Last crusade Motorcycle and sidecar custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alrighty, so now I took Tamiya buff and thinned it heavily and airbrushed it along the underside of everything, I also streaked the bike with it to produce the base for the weathering "rain" marks. It looks a little garish now, but the toning and shading washes and drybrushing will tone things down quite a bit. Now the fun stuff begins!

Loving the new pics! Keep up the good work!

Best,

Robert

Thank you very much! Im in the home stretch. . .well sort of. This is the point I start enhancing all the details as well as shading and highlighting the main color. So now I have started my round of washes and filters. I basically take artist oil paint and thin it heavily and apply this over the entire bike about three to five times, depending on how heavy the individual washes go on. I don't have an exact formula, I just kinda go for it. Hers some pics of the media used and the bike after the first pass. Many more to come.

And heres some more pix, the effect is really subtle so far, but you will see it develop over the next week

Very nice work. Can't wait to see the small details come out :)

Thanks Rob, Im almost to the detail painting such as markings, engine detail, rusting of exhausts and such. That will be next weekends photos! Okiedokie heres some pics of the bike after about three washes. After which I will do some minor drybrushing and start all the detail painting.

Nice, that grass and mudd sure looks cool. Will you give them a retouch in color as well?

Adsolutly, Theres actually lots of steps left, I will respray the tamiya buff in a very fine layer along the bottom, and I will also be using pigment powders towards the end to give it a very realistic dusty look to it. I am detailing the engine and exhaust as we speak and also will start the emblem painting this weekend. I cant wait to show you some new pics.
-Hoyt

Ok mid week update, just for Rob :)

Heres some pics of the engine and some paint detail on the entire main bike. Ive used a sponge chipping technique. I basically use a piece of packing foam that I rip up and dip it in the "chipped" color and just dab it on to the prominent areas and areas that see the most wear. With the engine, which is still in progress I have drybrushed it with gunmetal and then added many different tones of brown, black, and orange washes to recreat different rust and oiled tones.

And heres some more pics, sorry the lighting has washed the color out a bit, Ill take some better pics this weekend

Rusty parts really look cool. Like the small details. :happy

Alrighty, so now I have painted on a fine matrix of scratches starting with a light gray, over that went on a dark gray, this is to simulate the paint ndiscoloration(sp?) that happens around scratches. I have also re-apllied the dust mixture around the bottom edges of the bike, which is just Tamiya buff highly thinned and shot through an airbrush. Over top this in the final stages I will use pigment powders to impart a very realistic dusty look. Please not I am still playing with my lighting as I just cant seem to find the right lighting in my house to show the true colors of the bike, I suppose I will have to invest in a photographers light box, like the kind you take pictures of models and stuff you put on ebay. If anyone knows where to get one I would love to know

Back