Possible commision thread for Spock, Kirk and Mc Coy by Chris Howes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the info to make orders official:

Since we have enough people the price gets reduced to the precast discount of $20.00 per head plus $5.00 shipping in the USA, $7.00 international for up to 4 heads. Neck drilling, for those who can't do it themselves, is $5.00 per head. (Heads are designed to fit the Hot Toys small neck joint adapter and other similar neck joints) After casting begins the full price of $35.00 goes into effect.

My PayPal and order address is [email protected]
Please send me an official order email with the subject of "Star Trek". Include the following:

1) Screen name
2) Real name
3) Shipping address
4) Which heads and the quantity of each
5) Necks drilled for small neck joint adapter, Y or N
6) Painted by Kuato (first 10 discount price is first come first serve)

I will make a chart as orders come in.

So, the precast discount for one unpainted head ($20), drilled ($5), shipped to the US ($5) it would be $30.00. With International shipping ($7) it would be $32.00 USD. That's a $15.00 savings over full price!

For all 3, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, unpainted ($60), drilled ($15), shipped to the US ($5) it would be $80.00.With International shipping ($7) it would be $82.00 USD. That's a $45.00 savings over full price!

If you want Kuato to paint yours I will send it to him directly saving you a shipping charge. You will only have to pay shipping to Kuato. The first 10 heads (first come first serve) get Kuato's $30.00 + shipping per head discount. After that it's full price, $45.00 +shipping.

You will pay him for painting directly, but he asks that we hold off paying for painting until I ship him a batch of heads. This helps his organization system.

That's about it.... Please do pay as soon as you can. I really want to lock this one in to round 2 with high priority.... I'm itching to do it! :D

Thanks!

Thanks Chris, Paypal payment sent. Also, please make sure I'm on the early list to have paint application by Kuato.

Awesome Chris!
I have a question though: would it be possible to have necks for different types of bodies?

To be as close as possible to their appearance on screen, I was thinking of using different bodies for the different characters. Kirk on a Hot Toys True-Type, Bones on a DML Neo and Spock on a Sideshow Buck.
Would that be possible?

Either way, I'm ordering a set of three, just wanted to know...

Also, I can't use paypal from Colombia, so would it be possible to send you the money via MO?

Thanks!

Can't all of those bodies (at least HT and Sideshow) fit on the same style of neckpost?

Awesome Chris!
I have a question though: would it be possible to have necks for different types of bodies?

To be as close as possible to their appearance on screen, I was thinking of using different bodies for the different characters. Kirk on a Hot Toys True-Type, Bones on a DML Neo and Spock on a Sideshow Buck.
Would that be possible?

Either way, I'm ordering a set of three, just wanted to know...

Also, I can't use paypal from Colombia, so would it be possible to send you the money via MO?

Thanks!

I usually make my heads with full necks to fit HT Truetype style small neck joints. This seems to be the most versatile design that will work with a variety of bodies, and gives the customizer material to work with if they want to mod the neck for a different style body. It's easier to grind away than to build up.

This would work for all these bodies, I believe. You ( or I if you can't) can drill the neck to accept neck joint adapter for each body.

I will take money orders, just PM or email me to work out the details.

BTW, while poking around I found this guide to various bodies HERE.

Can't all of those bodies (at least HT and Sideshow) fit on the same style of neckpost?

I believe they are close enough. Take a look inthe guide I posted. All use a full sculpted neck style, though the adapters may vary dimensionally.

I never had to worry about this when sculpting action figures for the toy companies since we usually created the bodies for each figure! :D We could put them together however we wanted as long as it was manufacturable. We would have a mechanical model maker turn the pieces for the joints on the lathe or otherwise machine what we wanted. Slap on a little wax and Hey! Presto! it's an action figure!

Paid Chris for Kirk, Spock, McCoy!

Whoever else wants TOS head sculpts, please pay your share, Trekkies!

Can't wait to have these head sculpts. But.... waiting is part of having... :-(

BTW, the smaller size Playmates Star Trek figures' accessories are the correct scale for the 12" ? Anyone have any idea about what to do with those phaser, communicator, tricoder, etc?

Last edited:
So does anyone have any suggestions for the clothes and boots? I know another member suggested he knew someone who could make the costuming and the costumes looked very nice, but I thought they were a little bulky. Also, I would like to get some boots that look very accurate to the show. So far the closest boots I could find are the long German style boots from WWII. I'm not digging the Nazi look for my Star Trek guys, their boots should look a little slimmer and pointier at the tips.

Regarding the uniforms, I have a suggestion but can't be firmed up at this time. Most likely I will be going to HongKong for a few days some time next month. I might be able to source a tailor over there to do the uniforms. The benefits of doing the uniforms there are not just the competitive labor pricing (economy is bad), but the choice of materials and craftsmanship! This is just a possibility.

The boots and accessories are the hardest. Also the starfleet sign on the uniform is also a problem.

Last edited:
Regarding the uniforms, I have a suggestion but can't be firmed up at this time. Most likely I will be going to HongKong for a few days some time next month. I might be able to source a tailor over there to do the uniforms. The benefits of doing the uniforms there are not just the competitive labor pricing (economy is bad), but the choice of materials and craftsmanship! This is just a possibility.

