"Kingdom of The Crystal Skull" 5 Years Later.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was her name? Spalco? Balco?
Worst god damn movie villian of all time

Again, another tragic and terrible choice that had to be endured when a villian is supposed to be one of the primary sources of satisfaction.

I suppose some people will be blind loyalists no matter what with this movie.
Kingdom is a bad film and apparently a whole lot of people dont comprehend what makes a good film.

What was her name? Spalco? Balco?
Worst god damn movie villian of all time

Again, another tragic and terrible choice that had to be endured when a villian is supposed to be one of the primary sources of satisfaction.

I suppose some people will be blind loyalists no matter what with this movie.
Kingdom is a bad film and apparently a whole lot of people dont comprehend what makes a good film.

You're the one who can't express an opinion on this movie without resorting to hyperbole and absolutes.

I gave the movie a 6/10 (failing) score overall and pointed out its numerous faults. I just did so in a level-headed, rational way instead of playing the tired Internet game of posturing with extremes.

This is neither a great movie or the worst affront to mankind.

Our comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.

I don't mind KOTCS as much as I did 5 years ago, it's really grown on me.

Now Pirates OST I really love and I believe fits into the series very well...

You're the one who can't express an opinion on this movie without resorting to hyperbole and absolutes.

I gave the movie a 6/10 (failing) score overall and pointed out its numerous faults. I just did so in a level-headed, rational way instead of playing the tired Internet game of posturing with extremes.

This is neither a great movie or the worst affront to mankind.

Our comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.

Youre good to go.

I probably feel too betrayed about it.

Now Pirates OST I really love and I believe fits into the series very well...

The one thing that I thought was a FAIL in OST was the "Zombie" crew.
After the cursed crew in COTBP, and Fish People in DMC and AWE the zombies looked like actors in Make-up. Very low budget. THe whole point of Black Beards drive for the cup is based on the white bald zombies prediction but unless you have it on subtitles it is easily missed.

apparently a whole lot of people dont comprehend what makes a good film.

I would say you could take a look at the top 10 box office leaders every year and find evidence to support that fact BUT the answer to "what makes a good film" is very subjective. Individuals will probably base it on what they find “entertaining” or “good”, studios will base it on the amount of profit and the list goes on and on.

For the record, I enjoyed a lot of my time watching Skull but I do not think it's perfect. I my opinion the 6 out of 10 is fair I might even go as high as 7 but it depends what I am comparing it to.

Then what is a good film?

A. One that turns a profit

B. One that the majority of people like

C. One that critics like

D. One that wins awards

E. Meets all of the above

I still think the whole thing is subjective unless you state what the characterics of a good film have to be. In just the categories above you can probably come up with a lot of films that meet one or two of them that people would consider good films and also ones that meet two to three of them that people consider not good films.

I'm sticking with subjective unless the term "good film" is defined more.

C. One that critics like

D. One that wins awards

I still think the whole thing is subjective unless you state what the characterics of a good film have to be. In just the categories above you can probably come up with a lot of films that meet one or two of them that people would consider good films and also ones that meet two to three of them that people consider not good films.

Dude,...you cant be that old to even think like that.
A good film consists of excellent writing which then translates to an excellent screenplay. Proper casting for each role in the film is critical as it is crucial in bringing the writers/directors vision to life.
A good director who grasps and understands the basic fundamentals of managing a film project while pulling the proper inspiration out of the actors to transcend the genre. The development team and creative consultants must work together in total and complete unison in order to bring a cohesive look and feel to the movie which envelopes the viewer into that world and completes suspension of disbelief.

These sir, are just a few examples of what define a "good film" and Crystal Skull struggled with most of them.
Its not subjective at all really. Your view is subjective.

Everybody can have their own opinion.

For the record 30 isn't that old yet. Also I do agree that what you wrote is required to have a good film (in my opinion) but I would still disagree that it is not subjective. Everybody would have their own opinion on whether or not that criteria was met. Some people may see an actor as cast perfectly while others might see it as being a poor choice (just one example).

I guess we can agree to disagree I didn't mean to start an argument.

The biggest issues with this film were the script and the Marion character (and a lot of her problems are on the script, too).

C. One that critics like

D. One that wins awards

If you can check off a good story, character, acting, camera work, writing, and directing, then you have a good movie. Or at least a good percentage of them.

I contend the biggest problem was the film made Indy a caricature of himself and came off like a bloated, cheesy cash in with none of the passion and integrity of the first three.
That and the Skull wasnt as cool as the ark, stones or grail.

I contend the biggest problem was the film made Indy a caricature of himself and came off like a bloated, cheesy cash in with none of the passion and integrity of the first three.

I would change it to neutered Indy. Did he even kill anybody in this one? He never shot anyone. I really did enjoy the moments when you saw glimpses of Indy showing through. I think with the right script (and maybe a different director) they can still make an Indy movie worthy of the legacy of Raiders but it needs to be the right script and director. Personally I hope when Ford hangs it up they don't do a reboot. I would rather they had it down to a son or cousin or even an assistant if they want to keep making money off of the franchise.

That and the Skull wasnt as cool as the ark, stones or grail.

:goodpost: I have wondered that if there was a way they could have made the skull a better more imposing artifact/treasure/thing if the movie would have carried more weight.

To me its a good film, but it could have been a great film like Raiders,Crusade. still i think on par with Temple.

The thing is in Raiders Indy was a tough basterd, seemed a lot more placid in this, he should have been a lot more gruff and meaner with his old age. Wish they had got his dad back just for 5 mins.

Same for me. I was very disappointed when I first saw it, but repeat viewings and also viewing it alongside the original three improved it a lot for me and now I honestly prefer it to The Last Crusade these days. My ranking would go:

TOD
ROTLA
KOTCS
TLC

TLC and KOTCS are pretty much tied for 3rd and 4th place for me, but picking between them I'd go with KOTCS.

Indiana Jones mowed down a bunch of Nazis with a machine gun in Last Crusade. He was a big tulip puss in Crystal Skull.

And why is nobody mentioning the ridiculous scenerio at the end where they are running out of a CGi collapsing complex, that is conveniently collapsing right behind the whole gang.
Perhaps if it was only Jones i could stomach it,...but his wife and kid too....
What the fuuuccc ever

And why is nobody mentioning the ridiculous scenerio at the end where they are running out of a CGi collapsing complex, that is conveniently collapsing right behind the whole gang.

Maybe because Indy and his allies fleeing collapsing structures is featured in some form in all previous films?

ridiculous scenerio at the end where they are running out of a CGi collapsing complex,

yeah.. collapsing grail knight temple in LC ? maybe not collapsing but flooding tunnel complex in TOD with girl and child in tow... then collapsing idol temple in Raiders.. (which by far was the coolest).. but yeah..

Back