SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus - Link in 1st Post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus

For now I am resisting this piece. If I can manage to afford to get the Rex vs. Triceratops exclusive before it sells out again I'll pick this one up as well because they both look really awesome. So much for will power.

Alright, and now that I have more energy and haven't been awake for 22 hours straight, I can actually churn out this post again. :lol

I have to say I love the direction SS took with this piece. Initially I was a bit confused as to why there was no shoreline in the picture if the Parasaur was being snagged while drinking. The concept of the Parasaurolophus being attacked in mid-swim is actually much more appealing to me. It's extremely evocative of the manner of forceful attacks we see when a Great White shark surges upward while attacking an fur seal. The shere force of the attack is propelling the swimming Parasaur from the water, leaving it airborne and grounded only within the jaws of its killer. I've seen similar tactics when crocodiles attack nile monitors, startling boaters as they rocket through the surface with their prey aloft.

Now to some other details that I find compelling. The description details the Deinosuchus as a 45 foot long female. According to the most recent estimates by Schwimmer, Deinosuchus probably ranged from 30-40 feet in length, with large outliers falling around 40. Now bear in mind this is all rather speculative based on the relatively scant remains we do have for this large crocodilian. That being said, if Deinosuchus was anything like extant crocodilians, males are larger than females. This specimen in the diorama would be extremely large, even based on current estimates for Deinosuchus. However, the size for the female in the diorama could be make plausible if it were a specimen having survived to an abundant count of years. Unlike mammals, crocodiles don't stop growing with age, so perhaps this female is very, very old; say 100+ years at least. Then the size and gender coupling could actually make sense. With crocodiles, the individuals of advanced age are no less formidable as geriatrics; rather they are the largest and, terrifyingly, most cunning.

The guile brings me to my next observation here. The backstory is written quite intriguingly, to make the female appear quite calculating. This could tie into the observation that this is certainly a geriatric individual, and with a keen knowledge of her surroundings. Crocodiles are extremely territorial, and once an individual carves out a territory, they often hold it for decades if not the better part of a century from rivals. The result is an individual which knows its environment, and the prey within it, extremely well. Crocodiles are indeed much more intelligent than people usually give them credit. They aren't simply large mindless brutes. For example, Estuarine crocodiles have been known to haul sharks out of the water in order to dispatch them more easily... a most interesting adaptive and likely learned behavior for organisms which have evolved chiefly to drag large terrestrial animals into the water where the prey is dismembered and killed. Equally compelling is that with smaller fish, crocodiles dine in the water, bringing their heads to the surface as they attempt to swallow their prey as quickly as possible... whereas sharks are brought to shore, held within the jaws for a time, and when they cease to struggle as furiously, are shredded and eaten in turn. Completely different tactics to hunt and kill prey specimens, and evocative of what makes the animals rightly wondrous and frightening.

Just burned up my Reward Points on this one. Knocked $119 off the price :peace

*love me some dinosaurs . . . *

Did that for the Carnotaurus myself! :rock Gotta love the reward points!

This new piece looks great, but where is the piece that was shown in the COmic-Con Teaser video ?
The one with the spikes ???

Like JC, I am inclined to say it is one of the spikes from the Styracosaurus. In hindsight they probably shouldn't have included it in the SDCC teaser.

Aw, you guys should have preordered from me. I'd have given you a discount. :D

I think the blood is adequate. It's a fresh wound, after all. Poor fella will probably get ripped apart shortly after drowning.

