Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a bit unhappy with the way the maquette looked mixed with my old SSW statues so I decided to have an old Legolas base modified so that I could display my Aragorn maquette on it.

The mod was finished a few days ago, here's some pics (click for enlargements):

First, the original base:

The modified SSW base:

And in my collection:

Very nice my friend :clap :clap
I prefer that myself. I always liked the black bases for the LOTR pieces and it certainly helps draw attention to the awesome sculpt.
He fits into your collection perfectly :rock
Good stuff imo :clap
x :wave

Personally, I would have stuck with the SS base....artistically and visually speaking it's much more interesting. No doubt the generic black SSW bases helped to keep the cost of the SSW statue line down, but they have the artistic appeal of a cardboard box...they doing nothing to compliment the character or overall statue. :dunno

Good statues don't need an 'artistically and visually interesting' base to complement them. And, clearly, the Aragorn maquette is an excellent statue :wink1: Besides, the original base is just a generic piece of Middle-earth scenery. I might feel different if it were a piece of Weathertop.

On the contrary, i think the black bases have a more classical feel to them and allow you to focus on the character alone.

:lecture I have to agree.

Very nice Marcel :clap, really helps him fit in very well with the rest of your collection.

Thanks for showing us how it turned out.

:duff
Bill

Very nice my friend :clap
I prefer that myself. I always liked the black bases for the LOTR pieces and it certainly helps draw attention to the awesome sculpt.
He fits into your collection perfectly :rock
Good stuff imo :clap
x :wave

Thanks Bill and Shell! :duff

Last edited:
Good statues don't need an 'artistically and visually interesting' base to compliment them. And, clearly, the Aragorn maquette is an excellent statue :wink1: Besides, the original base is just a generic piece of Middle-earth scenery. I might feel different if it were a piece of Weathertop.

Things like this are always going to come down to personal preferences, and the only thing that really matters is what you think of it. But, whether one wants to acknowledge it or not, the base is part of the statue and if it isn't complimenting the character or helping to 'tell the story' behind that particular piece....then what is it doing? You wouldn't slap a black frame on all your artwork [at least I hope you wouldn't], nor would you frame all your artwork in an identical manner yet that is exactly what Weta did for the most part with their statue line. This was a cost-cutting measure, plain and simple....much in the same way SS approached the LSB line after a great start.

But, whether one wants to acknowledge it or not, the base is part of the statue and if it isn't complimenting the character or helping to 'tell the story' behind that particular piece....then what is it doing? You wouldn't slap a black frame on all your artwork [at least I hope you wouldn't], nor would you frame all your artwork in an identical manner

The base, to me, is not part of the statue. Most 'real' statues (not collectibles) are positioned on nothing more than a slab of concrete. It is a necessity to keep the statue from falling over. So it doesn't need to complement the statue. Actually, I think the Sideshow base distracts a bit from the character. With the Weta base, the statue gets all the attention.

And yes, I would frame all my artwork in an identical manner.

It's all a matter of personal opinion though.

I kind of prefer a bit of environment with the statues it adds somthing and several of the SSW pieces had them as well. The thing I think I loved most about the SSW bases was the map of middle earth they had on the top.

The plain black bases are sterile and cheapen the presentation, imo. The environment bases, as well as the improved sculpts, really set this new line apart from the dated weta ones.

If you like it, that's all that matters. I like the bases with something on them, but that's just a personal choice and I don't own any Weta statues.

The upcoming Boromir with the wall section sells this concept for me...without it, it would not represent the failing city of Osgiliath and the fight to restore the balance that Boromir endured to bring glory to Gondor before his departure to claim the ring!!

The plain black bases are sterile and cheapen the presentation, imo. The environment bases, as well as the improved sculpts, really set this new line apart from the dated weta ones.

Why? Because the new maquettes are simply the newest thing on the market?

I'm purely a statue collector, and i love Strider and the upcoming Legolas, but there are better representatives than the GTG imo.
Most of the SSW statues, if it's the statues as well as the bases you are referring to, are not dated. I can only think of Aragorn, Legolas, and maybe the Haradrim as poor sculpts and likenesses, possibly Arwen and Pippins face.
The original line is still a classic and to call it dated when worked on by the original movie-makers is bizarre.

Why? Because the new maquettes are simply the newest thing on the market?

Basically. Sideshow, Hot Toys, Weta, and most other companies, have improved their products in the last ten years. Weta Strider and the new maquette Strider are worlds apart imo.

I agree with you about GtG. The face is nice but the cape, some of the robe details and overall "thrusting pose of power" don't work for me. The base and overall size of the statue are impressive though

I'm glad you have this kind of insider info the rest of us can only dream about! :clap

;)

I don't ever recall stating I have any inside info regarding the reasoning behind Weta's generic bases, but do you really need inside info to figure this out? :confused: Do you really have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the time and costs incurred by Weta had they produced separate individual bases for each and every statue/character would have been significantly more had they gone that route? Not only would the additional R&D required, sculpting, mold production, and paint app costs have resulted in higher priced statues, they would have added significantly to the time required to produce them.....and based on the staggering rate at which Weta were producing these statues [close to one/month over a 5 year period] it is highly doubtful they could have accomplished this had they gone with anything other than generic mass-produced bases for the majority of their statues. And I don't think it a co-incidence that the only two Weta statue lines featuring mass-produced bases also happen to be the two largest they ever worked on...LOTR and Narnia. There's no doubt those generic bases are functional and served their purpose, but one thing is certain, they didn't produce those bases to visually or artistically enhance the statues. They produced them because they were cheap and easy to make, and it saved them alot of time and effort.

