"Kingdom of The Crystal Skull" 5 Years Later.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the biggest issue for me with KOTCS is the fact that I saw this movie as an adult. I'm sure that if I saw it when I was 13 (the same age I saw ToD) I wouldn't have had any issues with it. There are scenes in ToD which are just as ridiculous as some of the scenes in KOTCS, but I'm more forgiving of them at an older age because the movie is just embedded in childhood nostalgia.

On the viewing as a child note.. my kids LOVE KOTCS.. love it... so for me the enjoyment of that film has been watching my own kids get a kick out of the character... as much as I hate the monkey sequence.. my 3 year old son totally digs it.. so in the end.. I am cool with it... although, and this is absolutely the most dead horse ever.. I do so wish that KOTCS had been done quite differently.. would love to see a rough, grizzly older Indy... even Shia's character could have had serious potential...as did Mac's.. and the return of MArion could have been worked as well... but crappy writing, plot and Lucas killed it for me as an adult Indy fan..

Collapsing rope bridge....

Right....

But there was something gritty, thrilling, and immediate about that scene.
Indy had a crazy gaze in his eye that he didnt even approach in Skull.
That look said, hey, if im gonna go, we are all going to go and it felt intense. Also, yes, while the kid and the girl did tie on, the rest fell down to the gators for the most part.
Indy was willing to die with the stones to keep them from the kali ma

The last crusade building at least had a sense of gravity that was real...ie real falling rocks and such.

Everything about the SKull scene was CGI

Right....

But there was something gritty, thrilling, and immediate about that scene.
Indy had a crazy gaze in his eye that he didnt even approach in Skull.
That look said, hey, if im gonna go, we are all going to go and it felt intense. Also, yes, while the kid and the girl did tie on, the rest fell down to the gators for the most part.
Indy was willing to die with the stones to keep them from the kali ma

The last crusade building at least had a sense of gravity that was real...ie real falling rocks and such.

Everything about the SKull scene was CGI

Yes, he wasnt as tough or mean or gruff enough in Skull for me, in raiders when hes kicking the **** out of those nazis in the truck scene...Nutter. :lol

Yes, he wasnt as tough or mean or gruff enough in Skull for me, in raiders when hes kicking the **** out of those nazis in the truck scene...Nutter. :lol

One of the quintessential Indy moments for me is when in Raiders he pulls the gun out and shoots the swordsman. That part of Indy’s personality was not in Krystal Skull. Some aspects of Indy’s personality they kept, some they borrowed from Sr and others they left out completely.

Most of the movie tried to recapture past Indy moments. They had to have a scene with creatures (ants instead of snakes, bugs or rats), booby-traps although these weren’t really traps more like hidden levelers and puzzles, a temple falling apart (end temple like raiders temple, doom’s temple and crusade’s temple), supernatural deadly force (skulls power at the end like arks, stones and grail), artifact switching hands back and forth (skull like ark), double cross (you had it in crusade). More than any of the other movies it tried to capture pieces of the past but it wasn’t the only Indy movie to do it. I think age is a BIG factor in enjoyment of it. Just look at how many young kids like the new star wars movies compared to how many of the older generation like them. Heck, go back and watch the first Star Wars movie objectively and you will see a lot more bad lines and bad acting than you thought there was.

Geez, it's really been 5 years already? Anybody know if a fifth film is in the works?

I saw every Indy film in the theaters.

I tried hard to like this, but too many things get in the way. I like the Star Wars prequels, this, just trashes and makes so many unbelievable character moments.

Smiling Cheshire Cat who never told you about a son despite your being easy enough to track down on a college campus but is still oddly infatuated with you years later being the worst for me.

Reanimating aliens is a close second. Makes no sense that the skull would have left their possession.

So much unrealized potential.

Still, hope they make another one. Just like I will watch the next Star Wars.

I still contest, to this day, that the fridge scene could have worked really well if Indy had come out of it looking seriously beaten and battered up, rather than just a touch sore and unsure on his feet. And given the way the plot went, there's no reason to feel like he didn't have enough time to heal up before everything kicks off properly again, so there was no excuse for not doing that either.

The only other moments that always bug me are the cgi ants and the whole thing with the monkeys. In both cases I know what they were going for, but they miss it by a damn mile, and it looks ten times worse as a result. The forced snake/quicksand scene just pushes the joke way too far as well.

