SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus - Link in 1st Post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small? These are some of the biggest, baddest dinosaurs I own. Guess I'm not a true SS "Freak" in that sense.

Yeah I definitely mean how many. I think the size of these are great. If they were bigger it'd be really hard to find a place for them.

Selfishness basically. Knowing I've got something that only 100 or less people have as well. I don't care if something has a small edition size, but its always exciting when something does. Also I think the smaller edition size on this increases the quality control.

Selfishness basically. Knowing I've got something that only 100 or less people have as well. I don't care if something has a small edition size, but its always exciting when something does. Also I think the smaller edition size on this increases the quality control.

Quality control is a HUGE part of it. When you have a collectible line with a cap at, say, 5,000, you're more likely to get sloppy paint apps as the numbers progress, and producing that many pieces with the most intricate of detailing isn't financially feasible, considering how many people are likely to buy high end merchandise of this nature. Better to raise the price, keep the edition numbers low, and provide as much intricacy as possible so as to keep collectors happy and coming back for more. 5,000 pieces with scant detailing and sloppy paint application that declines all the more as numbers increase, or 150 pieces all of which sport an abundance of minutia that we freakish individuals can pore over for hours.

Quality, personal pride, and resale value all contribute to a craving for a low ES. Usually people clamor over lower numbers because the paint application is likely to be quite good in that first bunch of pieces released. Now with Dinosauria that hasn't been an issue, because what for most lines would be considered the "first wave" of an edition (say, 100-250 pieces) is for Dinosauria the ENTIRE edition. Quality control, as we've seen, has garnered SS exalting critical reviews for this line in particular. And we collectors are better for it.

Last edited:
But strictly speaking, how do you know that if the number of pieces was doubled, the quality would diminish noticeably? On a purely statistical level, shouldn't the percentage of mishaps be the same?

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that since these are handpainted the more a person paints the more boring it will get and the less effort will be put into it. Say an edition size of 100 means each person will paint 10, versus an edition size of five thousand where each person would paint alot more.

Also if there are only 100 it is possible that each one is inspected where I imagine with the much larger edition sizes they only check a percentage. And the higher the es the lower the percentage they check I bet. But I could be wrong about that. They may check the same percentage whether there is 100 or 5,000.

my wait list converted for this one too. might keep it. i like it better than the T-rex vs Triceratops. and i like the Parasaurolophus. hope we get a regular one in the line.

It's the croc that makes it so desireable for me. I think its just awesome.

I'm on a tentaive line regarding this one and the Styraco...they look as nice as the previous pieces ..but money is a factor for me..and I know there are going to be some really awesome pieces coming up...maybe I'll be able to tell more after the next piece is revealed.. :?

Both come out 1st QTR 2010 right ? That's Jan, Feb, March ? I'm not sure I could do both of these within three months..lol

Just wait until we get a shipping soon notice before you cancel. It'll give you time to save up and see if you can swing both, as well as see a future release or two.

I don't know, for what each piece sells for, I don't think quality control should be a major issue for them. I think they're just made in smaller numbers to raise the demand and value.

Either way, I am looking forward to this one. It looks to have one of the best paint jobs so far, especially with the intricate patterns on the hadrosaur.

For me, the croc (dienosuchus) is the key reason why I am getting it.

And that croc skull that comes with the Ex Edition will make for a good display piece with my Hot Toys Predator figures. :) For that reason alone, I have no choice but to purchase this direct from SSC despite the high international shipping costs.

For the other Dinosuaria pieces (including future releases), I have decided to purchase from other retailers instead of buying direct from SSC.

But strictly speaking, how do you know that if the number of pieces was doubled, the quality would diminish noticeably? On a purely statistical level, shouldn't the percentage of mishaps be the same?

I know based on very expensive mistakes - pieces purchased in lines with very high edition sizes and resulting poor quality. It's a disappointment, a pain to have to resell, and in the long run almost always results in a net loss once word of the poor quality for a particular run on a piece spreads online. Not once has this ever been a problem for me with pieces with low edition sizes. Based on yeeeeeears of collecting, smaller numbers = much, much, much better quality control, and an infinitely better overall product. Again, it's not usually financially feasible to make a line with 10,000 polystone pieces encompassing the tiniest minutia in detail into the sculpt, and as Agent put it, with only 100 or so pieces, being that these are hand-painted the artisans are considerably more likely to put in the best possible effort with a small number of pieces as opposed to a high ES.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that since these are handpainted the more a person paints the more boring it will get and the less effort will be put into it. Say an edition size of 100 means each person will paint 10, versus an edition size of five thousand where each person would paint alot more.

Also if there are only 100 it is possible that each one is inspected where I imagine with the much larger edition sizes they only check a percentage. And the higher the es the lower the percentage they check I bet. But I could be wrong about that. They may check the same percentage whether there is 100 or 5,000.

Spot on from what I've heard from sources in SS, GG, and HT. Smaller quantity = higher quality in that individuals are more likely to check not only the paint apps but for damage to a piece as well.

I don't know, for what each piece sells for, I don't think quality control should be a major issue for them. I think they're just made in smaller numbers to raise the demand and value.

If a perfect world, we would indeed get what we pay for, but sadly that isn't always the case. Always best to hope for a low ES.

I see. So by rule of thumb, anything in polystone or made in low quantities tends to maintain value?

Small quantities do I think. Polystone not so much. I think most SW PF's resell below value, but I could be mistaken on that. Since I've never sold any of my stuff I don't pay too much attention to resale values.

Back