Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOTR Maquette definately. You shouldn't look at this as buying just 1 statue, once team him up with Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir,
they'll look awesome. Trust me, if you don't get this, you'll regret so much in a year or so.

Well...yesterday, UPS showed up and no one was home to take delivery...stupid Signature Required! I called UPS and picked it up on my way home!

Have to say...I agree with so many of the folks that are astonished and amazed by this piece! Kudos to Sideshow for launching this line with an amazing sculpt and likeness.

Personally, I like the UNHOODED exclusive head sculpt because it gives more of the Strider picture to me...he had his HOOD OFF more IMO. It IS Viggo Mortensen...without a doubt. If you took this statue to someone who knew actors but had never seen LOTR...they would without a doubt say it was Viggo...that would be the ultimate test!

The paint apps are slightly dull and there is TOO much mud on the hood, but nothing takes away from the amazing presentation here.

If I was to criticize anything about this statue at all...it would be the turned head. While I think it gives the statue a unique pose, I think it would have been a bit better had his head only been turned 45 degrees instead of a full 90.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with this presentation from Sideshow...and I found myself lucky to get #33/550 of the exclusive...I was ALSO a January waitlist conversion. But I had preordered right away, canceled, waitlisted, canceled, and wiatlisted a second time before I finally decided to unload all my PFs in favor of this line. I believe, in the end, the decision will be the right one!

Cannot WAIT for a couple baddies to be done in this format!

I don't think there's too much mud on the hood.... not on mine anyway. And i certainly don't think it's dull..... this IS Strider the ranger afterall, not a Hobbit!

I opened mine last night and it is an awesome statue. My paint is very well done. My complaints are the chin and nose actually. Too pointy and his chin is painted with too much cleft. He looks like someone pinched his head in a bit. If that makes sense. But I would definately recommend him. His eyes look great. None of that stupid yellow tint around the irises that I hate.

The hooded version is still the one I prefer. The unhooded version doesn't do any more justice to Viggo than the other SS/W incarnations.

Obviously, you don't have the ability to distinguish between a statue that looks like Viggo and several that don't......not much more to say really. :cuckoo:

Hey Colin, did you get yours? I thought I remember you saying yours was coming yesterday (Friday)?

Hey Colin, did you get yours? I thought I remember you saying yours was coming yesterday (Friday)?

Unfortunately Allan, according to my daughter it arrived about 10 minutes after my wife and I left for the weekend. :gah: I'll be home on Sun. night and will provide my review once I have it in hand.

Really? :thud: :dunno Its far and away better than any of the representations we've gotten before and nearly a ringer for Viggo. Only something the Elessar statue can really come close to in statue form.

I'm one of the original Wetaholics and have nearly every statue and bust, and i would disagree with you completely here. As Josh says, Elessar comes close, but seeing this maquette in person absolutely blows me away! No photos have come close to showing how impressive it really looks.

Josh, you and FE are right on the money with this one. At one point I owned all 3 SSW Aragorn representations and Elessar was easily the best of the lot. I certainly wouldn't put on par with the PF or the maquette, but it was a decent representation. As for the other two.... one would have to out of their mind to think either one even remotely looks like Viggo. :cuckoo:

Well...yesterday, UPS showed up and no one was home to take delivery...stupid Signature Required! I called UPS and picked it up on my way home!

Have to say...I agree with so many of the folks that are astonished and amazed by this piece! Kudos to Sideshow for launching this line with an amazing sculpt and likeness.

Personally, I like the UNHOODED exclusive head sculpt because it gives more of the Strider picture to me...he had his HOOD OFF more IMO. It IS Viggo Mortensen...without a doubt. If you took this statue to someone who knew actors but had never seen LOTR...they would without a doubt say it was Viggo...that would be the ultimate test!

The paint apps are slightly dull and there is TOO much mud on the hood, but nothing takes away from the amazing presentation here.

If I was to criticize anything about this statue at all...it would be the turned head. While I think it gives the statue a unique pose, I think it would have been a bit better had his head only been turned 45 degrees instead of a full 90.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with this presentation from Sideshow...and I found myself lucky to get #33/550 of the exclusive...I was ALSO a January waitlist conversion. But I had preordered right away, canceled, waitlisted, canceled, and wiatlisted a second time before I finally decided to unload all my PFs in favor of this line. I believe, in the end, the decision will be the right one!

Cannot WAIT for a couple baddies to be done in this format!

Geb, you hit my points on this piece almost exactly, mud on hood and the turned head.

I've also decided to keep this piece, money being tight or not. I will use this line as MY representation of the characters and cherry-pick the Weta line here and there (mostly baddies).

I had the original Aragorn statue, and the likeness wasn't that great. The thing I did like about it, was watching the Making of Gollum dvd, was when Viggo would offer his feedback on the piece.

The Aragorn at the Black Gates, while I did like it a lot. Again, the likeness was nothing special.

Elessar was probably the best. But, the maquette is much better.

The prorotype Aragorn p.f. was mu favorite. I never liked the way the production piece turned out (yellow / crazy eyes).

Judging by pictures (and I will have mine in hand on Monday). The maquette is my favorite.

The prorotype Aragorn p.f. was mu favorite. I never liked the way the production piece turned out (yellow / crazy eyes).

When the production pics were put up, I remember posting that SS had caught lightning in a bottle with the proto but had lost it with the changes that were made. As much as I like the PF, it still pisses me off when I see a pic of the proto. It was, imo, perfection!

When the production pics were put up, I remember posting that SS had caught lightning in a bottle with the proto but had lost it with the changes that were made. As much as I like the PF, it still pisses me off when I see a pic of the proto. It was, imo, perfection!

Anyone still have that proto pic? I got my Aragorn after the fact.

yes, it was perfect. And, it used to make me mad whenever I looked at the box and it had a picture of the prototype on it.

I remember when the newsletter came out that week, both Aragorn and Anakin Skywalker p.f. were announced.

Couple images of mine:

Aragorn1.jpg

This one shows some scale with the PF line:
Aragorn2.jpg

Enjoy!

I had the original Aragorn statue, and the likeness wasn't that great. The thing I did like about it, was watching the Making of Gollum dvd, was when Viggo would offer his feedback on the piece.

Only thing being me keeping mine. :lecture

Oh and btw this statue is really growing on me, HUGE potential here SS; though I still only intend on collecting previously unproduced characters.

Last edited:
Back