Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the same when I see a 1/6 collection, often all on little black stands :lol, jammed together on a crowded display.

There's no doubt some Wetaites are going to switch into attack mode when I say this [they always do :lol], but your assessment that the former Weta line looks 'dated' is 100% accurate IMO. I don't include all the SSW statues when I say this, but those employing the generic, black bases absolutely appear old, tired, and dated to me....and this has nothing to do with SS's maquettes now being the current 'flavour of the month' as some have suggested. Rather, it has everything to do with statues being placed on bases with which they have no business being placed on.

And I'm sorry, this nonsense about solid black bases allowing the viewer to focus on the character and not the base is just that....nonsense. It's about as accurate as saying the sky is purple with pink polka dots. I have no idea as to who came up with that theory, or why other's have blindly embraced it without actually testing it for accuracy, but anyone with an understand of colours in relation to human perception knows that we are very visual in nature and that we are all instinctively drawn to dominant colours.....with black being a very dominant colour. The notion that a solid black base somehow helps us to focus on the character and away from the base is pure fiction...that kind of reasoning flies in the face of our very nature. In actual fact, those black bases have the exact opposite effect to what some would have us believe....they instinctively divert one's attention away from the character, and towards the base.....not the other way around. :nono

Last edited:
To be honest, i think it's all nonsense. People who are distracted by a base need to re-think why they're buying the statue. The base is something you should be looking at briefly and going 'hmm, nice..... back to the statue....'
I've just looked at my collection and that was my reaction. The SS maquettes have a bit of environment....brilliant. They'll all look great together, as that pic in Woodsy's avatar shows.
But i also like the plain black bases and don't feel they're dated. They suit the SSW line but just because Sideshow want to add a bit more to their bases, doesn't make the SSW ones bad. I think it was Weta themselves who said about the black bases being designed to showcase the subject matter more, and i think that worked. If people don't like them fine, but alot of people do too.

I don't think there is any right or wrong regarding the bases. It is just a matter of personal choice IMO. You pays your money and you take your choice.

:duff
Bill

Were they unaware that the piece would be enhanced or did they simply want something cheap and simple because retail framing is one of the biggest ripoffs going. I have some awesome framed pieces, and yes I paid out the nose for it and yes it looks awesome. But often I go simple black frame because I just can't fathom the pricing. Seems like you can't leave a frame shop for less than a 100 bill, even with the bogus 60% off offers that all the big retailers offer. Not knocking on you, just venting that no one has cracked the custom framing mafia nut yet. What percent of the pieces brought into Michaels would you say were less expensive than the frame itself???

FWIW I much prefer the molded bases.

Won't disagree with you there! First, it was kind of a mixed bag when it came to what the customer wanted. Some wanted enhancement, and some wanted cheap and simple (as in almost anything). It was surprising though, how many people came in and went from wanting something simple to decking out their artwork.

The pricing in framing is ridiculous. I would NEVER frame something without the 60% off. I always thought it would be fun to open my own frame shop and try and offer better pricing, but it isn't just the stores that charge a ton. Some of those framing vendors are just outrageous! However, like woodsy said, framing a piece is also an investment as it helps to protect your artwork. Buying a limited edition print (like a limited edition statue) can become an investment, and I think in the world of artwork and prints, they usually are. Whenever I buy a piece of art, I do factor in the cost of framing (although I do have a pile of cardboard tubes of cool artwork I just don't have the money/space for!). Again, not all people know this or even care, but it is very important to the ones that do.

I will say though, I saw a lot of artwork come in that would cost far more than the framing job! I remember a few pieces that were worth thousands! Now, that is according to the customer, and you never really know...:cuckoo:

Thanks DarkHorse! I've been collecting art for 30 years now and spent the greater part of 10 years working in an art gallery myself, so I know exactly what you mean. :lol If I had a dollar for every customer who wanted their framing to match the furniture in a particular room, or who wanted every picture framed exactly the same way regardless of the subject matter, mood, or colours of each individual print :cuckoo:...I think I could probably buy a couple of maquettes with some change left over. But you're right, so many people really don't have a solid understanding of how framing impacts artwork, or in this case, how a base impacts a statue.
And I cannot tell you how your comment concerning the "amazement of customers picking up their art" brings back memories as I think that was probably the most enjoyable part of working in an art gallery. I used to love seeing the shocked look of customers viewing their framed artwork for the first time, never realizing until that very moment just how important, and how much of an impact proper framing had on their artwork.....priceless. :)

So true woodsy, so true! I really do miss the framing world. I have never been a real artsy person (just ask my college drawing instructor) but I have a great appreciation for it and loved the custom framing. Helping a customer pick things out, doing the assembly, and then getting to show them the completed piece was always very exciting. It's always a real treat when my wife and I find something worth custom framing and we bring it in to my old store to get framed. We always spend a good two hours with it (although a lot of that time is spent chatting with my old co-workers!).

