Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I haven't been around lately, but the new lil' miss has got daddy all preoccupied. :1-1:

Aragorn/ Strider #127 arrived last week. I just opened him up and all I can say is that it definitely lives up to the hype. An absolutely stunning piece. Will post pics later this week. :wave

It's never bedtime for Josh! :rotfl

Sleep is for the weak. :lol

I know I haven't been around lately, but the new lil' miss has got daddy all preoccupied. :1-1:

Aragorn/ Strider #127 arrived last week. I just opened him up and all I can say is that it definitely lives up to the hype. An absolutely stunning piece. Will post pics later this week. :wave

Congrats on the new one and Aragorn. :hi5:

Now I'm definitely glad I passed on this.....
But I'm glad you all like it...

I pretty much agree with you other than being glad I'm not getting these. I find no joy in not collecting this line even though I do stand by my decision to only collect the PF figures.

I will live vicariously through everyone else's enjoyment of the maquette line. That is until I crack and eventually start getting these myself. :rolleyes2 :thud: :lol

start crackin' Fritz. I already did :( (but I resolved to not be a completist in this line - let's see how long I can do that)

Alright, after getting home late last night I finally had the opportunity to open my Aragorn this morning and I am in total agreement with those amazed at how good it looks in person. :drool Trolls and morons aside, it really is a stunning statue.

Are the paint app's perfect?....nope. Nor do they look to be quite on par with the prototype, but they are close. And considering that these were painted on a factory assembly line I'd say the paint-up is remarkably good. Most striking to me are the skin tones. There is actually colour to the skin, it looks real.....and this is a huge upgrade to the monotone skin tones of any SSW statues I've ever owned. And the eyes of mine are perfect......and incredibly detailed for such a small scale. Could this statue's paint app's be improved upon by a professional painter?...absolutely. Truthfully, the factory painted statue that can't be improved upon in the hands of a skilled painter doesn't exist....and someone expecting a professional quality paint job from these Chinese factories is living in a dream world. That is simply the reality of the situation. As a matter of fact, many of the painter's SS does employ to paint their prototypes have to scale back on the quality of the prototype paint-ups because the factory painters in China don't have the skill to duplicate the prototypes otherwise.

As for the likeness, there's really not much to say....in person it screams Viggo. :clap It is easily the best representation of Viggo I have ever owned.....and I have owned them all. And that comment is not meant to take anything away from the PF likeness, which IMO is very good, but this is the likeness by which all other's will now be compared. :lecture

The other thing that really strikes me about this statue, and something that I can't recall anyone addressing is the amazing complexity of the sculpt. This staue is comprised of at leat 15 separately sculpted components and that is amazing to see in a 1/6 scale statue and it's something that cannot be fully appreciated in photo's, no matter how good they are. I am also very impressed with the base. It has a very classy look and feel to it and it perfectly compliment's Aragorn.

Overall, this is a remarkable statue and personally speaking I rate it a solid 9/10. If it was SS's intent to launch this new line with a statement....mission accomplished! Because his line could not possibly be off to a better start. :clap

Last edited:
woodsy is busy hunting trolls. :rotfl

:postpics: :impatient:

I have to think about whether or not I want to add my crappy photo's to the mix because :

a]. They will in no way be of the quality of some of the great photo's posted so far. :lecture

b]. I don't want to give the trolls anymore ammo. :lol

+4 Is there a new troll in town?....I've never seen him around here.:lol

Never been called a troll before, guess I can cross that one off my list! The only reason I commented is because I was seriously considering making this my first SS LOTR purchase (hence why you've never seen me around here). I was just disappointed by what I saw, that's all. If I ever pop back into these parts again, I'll make sure I'm all sunshine and roses :panic:

"Out for delivery"..

Yay! First collectible for me in 2 years. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts.

start crackin' Fritz. I already did :( (but I resolved to not be a completist in this line - let's see how long I can do that)

Got my work cut out for me. :lol

Alright, after getting home late last night I finally had the opportunity to open my Aragorn this morning and I am in total agreement with those amazed at how good it looks in person. :drool Trolls and morons aside, it really is a stunning statue.

