"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" Custom Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who's saying that studio df's paint work doesn't "hold up"? it's certainly not what i said - the quality is certainly 100% for both. and yes i have both rainman painted and studio df painted heads. my personal opinion this time around is that rainman managed to work more character into the paint than the studio df one. it's just a personal viewpoint that isn't putting the quality of the df paint into question one bit.

maybe it's the sweat, or the sideways eyes, or the beard, or the mouth. but something about rainman's just says "ugly" to me more than the studio df one.

and i agree about the small variations. my rainman "bad" head looks really different in hand. when i first opened the box i thought bits of white fluff had stuck to his face, but it turned out to be tiny white hairs in his beard, which i thought was very clever. anyone else notice this?

I am positive there are slight variations in all the heads. My Angel Eyes head looks slightly different than the sample photo of the StudioDH head on Rainman's site. It looks more realistic and the skin tone really shows subtle variations, more than can be photographed I think. I wish every one sixth collector could afford a Rainman figure so they could experience the pure awesomeness.

I think at this point though, unless the next few releases bring us a Bounty Hunter Clint, I am bowing out of future purchases. I will have to see on a case by case basis. I wish I could own every figure he makes, but it's not going to be possible. I am kind of curious to see how he tackles a modern era figure.

well its obvious that rainman's paintjobs are better than DF studios. you DO pay nearly 200 bucks extra for his work but DF studios paintwork is very good regardless I have Angel Eyes Clothing + Headset by them and it holds up to smallstudios and eneterbay jack bauer paint jobs.

can capture how great the likeness is.

... I am having custom wooden boxes made to display with the figures...

I'd love to know how this works out. If you could share some info etc. I thought of doing something like this but don't know of anyone who can make them or what kind of cost. I envision the GBU poster ( or individual character) varnished on the top of a sliding cover. I don't know how to spell the French word (de coup something or other) that the technique is refered to.

Jim

I'd love to know how this works out. If you could share some info etc. I thought of doing something like this but don't know of anyone who can make them or what kind of cost. I envision the GBU poster ( or individual character) varnished on the top of a sliding cover. I don't know how to spell the French word (de coup something or other) that the technique is refered to.

Jim

I think the term you're thinking of is "decoupage", or "découpage". (It was also called "Japanning" once upon a time.)
I agree that would make a slick way to display these figures!

I'd just like to repeat what I posted earlier for anyone who may have missed it:
"The quest for Blondie, Angel Eyes, and Tuco isn't over yet!!!"

I'd like to keep this thread open for anyone who's still interested in either building their own customs or buying them from other talented figure artists on the board.

Not all of us were fortunate enough to get ALL of Rainman's offerings, and I still believe there are going to be other options and opportunities for people who still want to add these characters to their collections in the future. :D

Ok, mudshark I´m with you. I bought 3 rainman figures, I custimized my own blondie by myself with the help of Jimmy Meservey and Billyb but I will keep in this thread because here I have the chance to learn new techniques for customizing and change ideas for improoving my figures so I will be here for a long time.
;)

I think the term you're thinking of is "decoupage", or "découpage". (It was also called "Japanning" once upon a time.)
I agree that would make a slick way to display these figures!

I'd just like to repeat what I posted earlier for anyone who may have missed it:
"The quest for Blondie, Angel Eyes, and Tuco isn't over yet!!!"

I'd like to keep this thread open for anyone who's still interested in either building their own customs or buying them from other talented figure artists on the board.

Not all of us were fortunate enough to get ALL of Rainman's offerings, and I still believe there are going to be other options and opportunities for people who still want to add these characters to their collections in the future. :D

well its obvious that rainman's paintjobs are better than DF studios. you DO pay nearly 200 bucks extra for his work but DF studios paintwork is very good regardless I have Angel Eyes Clothing + Headset by them and it holds up to smallstudios and eneterbay jack bauer paint jobs.

You believe whatever you have to believe to justify the extra $200. If it's worth it to you, that's all that matters.

The boxes I am having made are one-offs by a woodworking friend of mine. They are being made of old barn wood and will be silkscreened with the logo from Few Dollars More and GBU. I am toying with the idea of having a character bio printed on the back of the box.

...The boxes I am having made are one-offs by a woodworking friend of mine. They are being made of old barn wood and will be silkscreened with the logo from Few Dollars More and GBU. I am toying with the idea of having a character bio printed on the back of the box.

Outstanding ! Still would LOVE to see what you have done. Anything you can share. Patterns, layouts, blueprints, whathaveyou. This is REALLY a GREAT way to keep and display these high-end figs.

At the risk of being unpopular I would also like to remind readers of the Frontline GBU headsculpts as well as Stevo's rigs, guns and hats (also Manco wrist brace)and AJ Clothers "wooly" vests and black jeans. There is also an E-Bay store (I don'tknow if its proper to mention by name) who sells a shirt that IMHO is the proper Blondie striped shirt.