I also contest that if you took the charisma and chemistry of Sean Connery as Henry sr out of Last Crusade, it wouldn't look and feel a whole hell of a lot different than Crystal Skull ended up.

I like Crystal Skull, I think Ford is mostly pretty damn good in it, I just think it is tonally uneven, and littered with a few too many flaws, many of which could have been finessed, but for some inexplicable reason either nobody saw them at the time, or nobody cared enough to make that final effort. Which is all a bit of a shame really.

Then what is a good film?

A. One that turns a profit

B. One that the majority of people like

C. One that critics like

D. One that wins awards

E. Meets all of the above

F. One that I like.

I honestly don't care about any of the other things listed. Just as I don't much care if I'm the only one who likes something, or one of a million who do. My tastes are my own, as are my opinions, and I'm good with that regardless of how anyone else feels. :)

Ford says he's still game for a fifth IJ.......if it is ever made(and it'll have to be soon) it HAS to be better than KOTCS....not that I thought that film was awful but as stated the last third is a misfire.....

Its a fun movie! As to why Indy doesn't have the same grit and personality as in Raiders... well look at him! People CHANGE as they age. He still kicked butt. I loved it, except for the abismal monkeys scene.

My comments in bold :)

Also this was an enjoyable read.

WARNING: LOOOOOOoooooooong. :lol

Today marks five (5) years since the release of INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.

Of course, the film’s critical reception (among fandom, in particular) has been well-chronicled, particularly on the internet where hyperbole and rhetoric run amok. I’m not interested in re-visiting the extreme opinions on the movie. Instead, I’d rather look back at the film now with a rational, level-headed examination of it and its place in the INDY pantheon.

In short, I still don’t hate the movie like most seem to by default now. In fact, overall I still find it workable, and I think it’s a more worthy installment in its series than the Star Wars prequels were. But I’ll get to that in a bit...

I don't know if saying default is fair. When this film takes a nose dive it dives hard.

This movie has its fair share of problems and issues. There is really no question about that. However, I think these faults continue to be at least a tad overblown, and many have thrown the baby out with the bathwater with this movie and never looked back. For all its problems, there is still some good stuff here.

I can't speak for everyone but I think most Indy fans had to have given this film a second chance and while I agree there are some good moments in this film, the bad really, really bring this film down.

After watching it again recently for the first time in a while, I was delighted to see that I still very much enjoy the first 45 minutes or so of the film, not only as a movie … but as an Indy flick.

I agree with you 100% here. The last time I watched this one (about 6 months or so ago) I was impressed with how much I enjoyed the first 45 min.

With a few notable exceptions (silly, unnecessary prairie dogs and the cemetery warriors) this movie is pretty good at least up until we get to the Russian jungle camp (more on that in a moment). The opening sequence at “Hangar 51” works, not only as a dive into Indy’s world in this era but also as an homage to the films of this era. Even the ADR (post-recorded dialog) was recorded and mixed with that in mind. Incidentally, these things (along with the movie’s major conceit of playing within the 1950’s sci-fi B-movie pallet) are some of what many don’t like about the film. And that’s too bad. Because if you can wrap your head around and accept that aspect of KOTCS on the surface it becomes much more palatable and enjoyable. At least until the Second Act.

I did not even hate the prairie dogs...Well at least not enough to ever complain about.

The Hangar 51/Area 51 sequence also features some pretty good Indy action. The chase through the warehouse, culminating in some swashbuckling on chains, a brief fist-fight and then a ride on a rocket sled is pretty close to quintessential, post-RAIDERS Indy. The follow up “Doom Town” sequence is an absolute trip to another era, from the perfectly manicured lawns, cookie-cutter homes, primary-colors and “Leave It To Beaver” aesthetic to the television music. We are right in mid-1950s Americana. Hell, there is in a Good Humor ice cream truck for good measure. And I enjoy the symbolism. It’s a Stepford Wives level façade. The town is fake, and exists only as a test site for the atomic bomb, the true symbol of this early cold war era.

Then… the fridge. This is where the film loses many of its detractors. But I am not among them. As over-the-top and unrealistic as it is, the nuked fridge is just zany Indy fun along the lines of the raft parachute from TEMPLE OF DOOM. I like the fridge bit. I liked in 2008, and I like it now. Sue me. I like Harrison Ford in most of this movie, and his age is never once a problem. Also, there are issues a plenty with this flick, but Harrison Ford and his age are not among them.

