Mortal Kombat

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but Noob is Ed Boon's name spelled backwards as Saibot is John Tobias' name spelled backwards. It wouldn't make sense to axe his own part of the name to that character and leave Tobias'.

Not only that, but amonst gamers it's "newb" with an emphasis on "new". It's just coincedence that Noob sounds identical. If that character remains intact I think it should be the whole name, if nothing else than for traditions sake.

I know everything you just said. I was just saying it didn't make since to change the characters name since Tobias left...just kept the second half the of name instead of dropping it. I couldn't imagine him having a problem with it.

Newb is always spelled noob, or n00b. But the name Noob Saibot back in the day struck an air of mystery about him. They need to bring him back as Noob Saibot...not Noob.

I know everything you just said. I was just saying it didn't make since to change the characters name since Tobias left...just kept the second half the of name instead of dropping it. I couldn't imagine him having a problem with it.

Newb is always spelled noob, or n00b. But the name Noob Saibot back in the day struck an air of mystery about him. They need to bring him back as Noob Saibot...not Noob.

It was probably some kind of pissing match with either Tobias leaving and crying and saying, "FINE! But you can't use me name!:(". Or When Tobias left, Boon felt butt-hurt and said, "FINE! Well if you are leaving...I...I'm going to take your name out of the game! :pfft:"

Just my guess, but those are really the only ways I could see it going down :p.

babality.gif

7 new characters announced:

• Cyrax
  • Kano
  • Sonya
  • Jax
  • Kitana
  • Liu Kang
  • Smoke

I wonder if Smoke will be the human or robot version

https://www.gamingeverything.com/20..._confirms_seven_more_mortal_kombat_characters

Could be both with an alternate costume being the second version. Considering both Sektor and Cyrax are in it, there is a good chance it will be the robot form since those three robots have usually been just variations eachother. But then again, both Scorpion and Sub Zero are in it too if they want to use the 'ninja buck' for human Smoke.

I'd actually prefer for them to stick to the basic lineup. Characters from the first three are the only ones I prefer.

I'd actually prefer for them to stick to the basic lineup. Characters from the first three are the only ones I prefer.

Well yea before they got lazy and just started adding characters for the sake of doing so. But Kenshi was the only cool and original character to be added later on that I hope they keep.

But I mean honestly how many match ups of Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion do we need in every game in generation before people get tired of it, and realize it's the same thing over and over again. MK needs a jumpstart or to totally die.

Well yea before they got lazy and just started adding characters for the sake of doing so. But Kenshi was the only cool and original character to be added later on that I hope they keep.

But I mean honestly how many match ups of Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion do we need in every game in generation before people get tired of it, and realize it's the same thing over and over again. MK needs a jumpstart or to totally die.

Kenshi was cool, a lot better then Shujinko. Yuk.

I would consider this game a jump start though, no? I think this looks awesome and fresh.

Kenshi was cool, a lot better then Shujinko. Yuk.

I would consider this game a jump start though, no? I think this looks awesome and fresh.

Well to a point yes, but I mean after almost 20 years of MK, I find it a bit stale lately. I'm not even sure starting from "scratch" again can help it. It's just the formula itself to me is a bit dry now.

The thing I hated most about the newer MK games was the new cast of clone or useless characters, just for the sake of. I mean they did that with the ninjas kind of, but to save space...plus ninjas are cool.

I'd say the dumb characters started in MK4 and continued...

Tanya: Jade wearing yellow sans mask.
Frost: Female sub-zero
Hsu Hao: Jax and Kano had an asian baby.
Li Mei: Kitana without her mask
Mavado: Vampire Kung Lao
Nitara: Female Mavado
Ashrah: Female Raiden
Dairou: lame
Darrius: Black Johnny Cage
Hotaru and Fujin: Two more Raiden clones who are basically the same character
Kira and Sareena: Blood Rayne anyone?
Kobra: Did we really need a Ken Master's rip off in MK? Really?
Daegon: Shao Kahn clone
Reiko, Kai, Jarek: Shao Kahn clones.

They are all forgettable, piss-poor attempts that should that never be in another game ever. It's like where did the fun and originality go? Then I remember that it left when Tobias left and Boon continued to drive the franchise into the ground.

Last edited:
Great point with that list. Out of all the character you named I don't like any of them. I say stick to the line up in the first three MK games. They were the best IMO. I'm glad the game is going less gimmicky and going back to its 2d roots. So far it looks like they're keeping the line up pretty basic as well. I'm very excited about this game.

Back