The Lone Gunmen, Skinner and M&S X-files Headsculpts set by C.Howes Interest Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Lone Gunmen, Skinner and M&S X-files Headsculpts set by C.Howes Interest Thre

He was banned quite a while after he was given a chance to follow through and post updates but never came through. Written off as a scammer.

Re: The Lone Gunmen, Skinner and M&S X-files Headsculpts set by C.Howes Interest Thre

Though if he's a man of his word and is serious about restoring his reputation, I expect he'll deliver as promised, in spite of all that's happened here since things went south.

The problem with this premise is that I continued to e-mail him for several months with no response.

His last e-mail to me was August 3rd.

NO subsequent e-mails were replied to.

I've given up hope too - I thought Chris would come through, but I just don't think its going to happen. I do hope someone gets around to these guys though - and all the other projects that Chris had lined up. I pre-paid for the Gunmen and Sawyer from Lost so I hope someone picks them up...

I remember feeling bad for pulling out of the Sawyer commission. Now I feel bad for everyone that didn't.

I tried many times to communicate with him, never got bounced emails, just no response. When he had a problem with a recaster he was quick to request help, but he refused to followup with anyone on the many projects after many attempts. Thus he was banned as a scammer.

He's banned because he never posted, updated or produced what he claimed he was working on. After taking $11,000 - $17,000 from folks there is NO excuse for not posting updates. His first excuse was that Russian spamers had taken over his computer, then he posted about being harassed. Neither are viable excuses for what he did. He is not a man of his word and apparently has no regard for those he swindled or any interest in restoring his reputation, if that were even possible.
However, lots of other folks are better sculptors than him and some of his other "projects" were already replaced by other folks.
Nanjin, Spenser and SFM have/or will have Star Trek sculpts.
Spenser and Vartal have done Ghostbusters sculpts.
I'm sure we may see more if the interest is truly there and stays focused.

I tried many times to communicate with him, never got bounced emails, just no response. When he had a problem with a recaster he was quick to request help, but he refused to followup with anyone on the many projects after many attempts. Thus he was banned as a scammer.

I had no idea of the full extent of the problems with him. Bad enough he kept everyone on the string with lots of promises while taking their money up front. Other people here have gotten themselves in a little too deep, but at least they've continued to stay in touch with people, in spite of the pressure.

I really feel bad for the people who paid up front. Guess I was actually kind of lucky my computer quit on me or I'd probably be one of them too.

I've gotten nothing but good stuff from Spenser in the past and if he'd consider taking on some of these projects then there's still hope for the Lone Gunmen and hopefully some of the other characters we were expecting CH to make.

I was sadly doubly-duped, having sent him some heads I already owned to paint (and yes *sigh* paying in advance) alongside the group commission order I had.

I remember feeling bad for pulling out of the Sawyer commission. Now I feel bad for everyone that didn't.

I guess it's a lesson learned - I will never pay for anything upfront again!

I too keep hoping someone will pick up the commissions, or even spread them around---1 gunman per sculptor, someone else to do Scully, etc. I had sent in some reference pics for Scully to Chris, and he actually replied and thanked me for them, and asked for more---sent those in too. But that was many months ago. (I have GOOD pics for Gillian Anderson face reference---high-res 2000+ pixels high, perfect profile shots, perfectly head-on with a dead neutral expression, etc)

Last edited:

I too keep hoping someone will pick up the commissions, or even spread them around---1 gunman per sculptor, someone else to do Scully, etc. I had sent in some reference pics for Scully to Chris, and he actually replied and thanked me for them, and asked for more---sent those in too. But that was many months ago. (I have GOOD pics for Gillian Anderson face reference---high-res 2000+ pixels high, perfect profile shots, perfectly head-on with a dead neutral expression, etc)

That sounds great! Would you be willing to post some of them here? It might help one of the reliable sculptors on the board to get interested in working on a new Scully, and also help anyone looking for some good painting references. :cool:

If anyone has some good pics of each of the Gunmen, that could also help get things moving in a positive direction again.

I had sent in some reference pics for Scully to Chris, and he actually replied and thanked me for them, and asked for more---sent those in too.

That’s what's so crazy about the whole debacle – Chris seemed really responsive. When I sent him my info about the project, I wasn’t sure if I needed the neck hole; I told him I was new to customizing figures and wasn’t really sure. He sent me a really in depth reply about needing the hole and that it could be filled in if I didn’t need it for whatever reason. He didn’t really need to reply in such detail if he was a scammer – that’s why I felt safe in that he would deliver on his promises and when I joined the Sawyer commission.

That is the unfortunate (and shady) part. Chris seemed very repsonsive while people were sending money, but after that he would get eerily quiet.

I still don't believe his original intent was to scam a lot of people, but regardless his actions have amounted to that. Was legal action ever taken against him?

The last time Chris responded to an email was July 15, he claimed that once he got over this issue with a recaster that he would get back to work:

"I'll have an update on the Lone Gunmen shortly, hopefully within about a week. Please let folks know it is coming. Would you mind posting update photos for me since I won't be returning to the forums personally due to the abuse? I would appreciate your help."

Haven't heard from him since, just sent him another email, hopefully something comes up from it but don't hold your breath.

I can say that Vartal is a very honest sculptor in my experience. I commissioned a Bret Hart sculpt and not only did he communicate with me throughout, he even incorporated my input after the first couple of drafts. Really wish that our experience with Chris would have been similar...

Okay then, the next question is obvious: Who is willing to take on the project under the new conditions?

Seconded. I still want/need a couple of Scully heads but have no source now... (and as before, I can supply good reference pics to sculpt from--just found a few new ones last week even)

Was legal action ever taken against him?

Not yet, but I plan to do so in January. Will not let him go with my money. If anyone could help with Howes' address and all the information needed I would be grateful. I am not sure how to handle this as I am from Germany...:duh

BTW: Everyone should do so. Maybe there is even a possibility of a group lawsuit. I dont know if something, like this is possible in the US.

Being from France, I honnestly don't think you can do anything against him. But I'd be happy to help as he scammed me too! I used to have his personal address, though I don't know if I still have it. If I can find it again, I'll shoot you a pm with it...

Being from France, I honnestly don't think you can do anything against him. But I'd be happy to help as he scammed me too! I used to have his personal address, though I don't know if I still have it. If I can find it again, I'll shoot you a pm with it...

Please do. I've been wanting to get his info, so I can pursue a case against him. I paid for 3 Star Trek heads, a House M. D. head, and painting for the House head. I just need his info to start a small claims case.

Seconded. I still want/need a couple of Scully heads but have no source now... (and as before, I can supply good reference pics to sculpt from--just found a few new ones last week even)

The SS head is actually a good head under all that caked on crappy SS paint. Here is a link to the "magic" that Small Studios did with my Mulder and Scully heads:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30267&highlight=scully&page=116

I'm aware that sculpt is pretty good---but they're pretty hard and expensive to acquire nowadays.

PS--I had not seen that particular repaint before. It's the best by far and I would LOVE to have one (or two) just like that. But again---acquiring that head nowadays to send for repainting isn't easy/cheap. Also, I do think a new sculpt by one of the people on this board would be notably superior and worth it.

::edit:: Gah, I missed this one: https://cgi.ebay.com/Sideshow-X-Fil...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a55d4a6f9 I've never even seen a loose one for sale before--just MISB. Of course, this week there's a MISB one asking $2000 for a BIN.

Last edited:
Back