I have never had an issue with the fridge. I find it fun and very Indy like. Indy looking up at the atomic blast is one of the best images in the entire series IMO.

From there, we’re taken to a scene in which Indy is debriefed by some G-men. This is actually one of the better scenes in the movie, and Harrison Ford does some great work here. His speech about “that Air Force fiasco in ‘47” absolutely harkens to the Harrison Ford heyday of the early 80s. And the hinted at backstory of Indy as a WWII Special Services operative who went on many missions in both Europe and the Pacific is a tantalizing addition to Indy canon.

From the FBI interrogation scene we’re taken back to the fictional Marshall College. Unfortunately, the death of Denholm Elliott means that the Marcus Brody character couldn’t be here, but the great Jim Broadbent fills in nicely as Stanforth, the Dean at Marshall College. When you think about it, this character actually has some pretty great dialog, too.

Then the Mutt character is introduced, and the film begins to lose even more fans and make more detractors/”haters”. Again, I am not with them. While I’m not a Shia LeBouf fan I believe his screen persona works for certain characters, and this just happens to be one of them. What’s more, he has some genuine screen chemistry with Harrison Ford here. Their scene in the diner is great, and perfectly reflects both characters at the same time. By the time that scene is over, we know everything we need to about this young man already, and Indy’s view of him. That’s good story-telling and good acting.

I find the Diner scene very enjoyable and I like the Mutt character for the most part. Well until the film starts to fall apart but then I hate everyone.

The diner encounter leads to a very good motorcycle chase scene that works on every necessary level. First, it’s just good stuff, perfectly shot and edited. It has thrills, action, and even comedic moments that aren’t embarrassingly juvenile. And it continues with nice character moments, too. There is a nice moment where Mutt snickers in amusement while Indy gives him a cold stare of disapproval. We’re seeing a mirror reflection of the motorcycle chase sequence from THE LAST CRUSADE here, only this time Indy is the disproving curmudgeon along for the ride.

I thought the Motor Bike Chase was very fun and fit the film very well. Still a good Indy flick here.

After the chase scene, we’re back to a quiet moment of exposition between Indy and Mutt, setting up the rest of the story. But because of the chemistry between the two actors even this scene works well and betrays its completely contrived existence.

Indy and Mutt travel to South America. Peru, to be exact. This transition leads to another scene of interesting dialog and banter between the two as they walk through the streets of a village in Nazca. Spielberg also makes neat use of the some very historic sets on the Universal lot here (the village set was used in many of the classic Universal Monster movies). Again, the film is absolutely self-aware of its pulpy origins.

From here, the film goes through a series of scenes that serve mostly as more exposition. But, again, because of the actors and their characters, they remain interesting. After an unnecessarily silly bit with “cemetery warriors”, Indy and Mutt do some actual tomb exploring that again is quintessential INDY. There is even a sublime fulcrum release lever reference (a nod to TEMPLE OF DOOM), for good measure. But let’s go back to those cemetery warriors for a second. They’re not only silly and a tad too specious, this also leads to a moment that I feel completely betrays the Indy character…

During this silly sequence, it’s established that the warriors aren’t just there to do goofy gymnastics and make nonsensical animal sounds… they’re actively trying to KILL Mutt and Indy with poison darts. Why this goes on for more than a few seconds is a question only the filmmakers can answer. Because the fact of the matter is Indy is not defenseless here. He’s armed, with both his trusty whip and his revolver. The Indy of the previous films would have simply cracked the whip and popped a few caps. Done. Not here. He hides, comes out and kills one of the warriors by blowing the poison dart into their mouth in reverse (even worse, it plays as humor) and then… scares away the other by just drawing his gun. So, Indy goes out of his way to kill one of the guys with a poison dart, but his gun is apparently just a prop? This is the current, Politically-Correct Spielberg bringing his personal and political views on firearms and reflecting them, wrongly, onto the character of Indiana Jones. Indy is no pacifist. He’s a rogue. The Indy we know and love would have wasted no time mowing down these clowns. Instead, he’s stuck in a movie where only the bad guys actually use guns. Because… well, P.C. Dumb.

I agree with everything.. But I was willing to even give the "No Guns" Indy part a pass. What frustrates me more. The fact they changed the "Part Time" line from what we heard in the trailer. Ford delivered that line perfectly in the trailer. Bad *** Indy style. I don't know what they were going for with this take. Still I am enjoying the film.