Are the paint app's perfect?....nope. Nor do they look to be quite on par with the prototype, but they are close. And considering that these were painted on a factory assembly line I'd say the paint-up is remarkably good. Most striking to me are the skin tones. There is actually colour to the skin, it looks real.....and this is a huge upgrade to the monotone skin tones of any SSW statues I've ever owned. And the eyes of mine are perfect......and incredibly detailed for such a small scale. Could this statue's paint app's be improved upon by a professional painter?...absolutely. Truthfully, the factory painted statue that can't be improved upon in the hands of a skilled painter doesn't exist....and someone expecting a professional quality paint job in these Chinese factories is living in a dream world. That is simply the reality of the situation. As a matter of fact, many of the painter's SS does employ to paint their prototypes have to scale back on the quality of the prototype paint-ups because the factory painters in China don't have the skill to duplicate the prototypes otherwise.

As for the likeness, there's really not much to say....in person it screams Viggo. :clap It is easily the best representation of Viggo I have ever owned.....and I have owned them all. And that comment is not meant to take anything away from the PF likeness, which IMO is very good, but this is the likeness by which all other's will now be compared. :lecture

The other thing that really strikes me about this statue, and something that I can't recall anyone addressing is the amazing compexity of the sculpt. This staue is comprised of at leat 15 separately sculpted components and that is amazing to see in a 1/6 scale statue and it's something that cannot be fully appreciated in photo's, no matter how good they are. I am also very impressed with the base. It has a very classy look and feel to it and it perfectly compliment's Aragorn.

Overall, this is a remarkable statue and personally speaking I rate it a solid 9/10. If it was SS's intent to launch this new line with a statement....mission accomplished! Because his line could not possibly be off to a better start. :clap

Yeah, this piece is amazing and among the best LOTR items I've owned bar none. I believe they got this line of to a truly awesome start.

Never been called a troll before, guess I can cross that one off my list! The only reason I commented is because I was seriously considering making this my first SS LOTR purchase (hence why you've never seen me around here). I was just disappointed by what I saw, that's all. If I ever pop back into these parts again, I'll make sure I'm all sunshine and roses :panic:

I don't know how you can be disappointed honestly. The sculpt, paint, details, etc are all really really good. I personally believe anyone saying they're feeling the way you do or not feeling it is just trying to convince themselves of that said not actual fact.

I don't think anyone around here wants sunshine and roses....what we do want is honest, insightful opinions....good and bad. Sorry, but basing the quality of the sculpts and paint app's on iPhone pic's under less than ideal conditions [as some have done around here] is borderline stupidity. As is valuing those photo's over the reviews of collectors who have seen it in person, and who are able to provide an accurate assessment. It might also be worthwhile to note that not a single person labelling the paint app's or sculpts as lousy, own or have even ordered this statue. And if you go back even further, you'll find that some of these fine individuals really haven't had much good to say about this statue since the time it was first announced. Now I know it's human nature to try and convince ourselves we are right on a particular topic [as oppossed to admitting we are wrong] and apparently many will use anything and everything to back up their belief, up to and including lousy photo's.......that's what we've been dealing with around here and that's not exactly my idea of honest, insightful, opinions...but what do I know? :dunno

Last edited:
Glad everyone is happy with the piece, honestly! I usually keep negative thoughts to myself, like I said, was just a bit shocked by the close up :peace

Piss poor lighting will make anything look like doo doo. Not trying to take anything away from Geb's or anyone elses photo contributions, but it is what it is. Use of a direct flash on any subject usually results in washed out unflattering images that do no justice to the piece itself. It's already been said, but you have to see it live and in living colour to truly appreciate this one. :peace

IMG_2832.JPG

I didn't think the lighting on the picture I saw originally was that harsh, but apparently it was. That looks beautiful. I'll go get my coat.

I was very skeptical about this but since i recieved it i am loving it! The likeness is awesome! You really have to see this in person.
I love the base! I have to request a replacement hooded head though as he has a big chip right on his nose! (Howd that one get past your QC SS???)
Heres some pics of mine. Great Piece!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I got mine too, and although I've been pretty meh on the photos of the piece that have been posted, I'll honestly have to say it looks great in person. Mine does seem to have a bit of wonky eye (not too major), and I'm still on the fence about keeping it. My biggest issue is that if I keep it, I HAVE to get Gandalf and Legolas.

Back