Well, I must say I have a great deal of consumer loyalty with SSC based on past service and the awesome and friendly artisans they have aboard, and the reward points don't hurt much either, nor the customer service, nor getting the pieces as soon as SS releases them. ;)

That being said, how much of a discount are we talking here? If you could guarantee a low edition number I'd be intrigued. ;) :D

Also, as to the gore with this most recent diorama, it has nothing to do with the freshness of the wound and everything to do with the type of dentition inflicting it. Compare the bite of a crocodile today with that of a Tiger shark. A fresh bite from a crocodile can have little to no blood since the teeth essentially just impale and hold, whereas with a Tiger shark blood will flow freely almost immediately from a fresh bite being that the teeth are designed to saw through flesh and bone with relative ease via serrations and sharp lateral shaking of the maw, gouging out large chunks of the prey organism rather than keeping it in anchored. Crocodilians maintain a hold on their prey until the organism is dispatched, whereas most species of large predatory sharks deal a vicious initial blow and then pull back and wait for the victim to bleed to death, a tactic shared by many species of large monitors as well. This is why, for example, you would see a much greater amount of blood from an initial wound inflicted by a Tyrannosaur than you would from a wound inflicted by a Deinosuchus. Granted, if a crocodile were to loosen its vice-like grip, there would be blood, though not the profusion one might expect from other carnivores. I'm not sure whether the amount of gore in the piece was intentional or not, but to have the amount that they do, if planned, is really very insightful on the part of Anthony Mestas, Pablo Viggiano and the rest of the team.

Last edited:

For now I am resisting this piece. If I can manage to afford to get the Rex vs. Triceratops exclusive before it sells out again I'll pick this one up as well because they both look really awesome. So much for will power.

Welcome to the diorama dark side, my friend. :naughty

After seeing more pictures on the site I agree that it looks really cool that it doesn't have any shoreline. There's one picture taken from an angle that looks down on the two that is an especially chilling view.

Welcome to the diorama dark side, my friend. :naughty

It was only a matter of time. Still, I'll have to wait and see if I can swing it. I've got so much other stuff on order I may not have the funds to do it.

Alright, and now that I have more energy and haven't been awake for 22 hours straight, I can actually churn out this post again. :lol
You, not have the energy to post your opinion? Shocking! :lol

You know I kid buddy heheh...

Great post again my friend, I'm telling you, writing a book=bestseller! :D

Last edited:
Re: SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus - ORDER NOW!! Link in 1st Post

Yeah, write a book, Scar! I always enjoy the prehistoric color commentary. :lecture

I have come to appreciate crocodilians more now. They're still around, and they're certainly not the mindless killers we make them out to be. The backstory on the SSC page is great!

I also must say that the team behind Dinosauria seems to be doing something right when they haven't once let down our resident expert Scar. ;)

Re: SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus - ORDER NOW!! Link in 1st Post

I don't have control over the edition numbers, sheesh. All I could offer is a lower price.

Anyway, I am impressed with the piece. I particularly like the muddied water splashing straight out into the air. It is also worth noting the hadrosaur's crest, which appears slightly shorter than that of a fully grown Parasaurolophus. In other words, it really is a sub-adult, like the backstory described.

Speaking of which, did someone different write this one? I like it, although the anthropomorphic qualities are a bit weird.

I didn't care too much for the humanization either.

You, not have the energy to post your opinion? Shocking! :lol

You know I kid buddy heheh...

Great post again my friend, I'm telling you, writing a book=bestseller! :D

Yeah, write a book, Scar! I always enjoy the prehistoric color commentary. :lecture

I have come to appreciate crocodilians more now. They're still around, and they're certainly not the mindless killers we make them out to be. The backstory on the SSC page is great!

I also must say that the team behind Dinosauria seems to be doing something right when they haven't once let down our resident expert Scar. ;)

:bow Thanks, gents! I wish I had the time. Spent all of today at work, yesterday at a party for people I don't even know, and Saturday mainly observing a male Sharp-shinned hawk hunting finches and sparrows, snatching them right off their perches; our little guy has a 91% success rate for kills this year so far! :rock Seems like I'm always kept busy with something and I have to sneak away to check the computer any more. Got to the point yesterday where I was running out to the car to check my laptop during the party to see if the diorama went up for sale yet, just between us. :lol

Speaking of which, did someone different write this one? I like it, although the anthropomorphic qualities are a bit weird.
I didn't care too much for the humanization either.