Now one might argue that great statues don't need intricate, detailed bases...that the character itself is enough. Personally, I do not think people who adhere to this belief could possibly be more 'off the mark'. Those like myself, who are avid collectors of artwork frame our litho's, canvas giclee's, etc...for two reasons. To protect the painting and to enhance the painting. The protection part I think is pretty self-explanatory. As for the enhancing aspect, again, it's pretty self-explanatory. Surrounding a picture with a proper frame/moulding and selecting mattes that compliment the picture or draw one's attention to certain aspects of that picture will make a great painting even better. As an avid fan and collector of Jerry Vanderstelt's LOTR painting's I can safely say that his artwork is stunning, but someone who doesn't think Jerry's amazing paintings can be improved upon by the careful selection of mouldings and mattes that compliment his artwork...doesn't know what they're talking about. And I would make the same arguement for statue bases. The statue that can't be improved upon by the careful selection of a base that compliments the overall statue doesn't exist. In all my years as a LOTR collector I have never once heard anyone complain about the bases of the SSW Balrog or Cave Troll statues. I've never heard a single person ever make the statement these statues would look as good, or better, on a plain, black, generic base. And the same goes with Bilbo standing on a barrel or Sauron standing on the lava encrusted landscape of Mordor. And the reason why you never hear these things is simple...because they wouldn't look better, or even remotely as good.......as they do with the bases already featured with these characters. And I think you'ld also be hard pressed to find a single LOTR PF or maquette collector who thinks these two lines would be best served or even remotely as good as they are if SS chose to go with simple black bases instead of the ones they've chosen.

Do I think the bases SS are incorporating within the maquette and PF's lines are light years ahead of the majority of SSW bases?....absolutely. Not only do they allow SS to be more creative in terms of character composition [ie poses], they complimernt or enhance the characters in a way generic, black bases can never do. :lecture

Last edited:
Now one might argue that great statues don't need intricate, detailed bases...that the character itself is enough. Personally, I do not think people who adhere to this belief could possibly be more wrong. Those like myself, who are avid collectors of artwork frame our litho's, canvas giclee's, etc...for two reasons. To protect the painting and to enhance the painting. The protection part I think is pretty self-explanatory. As for the enhancing aspect, again, it's pretty self-explanatory. Surrounding a picture with a proper frame/moulding and selecting mattes that compliment the picture or draw one's attention to certain aspects of that picture will make a great painting even better. As an avid fan and collector of Jerry Vanderstelt's LOTR painting's I can safely say that his artwork is stunning, but someone who doesn't think Jerry's amazing paintings can be improved upon by the careful selection of moulds and mattes that compliment his work...doesn't know what they're talking about.

I couldn't agree more Woodsy. I used to manage a frame shop, and it is really amazing what you can do with a piece of artwork and the right matting/frame. One thing I did learn during my days in the frame shop, is how many people DIDN'T know/realize this. Many of my customers came in wanting something cheap and simple, and it wasn't until I started educating them on the benefits of framing did they come to realize what is possible. I cannot tell you how many customers came in to pick up their piece and were in total amazement.

I like your take on the bases acting like matting/frames. Maybe that's why I love this line so much; it's the inner-framer in me!

I couldn't agree more Woodsy. I used to manage a frame shop, and it is really amazing what you can do with a piece of artwork and the right matting/frame. One thing I did learn during my days in the frame shop, is how many people DIDN'T know/realize this. Many of my customers came in wanting something cheap and simple, and it wasn't until I started educating them on the benefits of framing did they come to realize what is possible. I cannot tell you how many customers came in to pick up their piece and were in total amazement.

I like your take on the bases acting like matting/frames. Maybe that's why I love this line so much; it's the inner-framer in me!

Thanks DarkHorse! I've been collecting art for 30 years now and spent the greater part of 10 years working in an art gallery myself, so I know exactly what you mean. :lol If I had a dollar for every customer who wanted their framing to match the furniture in a particular room, or who wanted every picture framed exactly the same way regardless of the subject matter, mood, or colours of each individual print :cuckoo:...I think I could probably buy a couple of maquettes with some change left over. But you're right, so many people really don't have a solid understanding of how framing impacts artwork, or in this case, how a base impacts a statue.
And I cannot tell you how your comment concerning the "amazement of customers picking up their art" brings back memories as I think that was probably the most enjoyable part of working in an art gallery. I used to love seeing the shocked look of customers viewing their framed artwork for the first time, never realizing until that very moment just how important, and how much of an impact proper framing had on their artwork.....priceless. :)

Were they unaware that the piece would be enhanced or did they simply want something cheap and simple because retail framing is one of the biggest ripoffs going. I have some awesome framed pieces, and yes I paid out the nose for it and yes it looks awesome. But often I go simple black frame because I just can't fathom the pricing. Seems like you can't leave a frame shop for less than a 100 bill, even with the bogus 60% off offers that all the big retailers offer. Not knocking on you, just venting that no one has cracked the custom framing mafia nut yet. What percent of the pieces brought into Michaels would you say were less expensive than the frame itself???

FWIW I much prefer the molded bases.

But you're right, so many people really don't have a solid understanding of how framing impacts artwork, or in this case, how a base impacts a statue.

I feel the same when I see a 1/6 collection, often all on little black stands :lol, jammed together on a crowded display.

Back