The boots and accessories are the hardest. Also the starfleet sign on the uniform is also a problem.

That's wonderful news, I hope that's something you can have done. I would like to take part in that if you can source it for some more of us. Will you be purchasing figures while you are there also?

That's wonderful news, I hope that's something you can have done. I would like to take part in that if you can source it for some more of us. Will you be purchasing figures while you are there also?
Yes, I will. But most of the figures that I want, I already have. I want some OOAK. Anyway, there are a few buildings there which are filled with "money sucking" toy stores (but still cheap); I will try my best to stay at least 1 mile away from that area which I think I can not. I will begin to source for tailors now. If I found a workable tailor, I will do some ST Movies uniforms and some other outfits. If I lack the needed time, I will make sure I get connections with tailors over there. When I firm up the trip, I will post it here. We should keep our option open, so my side is only one of the leads. Please source for other possibilities.

I need some help on the followings:
1) Uniform Templates
Many Trekkies made their own ST uniforms and some just buy them. I am sure there are ST Uniforms templates out there. All we need is to strink them into 1/6 and give it to the tailor. This is what the "Barbbie-ies" are doing (I am not one of them!)

2) The Rank Designation
Do we take it out from 1/6 Navy's uniforms?

3) The Department Designation
Most likely I will "glue" it on the uniform. But where do I get them or how to make them.

4) Phasers, Tricoder.....etc. and how to "stick" them on the pants - they don't use holster if i am correct.

The head sculpts that we are doing are done by One of the BEST. They deserve the best looking outfits. I don't want my Kirk, Spock, or McCoy ended up dressing like "KEN"!

Last edited:
Yes, I will. But most of the figures that I want, I already have. I want some OOAK. Anyway, there are a few buildings there which are filled with "money sucking" toy stores (but still cheap); I will try my best to stay at least 1 mile away from that area which I think I can not. I will begin to source for tailors now. If I found a workable tailor, I will do some ST Movies uniforms and some other outfits. If I lack the needed time, I will make sure I get connections with tailors over there. When I firm up the trip, I will post it here. We should keep our option open, so my side is only one of the leads. Please source for other possibilities.

1) Uniform Templates
Many Trekkies made their own ST uniforms and some just buy them. I am sure there are ST Uniforms templates out there. All we need is to strink them into 1/6 and give it to the tailor. This is what the "Barbbie-ies" are doing (I am not one of them!)

2) The Rank Designation

Most likely I will "glue" it on the uniform. But where do I get them or how to make them.

4) Phasers, Tricoder.....etc. and how to "stick" them on the pants - they don't use holster if i am correct.

The head sculpts that we are doing are done by One of the BEST. They deserve the best looking outfits. I don't want my Kirk, Spock, or McCoy ended up dressing like "KEN"!

You've got that right we want them to look good and not looking like "Ken" dolls with baggy clothes that don't fit properly. I don't know where to find uniform templates, but I'm sure someone on this forum would know. If the tailor can base the clothing to fit on the Hot Toys True Type body, I'm sure it will look great.

1) Uniform Templates

2) The Rank Designation

Haven't explored these sites but might be a start as far as uniform patterns are concerned. If we can't find them free, I know they are available on eBay.

https://www.startrekuniformguide.com/

https://startrekuniforms.yuku.com/

I can make insignia out of resin to be applied to the fabric with a spot of glue. There's a command insignia for Kirk, science insignia for both Spock and Bones, if I'm not mistaken.

I can make Phasers and Tricorders as well. I've done it before, after all! :D I need to work out a cost on those if there is enough interest.

Velcro is likely too bulky at 1/6 scale so another solution is needed to attach equipment to the uniforms and still have it removable. One possible thought: tiny rare earth magnets embedded in prop and body.

It would require a tiny mod of the body by the end user. A quick drilled cavity in the thigh, perhaps, a spot of glue and a tiny magnet inserted. Pretty simple.

I have a source for very small and powerful rare earth magnets that may be small enough. My 82 year old father still uses them in his metallurgical research, so I can find out where he orders them.

Anyway, that would be a nice effect. :naughty

Thank you for the kind compliment, BTW. :)

Yes. Magnets are good choice. If Chris can do the accessories and the insignia, then we have one thing less to worry.

I found the "patterns" (not template)! Check it out:
https://www.startrekuniformguide.com/originals2.html
https://www.roddenberry.com/?action=shop.welcome&cid=11422

I think all the info that we need for the uniforms are found. Now, I will try to look for some free patterns. There are even fabric stores that sell to trekkies to make their own uniforms. But for 1/6, we need some thinner materials with the right feel and color.

Hi guys,

I've been busy with my real 1:1 life job these last few days so I hadn't updated the thread! It is now done.
Thanks Chris for your participation! I'm glad that you seem enthusiastic about doing these. I'll PM you later today to ask for a few additionnal details.
As for all of you who're making this commission possible, I thank you! I will PM all of you today to remind you the details about payment! :D

It's great to see this commission coming along. I can't wait to see the wips on Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Also, it'll be great to see the uniforms start to come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back