etc. The statue wasn't moved, the camera was on a tri-pod and as you can see, the rest of the body, arm, etc all exactly match and align. What doesn't exactly match or align is the eye's, nose, mouth, etc of the face. Be it the sculpt, the production process or something else, there is some difference.

As such, I personally prefer the unhooded head and since I've got it, apart from those initial photo's, I've never had him displayed with anything else. But even so, if nothing else, the Ex gives you the choice, only you can decided if that is worth the extra $ to you.

Clearly is it the angle of the heads as they are positioned on the shoulders that is different. But again, other than the fact one is hooded and the other is not, the two portraits are identical. This is something Trevor has already addressed in this thread and something that you and I discussed at length on pages 29 and 30 of the thread, but since you seem to have forgotten, let me refresh your memory.

Trevolver said:
Heya Collin! I'm SO relieved this ended up looking nice. I really tried hard to do a good job on it, and the initial preview was...underwhelming for sure. I'm happy to see such care was taken in the paintwork.

The headsculpts are identical on both the hooded and unhooded piece. The hair breaks away in two parts, and the hood slides on in two parts down the seam. Once it's patched, you can't hardly tell.I think what's happened is Sideshow tried to shoot light front on, and the shadows of the face are very unflattering. So...in theory, there should be no reason why the hooded portrait should look inferior to the hoodless.

Thanks man! So happy to hear you like it.
Trev

Now if you want to believe the two portraits are different....knock yourself out. Or if you feel inclined to contact Trevor personally and tell him he's wrong about this....feel free to do so. Personally speaking, I think I'm sticking with the sculptor on this one.

Last edited:
Got myself an EX from fellow board member Gruson! Can't wait. Just got done watching the EE on Blu ray over this past week so I am really pumped.

Congrats JAWS! Wait 'til you see it in person...you are going to love it. :)

...This is something Trevor has already addressed in this thread... ...I think I'm sticking with the sculptor on this one.

You forgot the very real possibility that this is another Sideshow conspiracy. :idea :panic:

Mine is boxed up right now (so is my GTG), till I have a proper display case. But, when I do display it, it will be w/o the hood as well.

Exclusive for sure. With the hood off you can definately tell it's Aragorn, with the hood on he looks more of a ranger (obviously).

And, looking at mine in person, yes the two headsculpts are the same. The only differences are the hair which is obviously different as it's under a hood, and the paintjob's different.

Alright, just sold my Ex Aragorn about a month ago and now realize how badly I want back into this line.

So, if anyone has an Ex version available, shoot me a PM and I will take it off your hands.

Back