But I digress… After retrieving the Crystal Skull from inside one of the cemetery tombs, Indy and Mutt are captured by turncoat Mac and the Russians. And this is the moment where the film goes off the rails…

Once we get to the Russian camp in the jungle the movie takes a decided turn towards, well, camp. Camp as is campy schlock. While upon examination this entire sequence is an obvious nod (even in tone) to 50’s sci-fi fare like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON it just doesn’t work. And that’s because it undermines or falsely portrays key characters. Indy comes across as a total pansy in this sequence. And his role as a skeptic towards the existence of aliens also rings hollow. This is a guy who witnessed the Ark of The Covenant lay waste to an entire Nazi platoon, magic rocks glow and bring instant floral life back into an Indian village, and got the cup of Christ from a 500 year old Knight and brought his father back to life. And he’s going to guffaw and poo-poo the idea of aliens and flying saucers to a Russian scientist? Yeah, sure. I know that’s there to reflect the audiences own skepticism, but it just doesn’t ring true. What’s more, it only serves to make Indy look even more foolish.

I guess I could go on a huge rant here but I wont. I will just say that the Bad starts here and it continues to the end of the film. I even think Ford sucks from here on out. The film turns into a Three's Company Action sit com from here in out. I really can't think of one redeeming quality.

John Hurt’s odd Oxley character is introduced here. Originally meant to be Abner Ravenwood, Oxley and his skull-induced antics really just feels like an odd, out-of-step addition and it’s difficult to feel any of the supposed fondness and connections that Indy and Mutt have for this guy.

But it’s the appearance of Marion Ravenwood that really stops the movie in its tracks. Simply put, this is not the same character from RAIDERS. Not even close. What was once a spumky, feisty, ***-kicking female character comes out here as a constantly smiling goofball. I think too much blame is put on Karen Allen here. Most of the problems with Marion in this film were developed from the script level on up to Spielberg and how he chose to have her portrayed. Ironically, this (Marion’s character) is one of the few things that Frank Darabont nailed in his version of the INDY IV script that was discarded. And it’s a damn shame, because one of the coolest female characters of all time is turned to a farce here.

Marion is Awful in this film. She thinks she is on some sort of high flying happy adventure were there is no danger. She care's nothing about the safety of herself, Indy or her child... She just thinks that everything is a hoot. Screw Both Lucas and Spielberg for allowing this. They both should be ashamed for this half assed attempt at film making.

Once our heroes escape the Russian camp, we’re treated to a silly banter-filled scene in a quicksand (or “dry sand-base”) pond. Any tension this scene had potential for is stripped away immediately for humor-driven dialog between the characters that just falls completely flat. Indy and Marion are supposedly in peril and about to die and it’s played for laughs. The moment where Indy finds out that Mutt is actually his son is played for a joke. There is absolutely zero emotional resonance here. The scene isn’t a complete and total loss, however. Once Mutt brings out a large rat snake to use as a “rope” Harrison Ford briefly brings out some vintage Indy, almost preferring to sink into the sand to being saved by the snake. It’s a good Indy moment. But it’s fleeting, and surrounded by pure cheese.

Awful scene...There is the best example of the "Sit com moments" that George ad Steven seemed to be going for but don't admit to. And to me the Snake joke falls flat because it's forced. All the sticks and branches and vines in the jungle and you grab a snake. Just stupid and like I said... Forced.

Then comes the jungle chase sequence, between several vehicles. This is another frustrating part of the films because it fluctuates between cool stuff (such as Indy jumping from a truck onto a jeep and punching Ruskies) to really bad stuff. That stuff is well-chronicled. Ridiculously staged action (Mutt having a sword fight while straddling two vehicles and getting hit in the nuts by bushes) and one of the worst ideas for an “action scene” in recent memory: Mutt vine-swinging with CGI monkeys. I don’t even need to go further on that one.

Don't forget Mario being critical of her son's fencing while he ights for his life..... After all this is so much fun Weeeeeee! I don't need to comment about the Monkeys. Too much CGI jungle also. Indy is about practical stunts. Sort of got tuff to feel any suspense knowing it was on a green screen stage. It even looked bad.

The sequence ends on a plateau inhabited by Siafu (“big damn ants”, as Indy calls them). While a lot of the ant stuff is a but over-the-top for my tastes, it’s at least better than had they gone with human-sized ants, which was my fear when I’d first heard of this sequence (a long-standing Lucas idea) being shoe-horned into the movie. Siafu are even an actual legend, so there's that, I guess.