Yes, I was going to make inquiries regarding that. It many ways the writing style seems different, but in a great deal more it is rather similar. It could very well be written that way to emphasize the age and sagacity of the hunter. I thought it was different, but no less cool.

What's kill success rate, the number of times the hunt results in a kill? I thought the prey escaped more often than not.

What's kill success rate, the number of times the hunt results in a kill? I thought the prey escaped more often than not.

Exactly what it sounds. It's the percentage of depredations which result in successful kills. And in the vast majority of extant carnivores, prey items do tend to get escape far more than they are brought down and slain. Extant avian raptors, falcons in particular, are known for high success ratios. Males being lighter than females often expend more kilocalories in hunts, but bring back a substantially higher volume of prey than the females which usually weigh 150% that of the average male.

The sexually selective pressures in raptors resulting in reverse sexual dimorphism (larger females and smaller males) is actually one of the areas where I do a lot of research, and intriguingly the disparity is the greatest in species that principally hunt avian prey. To speak more plainly, the males are much smaller compared to females in raptors that hunt other birds, and plausibly the reason for this is that females select for males that are lighter and better capable of maneuvering after small, dynamic, aerial prey. The resulting two morphs in a given mated pair, larger females and smaller males, have greatly differing success ratios, on average, based on what we've been finding lately. The larger female may have a success ratio of around 40%, whereas a male of comparable age and experience can average upwards of 70%. It's very, very wild stuff and it's helping us to make a lot of exciting deductions applicable to areas outside of modern raptors across other extant as well as extinct species and how they respond to different pressures over monogamous and polygynous species. Sorry for the rambling. I drank the zoological Kool Aid years ago, and there's simply no going back. :lol Lecturing is a side effect, I've found.

Anyhoo, I'm very excited for the male we've been following, he's simply a staggering hunter. We watched him dart in and snag a finch from its perch on a branch rather deep in the forest, and literally seconds later a finch which we didn't even notice took flight... only to find itself at the receiving end of our predator's attention as he banked back around in an elegant 180 and grabbed his new victim. It's amazing how quickly the treetops burst into a flurry of chirping and instants later go as silent as a sepulcher. :angelsmil

Poor birdies... :monkey2 :p

This and Vader were the pieces of the Con from SS as far as I'm concerned. :lecture

This and Vader were the pieces of the Con from SS as far as I'm concerned. :lecture

Were you able to make it to the Con, LOTRFan? If so, how did these bad boys look in person?

Also, your screen name reminds me that I need to sell the pair of tickets that my sister got me for Christmas to see The Two Towers with a live orchestra in DC at the end of August. Can't attend due to a class I've decided to take, which is most unfortunate. :banghead

Interesting. This ratio is unique to male raptors, you say? Do any other species have a reputation for putting out these numbers?

And what's this about Two Towers in DC? I'm not that far away, so I might have go in your stead. :D

Dumb question, well not really, but how do you pronounce these guys names? And don't use those fancy dictionary upside down e's and things, I never know what those mean. :lol

Were you able to make it to the Con, LOTRFan? If so, how did these bad boys look in person?

Also, your screen name reminds me that I need to sell the pair of tickets that my sister got me for Christmas to see The Two Towers with a live orchestra in DC at the end of August. Can't attend due to a class I've decided to take, which is most unfortunate. :banghead

They all look great in person. Here're some shots I took. :D

Click here for more SDCC pics.
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=92361

Last edited:

Great pics thx! The detail in these protos are really looking beautiful, hoping that our pieces come out just as good...I really can't wait for my Carnotaurus now :rock

Great pics thx! The detail in these protos are really looking beautiful, hoping that our pieces come out just as good...I really can't wait for my Carnotaurus now :rock

Thanks, JC.

The protos are indeed VERY detailed. Based on the already released one. I think we'll get a close-enough-look for production piece.

Hi, thanks for the pics. I had been hoping someone would get some good pics of these. I just placed an order for each on the wait list. Hope they make more.

Back