Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aragorn Maquette Teaser

Aragorn looks nice. I'm tempted... then I remembered some of poses in the concept art for the other characters.

I'm sure they'll tweak some of them. The Aragorn is different the what was originally shown already.

I am mostly a Marvel fan but I must recognize LOTR is an epic line. I really love what is being hinted about this line so far. Really considering acquiring a few of these pieces depending on the price they charge though I am pretty sure they will be in the 200$+ range. What do you think? Will this line be popular enough so that Sideshow charges as much as they do for their LOTR PFs?

ps Excuse me for my english, I am almost drunk tonight :nana:

I am even tempted by this teaser, even though I stick to the dark side more...

I'm not going to get too excited about this until I see a full reveal and a price. I'm sure it'll look great, but I don't want to spend $225, $250 or more for these maquettes.
Hey Choopie, good to see you! :wave

Yeah, that eXtreme Gandalf was wack.

Tho the Arwen one had real promise.

But lets face it, between the SSW Gandalf the Grey, the one on Shadowfax and the SS Gandlaf the Grey PF, if one can't find an iconic Gandalf that you like, there is something wrong with you. :lol

I like the sculpt of Strider as a proper Strider/Ranger (hood on), I should have just about enough RP's to get this free; so I might just order. :yess:

I'm with you. I like what I see so far with the Strider maquette, but if it's going to be in the price range people have suggested, I'd rather save my cash for the next PF (Gimli :pray:), and spend my RPs for this one.

Seeing the unpainted prototype makes me wish they'd also release these in kit form. Not only would it be a fun figure to build and paint, it would likely bring the price down, too.

Based on tons of comments I've read on the boards over the years, a lot of people seem to be locked into a specific image of a given character - if it shows any movement for instance, they automatically reject it. I personally look at each statue on its individual merits in deciding whether to spend my $$.

I really like the initial drawings of Legolas and of GTG in poses of activity. I've got the Leggy PF and I have the GTG PF on order but these maquettes would be different enough to spur me on to purchase them as well. Variety is the spice of life!

These shouldn't be as expensive as the PF's....these are not mixed media after all. But still i expect them to be more than the old SSW statues, purely because everything is now more expensive!
This *might* tempt me, as it's Strider, but having the SSW Aragorn, Elessar, and the Helms Deep dio, it's gotta be REALLY good for me to get another Aragorn and in a different line.

I'd be surprised if it was under $200, but you never know...

...Really considering acquiring a few of these pieces depending on the price they charge though I am pretty sure they will be in the 200$+ range. What do you think? Will this line be popular enough so that Sideshow charges as much as they do for their LOTR PFs?...

These shouldn't be as expensive as the PF's....these are not mixed media after all. But still i expect them to be more than the old SSW statues, purely because everything is now more expensive!...

If these pieces are priced anywhere near the $200.00 being thrown around, I'm already predicting the failure of the line. Unless the ES is super low for each piece (under 300), I don't see these moving at all if they're priced so near the cost of a PF, regardless of how nice they come out.

SS is oversaturating their own LOTR lines. Even though many collectors are of the latest/greatest type, selling off pieces to buy the new, I just don't think there's a demand/market to warrant $200 1/6th statues anymore, let alone if high ES's are involved.

(I'm guessing ES of 750 priced at $175.00 for each.)

Which puts it very much in line with some Marvel pre-orders, like Mystique, Black Widow and Psylocke statues.

But then again, you have the Elektra - Comiquette, which is $225 or the Psylocke - Comiquette, which is $265.

So it could go either way, or as some of us think, drop in the middle. The question is, can they be considered totally separate from the PF line when it comes to price comparisons and even then, your still left with the Weta items, along with SS other goes at main characters like Aragorn (ie the dio's).
Will that be enough for SS to keep the cost down, or will they say, stuff it, they will still sell out in the end.

I don't see how both the maquette and diorama lines can both stay viable, something will have to give.

While I'm not entirely opposed to another line of LotR figures, such as maquettes, I think it does sort of undermine the PF line, which is finally hitting its stride with the recent releases of Aragorn, Legolas, and with Gandalf the Grey on the way. I'd be all for it if there were no PF line already.

If they want to make 1:6 scale figures, I'd much prefer they continued with the preexisting 1:6 line... which was also finally hitting its stride, I might add. :gandalf

I don't see how both the maquette and diorama lines can both stay viable, something will have to give.

noooo i love the dioramas! Although, space and money wise i could do with them doing just a few more - Treebeard, Fellowship in Moria, council of Elrond, Sam vs Shelob......

noooo i love the dioramas! Although, space and money wise i could do with them doing just a few more - Treebeard, Fellowship in Moria, council of Elrond, Sam vs Shelob......

I love the dioramas when done properly as in with a decent amount of scenery/foreground (like the Saruman v Gandalf); but when it comes to purely polystone pieces and a property like LOTR I don't see how both can continue in the long-term.

If these pieces are priced anywhere near the $200.00 being thrown around, I'm already predicting the failure of the line. Unless the ES is super low for each piece (under 300), I don't see these moving at all if they're priced so near the cost of a PF, regardless of how nice they come out.

SS is oversaturating their own LOTR lines. Even though many collectors are of the latest/greatest type, selling off pieces to buy the new, I just don't think there's a demand/market to warrant $200 1/6th statues anymore, let alone if high ES's are involved.

Oversaturation? Three LOTR pre-orders in the last 50+ weeks and I can safely say that is so far down the list of concerns I have that it doesn't even register. Visiting the LOTR section of this forum is like visiting a ghost town on most days so if SS wants to start pumping these maquettes out one after another then I say go for it! Anything's better than what been happening lately, or rather, not happening lately.

And I'm not sure what a "latest/greatest type" collector is, but if it involves replacing some older SSW pieces with newer SS versions then put me in the guilty column. As long as SS continues to produce statues with outstanding likenesses, finely detailed bases, and terrific overall compositions then count me in. Even if this Aragorn maquette [sculpted by the incomparable Trevor Grove] was priced at $200, which I highly doubt, I'd pay it in a heartbeat as opposed to paying $400+ for an Aragorn statue that doesn't remotely look like Viggo.

The original SS/W pieces will always hold a special place for a lot of collectors and I don't think this 'new line' will take that away. They have to be different in pose and representation and a hooded 'Strider' is a great start.
Still very quiet on the LOTR front though... Wasn't there a RW being hinted at a while ago? :impatient:

Back