I LOVE the SS bases on most all of their statues. Take the Marvel line for the X-men premium formats. Most people complain about the plain black x base with Gambit and how they wish it were more like some of the other nicer bases. Take a look at how well recieved the spiderman comiquette has been recieved and a HUGE part of the statue is the base its attached to.

The bases definately are a plus for the LOTR line too, both PF and Maquette.

Won't disagree with you there! First, it was kind of a mixed bag when it came to what the customer wanted. Some wanted enhancement, and some wanted cheap and simple (as in almost anything). It was surprising though, how many people came in and went from wanting something simple to decking out their artwork.

The pricing in framing is ridiculous. I would NEVER frame something without the 60% off. I always thought it would be fun to open my own frame shop and try and offer better pricing, but it isn't just the stores that charge a ton. Some of those framing vendors are just outrageous! However, like woodsy said, framing a piece is also an investment as it helps to protect your artwork. Buying a limited edition print (like a limited edition statue) can become an investment, and I think in the world of artwork and prints, they usually are. Whenever I buy a piece of art, I do factor in the cost of framing (although I do have a pile of cardboard tubes of cool artwork I just don't have the money/space for!). Again, not all people know this or even care, but it is very important to the ones that do.

I will say though, I saw a lot of artwork come in that would cost far more than the framing job! I remember a few pieces that were worth thousands! Now, that is according to the customer, and you never really know...:cuckoo:

I always thought the Michaels sale was a basic scam, that the sale is so often that really its just a marketing gimmick; and in many ways it is. But I went to a small mom and pop and found the same frame and low and behold it WAS full price. Unreal. I couldn't believe the guy quoted me the price with a straight face.

Curious about the comment about it adding value. I havent found that. I have sold framed animation art where the frame was basically given away. I agree though, I won't frame something unless I never plan to sell it. Its a great feeling getting back.

i decided to jump back into this line afterall. better late than never. my love of LOTR is too great. this line had better not die now that i've gotten on board.

a couple pics to highlight the amazing headsculpt on this piece.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Yes I had to pass on the GTG, I have the PF GTG EX so I'm pretty happy with that. I now have to pick and choose from the maquette line those which I truly want, or else I'll be on the streets cuz it would be too expensive for me to be a completest. Thanks Bill & take it easy.

Yes I had to pass on the GTG, I have the PF GTG EX so I'm pretty happy with that. I now have to pick and choose from the maquette line those which I truly want, or else I'll be on the streets cuz it would be too expensive for me to be a completest. Thanks Bill & take it easy.

Yeah I hear you LV702Eldar, it's an expensive business this collecting lark. We'll just have to do the best we can with what we have.

The GTG PF is fantastic for sure, the Maquett version is nice too, but not as good IMHO.

Best of luck with your collecting.

:duff
Bill

I much prefer the Aragorn maquette over the Aragorn p.f. , and I owned both. I sold the p.f. , and I was very disappointed with the way they changed it from the prototype.

I'll agree the Gandalf the Grey p.f. is better than the maquette. The pose and head sculpt look great. I never owned it, but I always think about getting it and having it as my sole p.f.

Yeah I have both Aragorn maquette & pf and think their both outstanding pieces in their own right. I agree the proto headsculpt for the Aragorn pf was better than what we got in the end. Gandalf the Grey pf is the one to have if you can only have one!

nice pics, craw! i jumped into this line as well when the ex gandalf popped back up on sideshow's site. supposed to be delivered today. aragorn should be here friday. excited about the line and hope it does well.

nice pics, craw! i jumped into this line as well when the ex gandalf popped back up on sideshow's site. supposed to be delivered today. aragorn should be here friday. excited about the line and hope it does well.

I'm gladyou were able to land an Aragorn EX. did your wait list convert or...?

I do prefer the base on the maquette over the p.f. though, not to mention I HATE name plates.

just got my aragorn. man...just wow. i really like both portraits but for me the hooded portrait really nails it and captures the character and that kind of lonely, rainy mood of aragorn in the wilds. awesome work sideshow. awesome!

Back