SDCC 2009 Toynami DC Products

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know he may not be able to produce in the hundreds yet, but if you are looking for the definitive superman and willing to pay good money and not just settle for the cinemaquette than wait for Bob Causeys 1/2 scale.

Well I can't envisage a situation where he would ever be able to produce this in the hundreds and retain the creative freedom to produce the sculpt he wants to a time-frame of his choosing.

He can't mass produce this item and sell it without permission. Here, he has no permission from either DC, Warners, or the Reeve family. Secondly he is under no pressure to produce these sculpts to a release schedule - so he is free to make many personal adjustments to each piece which aren't possible on Cinemaquettes.

So sure, a few people might get the Causey one. But for the rest of us I guess we'll just have to settle for a company that has secured the license; the involvement of Reeve's family; and will get the piece out to a schedule

I'm sure hundreds of people, myself included, will be more than happy with the results.

He can't mass produce this item and sell it without permission. Here, he has no permission from either DC, Warners, or the Reeve family. Secondly he is under no pressure to produce these sculpts to a release schedule - so he is free to make many personal adjustments to each piece which aren't possible on Cinemaquettes.

Now how do you know that he has not gotten permission also his pieces are designed to be the highest quality pieces out there and because of that there is no way they will be mass produced but who knows how many will be made. Also mass produced pieces just dont have the same quality as a limited edition piece will have.

Look I am not trying to talk you out of getting the cinemaqette because lets face it there is not many great superman collectables out there and to be honest I am not even a superman fan. But with that said if I was going to dish out 2 thousand dollars or more on a 1/3 scale cinemaquette with many flaws at its existing stage than I would research and try to get into contact with Bob about his 1/2 because will all due respect to Mike Hill who sculpted the superman cinemaqeutte Bob's Sculpt is MUCH more accurate.

Mike Hill didn't sculpt the Cinemaquette, although it's implied that he did at Statue Forum.

I tried to convince Bob to do his in 1/3 scale, because I'm not interested in a 1/2 scale, and last I heard he hadn't decided on scale.

Now how do you know that he has not gotten permission

Because there is no way he could economically make them in the quantities he does if he has obtained a licnese. To cover licensing costs (not to mention a gratuity to the Reeve Foundation) he would have to be selling tens, probably hundreds of these. Or pass those costs on to the buyers, which would probably make the finished piece realistically unaffordable.

also his pieces are designed to be the highest quality pieces out there and because of that there is no way they will be mass produced but who knows how many will be made. Also mass produced pieces just dont have the same quality as a limited edition piece will have.

Well that stands to reason. For sure, having somebody spend 8-12 months on a single piece for you is going to deliver some outstanding results, but that just isn't realistic for most people. And indeed for the sculptor himself, doing this himself, there is no way to handle volume without moving your operation to a factory style set-up, and that costs a fortune.

Look I am not trying to talk you out of getting the cinemaqette because lets face it there is not many great superman collectables out there and to be honest I am not even a superman fan. But with that said if I was going to dish out 2 thousand dollars or more on a 1/3 scale cinemaquette with many flaws at its existing stage than I would research and try to get into contact with Bob about his 1/2 because will all due respect to Mike Hill who sculpted the superman cinemaqeutte Bob's Sculpt is MUCH more accurate.

The Cinemaquette is quite well advanced and only needs modifications to certain elements. On the other hand what you are talking about is a clay head sculpt, which isn't even painted.

I think when it comes to accuracy you'll be able to make a better judgement once the alternative has been fully constructed, painted, and has a price tag attached to it!

Just ordered the cowl....looking forward to the batwing and the batmobile AND supeman I will also have on order soon. Im going to go CM exclusively pretty soon...:D

Chris

Back