Again a good idea ruined by CGI. No CGI snakes in ROTLA, no CGI bugs in TOD, no CGI rats in TLC. I know that you would need some CGI for this scene but again any threat is taken away by the fact that nothing practical was used.

I don’t even want to talk about the nonsensical cliff-jumping onto a tree by Marion thing. I really don’t. I’ll just say that this whole sequence (from start to where the group of heroes is back on land) is easily one of the movie’s nadirs. Even upon first viewing in 2008 I was uncomfortable with it. And it seals the deal on Marion: she’s horrible in this film.

100% agree..... Awful part of the film... Could be the worst. Even worst then Vine Swinging. I could handle it if somehow she accidently went of the cliff and hit the tree branch and it was shown as all luck. That would be fine. Much of Indy getting out of trouble is Luck. But no She knows what she is doing. She smiles before and while she does it and then gives the "I told you so look to Indy... Blah!!"

Now, the Akator stuff I like. This sequence features some of the coolest sets in any recent movie. This includes the huge obelisk, which was actually functional (the pillars actually moved)! Having been to Belize and seen many Mayan ruins up close I can also appreciate the attention to detail and authenticity of the design.

I don't mind the sets. I just find that the film has lost me by now and that this scene is slow and pointless.

Now, the alien/ufo thing. The only thing that bugs me here is the CGI alien and how utterly photo unrealistic it looks. I believe this is the part of the film that lost the last of the movie’s detractors. Just seeing an actual alien (and flying saucer) in an Indiana Jones movie was just too much for some people. But, truth be told, I have no problem with that at all as a concept. I have no issues whatsoever with the 1957 time frame and setting of the movie, and I even like UFO/Alien (“inter-dimensional beings” or whatever) aspects. I just don’t like that damned CGI alien. And at least we were spared the “Welcome to Earth.” line before Indy shoots the alien in the Darabont script. As weak as KOTCS is at times, at least it never stooped to directly quoting (lifting, in fact) an annoying Will Smith line from MEN IN BLACK.

I don't mind the CGI Alien. I am surprised so many claim that this is a big issue for them. It's about Crystal Skulls. Skulls that people think are from Alien worlds. I knew what was coming before I ever saw the film. I think if it was a better movie nobody would have any real issues here.

And so the movie ends with a bit of a whimper after the flying saucer reveal. So more poorly written banter between the main characters leads to Indy and Marion’s wedding. This is a scene that should have had a huge emotional and nostalgic impact for those of us who were weaned on RAIDERS and the original Indy trilogy. Instead, it’s yet another aspect of the movie that falls flat because of the way the characters are portrayed throughout the film. Once again, this is not the same Marion Ravenwood. And her chemistry with Indy is so completely off in the movie that their wedding simply does not resonate. An unfortunate side effect of what is, overall, a mess of a script.

Where the F is Short Round!!!!! ;)
So, that’s it. In the end, this film does not ruin the legacy of Indiana Jones for me like it does for some. In fact, it even added a few neat things to the mythos. And it’s mostly an enjoyable cinematic ride. It’s just replete with nagging issues. That said, it’s not on the same level as the Star Wars prequels for me. Here, Indy is still Indy, despite Harrison Ford’s age and despite some ridiculous situations and scenes the writers and filmmakers put him in.

Here is where I think you are too nice on the film and perhaps it's just too hard for you to come down on a film you have defended over the years. You just get done bashing the last hour and 15 min of the film and yet it is somehow still an "0enjoyable Cinematic ride". The saying goes "A film is only as good as it's ending" Yet you think more then the last half of the film stinks but it's still "Enjoyable" ?? The film just completely falls off the rails and never again finds it's footing. In fact it just keeps tripping and eventually becomes an embarrassment. This IMO makes it anything but enjoyable. I guess you could say it had an enjoyable beginning but it ends there.

I am no Fan of the PT.. But I find them all more enjoyable then KOTCS. But that is like comparing a broken leg to a burned leg. I don't want either.

KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL now sits at the bottom (#4) on my list of favorite INDY movies. But it’s still not a chasm of distance between it and the others. While I still love TEMPLE OF DOOM (to whit, it’s the one INDY movie that is most like an actual 30’s pulp serial) and have grown nostalgically fond of THE LAST CRUSADE, it is still RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK that sits alone and a genre masterpiece. I won’t begrudge KOTCS for failing to touch it. And no matter what anyone says, despite its myriad of facepalms it doesn't tarnish the legacy of RAIDERS or this great franchise.

