Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series! Beware Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series!

Jaws is the first film to be reffered to as a ''blockbuster''
I think
and so far this show is a bit less than I was expecting
maybe in te next few episodes...

Never heard Jaws referred to as a Summer Blockbuster before.

Are there any real blockbusters anymore? My understanding is that blockbuster means a movie that has a line more than a block long to see it. There have been some movies that have had lines that long.

It's become it's own term. It just means big film for the masses.

It's become it's own term. It just means big film for the masses.

I realize that, but you also realize that having a movie that has a line more than a block long is unusual, and very few movies are like that, like The Empire Strikes Back, because it was the sequel to Star Wars, one of the most popular movies of all time.

The meaning of the word blockbuster has been watered down, because very few movies actually ARE blockbusters anymore, and everyone wants to hype up their movie so that more people will see it, so they lie and call the movie a blockbuster when it really isn't.

Well, it really is, because the word has evolved into what it means now. There aren't lines around the block because films cost a **** load, and people can't afford the prices. Not to mention cell phones and rude people have jumped up over the past few years.

Well, it really is, because the word has evolved into what it means now. There aren't lines around the block because films cost a **** load, and people can't afford the prices. Not to mention cell phones and rude people have jumped up over the past few years.

That is like calling something supersonic that is slower than the speed of sound.

It's like the word "Epic". :lol

Welcome to the human race. Please enjoy your stay.
My point was calling attention to the fact that the word as it is used doesn't make sense and is therefore stupid, and so it needs to be changed back to prevent humanity from going down the slippery slope to an idiocracy.

It is vitally imperative that reason in language be restored to reverse the stupidity and misunderstanding in the world that leads to inevitable human suffering.

I agree that epic is an overused word. Epic is the new "awesome".

What do you say when something actually IS epic and you want to differentiate it from all the other things you use the word epic to describe? There is no word to do that anymore. You've run out of words by wasting the ones you needed and are now unable to truly convey the message that you intend.

What word do you use to describe a movie that actually does have aline more than a block long? Well, you can't really call it Block Buster anymore, can you?
I guess on some level it implies that there is no more real awesome or epic things in the world, and there are no more real block busters and everything in the world is on the seemingly irreversible path of mediocrity. After all, why bother saving the word epic when there are no more epic things anymore, right?

Get over it. I suppose.

troll.jpg

Are there any real blockbusters anymore? My understanding is that blockbuster means a movie that has a line more than a block long to see it. There have been some movies that have had lines that long.

Years ago they didn't have as many screens showing the same movie.

Just a small example. When I was a kid, we had a movie theater in town that showed one movie a week. Now we have none, but the two towns closest to me went from having 3 and 4 screens to 10 and 12. There are usually 2 or 3 movies that are being shown on multiple screens.

Yeah JAWS started the modern "summer blockbuster" , I consider Star Wars the next one, naturally Empire Strikes back and then it got muddled- E.T, Raiders, more and more. However Jaws and SW and ET was the one/two/three punch that in they became highest grossing films at that time.

Back