Jim

Can I find it right now?
Would you tell us where we could find it at ebay.
I love the billyb work but I would like to see it.
;)
Thanks in advance.

Outstanding ! Still would LOVE to see what you have done. Anything you can share. Patterns, layouts, blueprints, whathaveyou. This is REALLY a GREAT way to keep and display these high-end figs.

At the risk of being unpopular I would also like to remind readers of the Frontline GBU headsculpts as well as Stevo's rigs, guns and hats (also Manco wrist brace)and AJ Clothers "wooly" vests and black jeans. There is also an E-Bay store (I don'tknow if its proper to mention by name) who sells a shirt that IMHO is the proper Blondie striped shirt.

Jim

I still need to put together a Blondie that I can actually play with! :) No way am I actually going to do a lot of posing with the Rainman figs. I don't want to damage them.

I love Stevo's leather works. I wish he could update his gun molds a bit. I don't know of the AJ Clothers stuff. Shoot me a PM if you don't mind so I can look them up. I bought a striped shirt off ebay from the MiniBarbie seller that is really nice. Small stripes and great tailoring. Is that the seller you were thinking of?

Why not mention this ebay store? We do it all the time in other threads, this thread does not belong to anyone, its a place to share ideas etc.

please post this link!

Id like to get other acessories if ic ould for my trio! Bags of gold, fistfuls of dollars, rifles, bottles of whisky! pipes etc.

Why not mention this ebay store? We do it all the time in other threads, this thread does not belong to anyone, its a place to share ideas etc.

please post this link!

Id like to get other acessories if ic ould for my trio! Bags of gold, fistfuls of dollars, rifles, bottles of whisky! pipes etc.

MiniBarbie921 was the ebay seller I bought from, but I don't see the shirt for sale anymore. This seller does have a blue and white striped shirt in the store but it's not the right one. Maybe Jimmy C has another source.

MiniBarbie921 was the ebay seller I bought from, but I don't see the shirt for sale anymore. This seller does have a blue and white striped shirt in the store but it's not the right one. Maybe Jimmy C has another source.

Sorry C49 , MiniBarbie921 IS the E-Bay source I was refering to. The Blue/white striped shirt FC113 is NOT the correct shirt. I think the shirt may have been blue/blue stripe. It is a closer & thinner stripe. It is currently not up for sale. Hopefully they will restock and offer it again.

Jim
:whip

I just received these shirts from miniBarbie on eBay. They are pretty good quality and have real functional buttons (no snaps). the only thing that makes it not accurate to Blondie's is it only has one front pocket, if you keep his vest on, no one would know. They fit better on a HT or Dragon body. I have a few of BillyB's great custom shirts and I like them on SS bodies. These shirts fit the SideShow bodies but are a little short in the sleeve.
They are a pretty decent representation of his blue striped shirt at a good price.

These are the ones I found from MiniBarbie a little while ago (6/09). They seem to be out of stock and have been for awhile.

Last edited:
Guys,

have the following Rainman sets to sell:

- LVC 001 Head&Accessories (put on HT body)
- Gunman 1851 full set (set 10/20)

Ask zuno for confirmation and me if interested/photos and offers.

Thanks
Steve David, Luxembourg

Jimmy C: Thanks for posting this great link again! This man's work is truly outstanding! I think Blondie or Angel Eyes would look great displayed on horseback.

Both Dragon and DiD have made horse figures that could be converted to Western style rides with a little futzing and the correct tack. Ben's would be a great place to start looking for the right stuff! Stevo's Toys also has lots of great accessories to add further detail to any Western themed figures. :cool:

Guys,

have the following Rainman sets to sell:

- LVC 001 Head&Accessories (put on HT body)
- Gunman 1851 full set (set 10/20)

Ask zuno for confirmation and me if interested/photos and offers.

Thanks
Steve David, Luxembourg

pm'd you on clothing set

I know you guys with the full set of Van Cleef Angel Eyes won't care about this too much but I'm very excited I was able to consruct a pipe Im very happy with! I bought this pipe off ebay i knew it was not fully accurate but, Van Cleef with out a pipe just is wrong in my eyes! it was really junky looking when it came in. a big plastic seam all over it, very rubbery looking and had a big sticker on it. Im glad it did actually because if it were nice I'm sure i would have not tried to mod it.

I worked the damn thing for like 2 nights straight. It had to be pretty close to perfect it it were to be displayed with my Rainman fig, I ended up sanding and sanding and resculpting and repainting for hours and hours. I'm very happy with the end result Rainmans I'm sure is better but I'm happy to have a pipe for Angel Eyes!

picture88.png

vancleefo1.jpg

vancleef03.jpg

vancleef02.jpg

Back