I will agree that it does not harm the franchise as a whole. Raiders is a true classic and TOD for me is not far behind. I have never been a big fan of TLC and felt that the wheels were starting to come off them. Because these films are basically their own single adventures and it is a sequel instead of a prequel, I think it is easier to ignore. You can stop anytime you want. You can pick and choose which ones to watch. It's not an on going story unlike PT SW. We were all waiting for something great there. We all had "ideas" of what the films should be. The fact that they were prequels messed with the character of the OT. You have to basically ignore all three films and go back to your imagination in order for them not to effect your enjoyment of the OT

6/10

Far to generous 3 out of 10

Amen, like before I agree with almost all of your points, but I give the movie a 6 also. It entertains me to a certain point. Then Marion messes everything up and then it's ok again.

Best,

Robert

Also this was an enjoyable read.

I am no Fan of the PT.. But I find them all more enjoyable then KOTCS. But that is like comparing a broken leg to a burned leg. I don't want either.

Since you brought up the PT, I'll have to say that Kingdom is at the very least a better made film than any of the prequels. Yes, Kingdom has some truly crappy moments and full stretches. But there was logic and sense in the characters' motivations and in how the story unfolded from one situation to the next. Regardless of how moronic Marion behaved, or her choice to drive the car off the cliff, they still made some kind of sense. Really, those were all played for laughs, however un-funny they were.

The PT, however, had huge gaps in logic that the audience was forced to accept purely because it moved the story from point A to point B. And it's not a matter of plot holes, it's simply things that defied all logic or any kind of understanding of human behavior or motivation. And the dialogue on the whole was much worse!

So I'll have to give the edge to Kingdom because at least they had a competent storyteller behind the lens.

Since you brought up the PT, I'll have to say that Kingdom is at the very least a better made film than any of the prequels. Yes, Kingdom has some truly crappy moments and full stretches. But there was logic and sense in the characters' motivations and in how the story unfolded from one situation to the next. Regardless of how moronic Marion behaved, or her choice to drive the car off the cliff, they still made some kind of sense. Really, those were all played for laughs, however un-funny they were.

The PT, however, had huge gaps in logic that the audience was forced to accept purely because it moved the story from point A to point B. And it's not a matter of plot holes, it's simply things that defied all logic or any kind of understanding of human behavior or motivation. And the dialogue on the whole was much worse!

So I'll have to give the edge to Kingdom because at least they had a competent storyteller behind the lens.

Well I for one am not going to argue which is the better film.. KTCS or the PT. I guess I find SW more watchable because there are at least some cool parts and or cool looking characters. I still like Darth Maul, Qui Gon Jinn, the final Saber duel in TPM, the pod race, The emperor in TPM (he was best in the PT in this one and he was mostly a hologram), Anakin killing the Sand People, some of the monsters in the gladiator pit, Obi wan vs Vader was pretty good, the ending on tatooine.

KOTCS had a decent first 45 min but nothing in the PT infuriated me as much as the last 1:15 of KOTCS.

But that is just my opinion of course. I guess I would break it down like this

TPM - 6 out of 10
ROTS - 5 out of 10
KOTCS - 3 out of 10
AOTC - 2.5 out of 10

After 5 years KOTCS is what is it. It was not what I wanted but I have learned to accept it and does have replay viewing in my house.

Small things to nit pick on:

After the multi country jumping (epic feel) of TLC, KOTCS felt small only hitting Peru. A band of good guys and a small bunch of Russians. It all seemed silent to the rest of the world. I am not going to argue TOD because the trilogy ended on a high TLC.

A lead women should have multiple costume changes. It keeps the male viewer interested (i.e. Music videos). Spalko wore the same thing from beginning to end. So visually she was getting boring. And Marion was just old.

There was to many characters Indy was rolling (Mutt, Mac, Oxley & Marion) with. And I cared for none. Unlike Short Round or Henry Sr. Who I loved.

The execution of some of Indy's lines. It lacked the comedy. Example "your a teacher"/Mutt. "Part Time"/ Indy. Funny line but he said the line as if he had no energy.

And of course the Russians. I know it was sticking to the times and I don't blame them. But we associate Indy with German Nazi's. It is kind of like removing the "Empire" from Star Wars. The flavour changes!!

Back