Statue Aragorn Maquette - Link in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aragorn Maquette - Order NOW, link in 1st post.

Can someone please explain the materials involved in this statue? Is the whole thing, clothing and all a solid piece or just the body and the clothing is cloth. Are these more labor intensive than the 1/6th figures they stopped making or less labor intensive?

It's also made of 100% pure awesomeness.

Can someone please explain the materials involved in this statue? Is the whole thing, clothing and all a solid piece or just the body and the clothing is cloth. Are these more labor intensive than the 1/6th figures they stopped making or less labor intensive?

It's a 'proper' statue, with no silly dolly clothing ;)

Pre-ordered. I feel the price is a bit on the high side but the sculpt looks amazing and the pose is great.

That's my feeling too. Too each their own and variety is great, but at 1/6 for $235, I would personally rather throw another $50 at a 'mixed media' statue in a larger scale (PF 1/4).

I agree that the pose is GREAT (part of me even wishes this pose, sculpt and gear was used for the PF Aragorn, even though I really like the PF Aragorn as is too...)

The height of this staue at 14.5inch will allow it to fit nicely ino a Detolf shelf.

Agree that the price point is kind of pushing the limits. But from the pictures, it really does look awesome. Placed my order for the Ex.

That's my feeling too. Too each their own and variety is great, but at 1/6 for $235, I would personally rather throw another $50 at a 'mixed media' statue in a larger scale (PF 1/4).

I agree that the pose is GREAT (part of me even wishes this pose, sculpt and gear was used for the PF Aragorn, even though I really like the PF Aragorn as is too...)

PFs are running $300 now, plus the shipping will probably be doubled.

I don't have any Weta pieces, so this is a must for me.

Yeah looks nice, but still really pricey for a 1:6 scale piece.

I'm no expert, but these seem to be more complex castings than the original SSW stuff. I know for a fact that the original Aragorn (son of arathorn) from SSW was only 4 pieces excluding the base, a rather simple casting job. These new figures look considerably more complex, maybe that has something to do with the price. The paintjob (so far) also looks like its a much higher quality than the Weta pieces. Its still really stretching the boundries of reasonable though. As long at the production pieces look this good I'll have little to complain about however.

Solid polystone (FTW).

I would say less labor intensive. Pop it out of the mold and paint it. The 12" figures required all of that miniature hand made clothing, assembly, dressing, painting, etc.

But obviously, the paint application on the maquette is far more involved than that of a 12" head sculpt. So it's a different kind of "labor intensive."

I guess it's all relative, after getting used to paying $300+ for a PF, the maquette's sub $250 price doesn't seem too bad.

Also, the fact that the Exclusive has yet to sell out bodes well for edition size, I believe. Hopefully, it'll be pretty low. Of course, the fact that orders haven't gone through the roof may not bode well for SS's long term plans for this line...

I guess it's all relative, after getting used to paying $300+ for a PF, the maquette's sub $250 price doesn't seem too bad.

Also, the fact that the Exclusive has yet to sell out bodes well for edition size, I believe. Hopefully, it'll be pretty low. Of course, the fact that orders haven't gone through the roof may not bode well for SS's long term plans for this line...

True but the maquettes are a lot smaller tho'. The exclusive yet to sell out may be because the set the initial ES pretty high too but you could be right.

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me but I think that Sideshow doesn't concretely set the ES of a piece until after something goes up for pre-order.

I'm sure they have parameters; for example, if a certain pre-order does particulatly well, they'll cut it off after a certain time. Conversely, if a pre-order doesn't do as well as expected, they'll adjust the ES accordingly.

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me but I think that Sideshow doesn't concretely set the ES of a piece until after something goes up for pre-order.

Nah, that's what they do.

Personally I don't mind the edition size as long as the piece is good.

Wow, I don't own a single LOTR piece (despite liking the movies, nothing I've seen has been a must have) but this is freaking cool! I may just have to get the exclusive :rock

Pre-Ordered. I will support this line. Especially if SS is finally committed to offering the complete Fellowship this time around.

I got mine, this will be a fill-in line for me; I have no intentions of being a completist. The price is inflated, but I am a sucker for the hooded Strider. :lol

better than Weta

Back