Cobra Trooper is up! Use this link!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually had this "debate" on Joe forums before, and I come down on the side of saying that yes, collecting a boxed, unopened toy is pretty absurd. There are people out there who collect mint, vintage comics who will never read them, and that is equally ridiculous. As is collecting unopened video games or cans of food. You aren't using the product inside, so it seems to defy the real logic of owning something.

However, people get utility out of simply owning something, and some are more anal about this than others, to the point of refusing to tamper with something in order to keep it in its "original" state. Further, the OCD-component of collecting makes some people buy stuff just because they must own it, even if they never see the thing. These people may not care if it is opened or not, but are driven to acquire something, and once it is acquired, they may not care about the thing again at all.

In this sense, this collecting is no less ridiculous than an adult collecting an opened toy that they are just going to display. There is utility in looking at something and posing it from time to time. Perhaps some get enjoyment out of actually playing with the things as if they were children. Whatever the case, there is a drive, and the owning, displaying, or playing with these things fulfills this drive. So long as it is not based in a real need for food, shelter, sex, survival, etc., the drive is irrelevant. It is a vestige of the modern world, and is silly in its own way. Collecting is a ridiculous thing, and one person doing so in a stranger way than others doesn't mean that these others are normal.

Good lord, 1 post away from 3,000 :google

Guilty as charged I guess?:huh

I don't get it either. But I'd really love to sell a "Premium Format" to one of those guys with the box just full of rocks for weight. They'll either never know the difference or just find out when they try to sell it someone else years later :lol

That reason alone should be reason enough for someone to at least crack the box open and check they got what they paid for!

Besides, imagine getting horrible feedback on ebaY because you sold a PF MIB and it arrived at the purchasee's house, and opened only to find it broken but the packaging intact. No refund from the delivery service since the box is still great. So there you are, Mr. MIB collector, facing potential fraud charges and forced to refund the money paid for it. And in the end, stuck with a worthless broken piece of junk, all because you didn't check the merchandise. ;)

Trooper looks good.

Guess the helmet was too narrow for that HT head?

Not really, it actually fits. I think it is just the ears where the problem start. If I removed the ears it would probably fit just fine. The ears are pretty much non-existant on the cobra trooper head because of the hood. So they would naturally supressed by it and therefore not sticking out like Krauser's are. Not sure If I'm going to chop them off yet or not. I'll have to study it a bit more. But I do believe the ears are the only thing throwing it off. But even then it is still a very close fit for a head not designed for this helmet.

Not really, it actually fits. I think it is just the ears where the problem start. If I removed the ears it would probably fit just fine. The ears are pretty much non-existant on the cobra trooper head because of the hood. So they would naturally supressed by it and therefore not sticking out like Krauser's are. Not sure If I'm going to chop them off yet or not. I'll have to study it a bit more. But I do believe the ears are the only thing throwing it off. But even then it is still a very close fit for a head not designed for this helmet.

Might wanna try to give the head a hot bath, pin the ears back and then give it a cold rinse.

I was thinking along those lines. It's only one of the most important things that human beings create. Wouldn't you be shocked to hear that people were collecting it. How abnormal. :lol

I just realized, and made this connection.

My Cobra trooper is scheduled to arrive on Friday, September 11th.

Cobra is a terrorist organization.

So.. I've got a terrorist showing up at my house on September 11th.

Does anyone else see the humor in this?

I've also got a friend who lived on base at Fort Benning until a short while ago, once Cobra commander came out, i took it out there to show him. i put it in the trunk of my car.

After Arriving, i realized I'd smuggled a terrorist onto a Military base in the trunk of my car.

Close up of "Scarface"

dsc01307eo.jpg

The Scarface head is from the Hot Toys Jack Krauser, it is NOT included with the regular figure. As you can see, the fit isn't perfect, but I think it is close enough to work. It certainly gives him a bit more character and prevents the troopers from looking like Clones. Although with only a fraction of their face visable, that shouldn't be a problem for most people. Although it seems you have to have Blue Eyes to work for Cobra.

Snake Eyes? Is that you? :lol

Seriously, though, all kidding aside, are you going to paint the scar on the other side of his face as well, or no?

Are you saying that art has no survival value?
Art can survive, it cannot help you to survive. . .unless you can eat it, wear it, trade it to a guy with a gun for your life, or are a manic depressive who snaps out of his mood looking at a Renoir. I don't think pre-historic man had suicidal ideations, though.

Snake Eyes? Is that you? :lol

Seriously, though, all kidding aside, are you going to paint the scar on the other side of his face as well, or no?

Na, I'll just leave it as is. So it wouldn't technically be "Scarface," but just a random trooper with a scar on his face.

That is funny about your 9/11 trooper and sneaking the commander on base :lol

I just realized, and made this connection.

My Cobra trooper is scheduled to arrive on Friday, September 11th.

Cobra is a terrorist organization.

So.. I've got a terrorist showing up at my house on September 11th.

Does anyone else see the humor in this?

I've also got a friend who lived on base at Fort Benning until a short while ago, once Cobra commander came out, i took it out there to show him. i put it in the trunk of my car.

After Arriving, i realized I'd smuggled a terrorist onto a Military base in the trunk of my car.

LMAO............. thats great .......... PS ... FBI will be over in a few ... after a donut and some hot coco

This is a more general question (from a relative newbie to the 12" world): I'm thinking about getting some loose Hot Toys weapons for the Cobras & Joes and wanted to ask if they work well with the Sideshow figures (specifically hand-wise/weapon gripping).

(I just realized the only Hot Toys figures I currently have are Iron Man & Batman related, so I don't have any HT military weapons to try out first)

More specifically, I'm thinking about picking up a Hot Toys Dragonov for a Cobra Trooper, and a MP5 SD6 for my Snake-Eyes.

Thanks for any feedback that can be provided!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back