The Orville (FOX TV Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd episode was another good one. I like the fact that you can be laughing at something funny and then all of the sudden be blindsided with a suspensful, dramatic moment. Critics say the show doesn't know what it wants to be - well the writers sure know! It is not a new concept by any means, be it film or literature, to mix genres. I do beleive it is working here (at least for me).

Yeah the second episode was much better than the first. The tone of the episode was better and jokes were funnier. Jeffrey Tambor was great and I especially liked how they handled the story with Alara Kitan, it would fit right into classic Star Trek.
And this ep. was directed by Tom Paris himself!

"now I want some eggs" -:rotfl

The Star Trek veterans involved with the show certainly elevate this series to the quality it is and can only help it grow even better. Robert Duncan McNeil (as mentioned above) directed this one, Brannon Braga directs the next one and Jonathan Frakes directs the fifth episode coming up. Each of these guys know and understand good sci-fi.
I am hoping Levar Burton (who directed some of the best Voyager and Enterprise episodes) gets on board to direct and even Roxann Dawson has proven herself behind the camera on Enterprise.

Episode 3 was fueled by a dramatic tone and subject matter...the jokes felt a little out of place this time. This episode felt like it would have been right at home as a Star Trek the Next Generation storyline which is not a bad thing. I will keep watching

Episode 3 was fueled by a dramatic tone and subject matter...the jokes felt a little out of place this time. This episode felt like it would have been right at home as a Star Trek the Next Generation storyline which is not a bad thing. I will keep watching

I thought it was an interesting premise. I agree it seemed like most of the jokes were out of place for the subject matter, I did like the Rudolph cartoon getting through to Bortus though. :lol
However, I really didn't like how one-sided the argument in the episode was, if this was Next Gen. the argument wouldn't have been so narrowly minded.

This has officially been given a second season!
I couldn't be happier with the series so far. I think my favorite episode so far is "Majority Rule", a topical episode that would seem right at home on Next Gen. One of the few TV shows that I'm looking forward to seeing each week, it's great to know that will continue.

Good show but I , too, can't figure out the mix of serious/funny tone that keeps going through the show- not just a serious show with comedy thrown in- more like a comedy that meanders into a drama without meaning to

Good show but I , too, can't figure out the mix of serious/funny tone that keeps going through the show- not just a serious show with comedy thrown in- more like a comedy that meanders into a drama without meaning to

The Original Series also alternated between serious drama and comedy the way the Orville does so the tone is fine with me. I think you need to have a laugh on a Sci-fi show like Star Trek, or the Orville.

Kind of like a fart: sometimes its so stinky its funny... but other times its just noxious and you have to move away.

:mwaha

The Original Series also alternated between serious drama and comedy the way the Orville does so the tone is fine with me. I think you need to have a laugh on a Sci-fi show like Star Trek, or the Orville.

:mwaha

M*A*S*H is similar as well. Started as a comedy with bits of drama but evolved into more of a dramatic show that sprinkled in laughs. The Orville uses this same kind of model in it's storytelling. Show business has been using the term "dramedy" for ages. This show is a sci-fi dramedy. The concept feels new but certainly isn't.

M*A*S*H is similar as well. Started as a comedy with bits of drama but evolved into more of a dramatic show that sprinkled in laughs. The Orville uses this same kind of model in it's storytelling. Show business has been using the term "dramedy" for ages. This show is a sci-fi dramedy. The concept feels new but certainly isn't.

True and I didn't find the last three seasons or so of M*A*S*H very good for that reason..comedy shrunk to nothing- the reason it was great in the first place

kinda bummed that Halston Sage (Alara) is leaving the show.

I hope they do not change their format.. this last episode was like 95% Drama.And was just so so.

they did not say.But they are leaving it open.Seems she is into other projects at the moment.

Posted on Den of Geek.
The Orville found a very creative way to say goodbye to a key member of the ship’s crew, security officer Alara, and Fox has confirmed that the departure of the character is also a stepping down for actor, Halston Sage. Although the network did not give an official reason for Sage ending her run as a series regular, it did leave open the possibility of her character’s return in future seasons. During the hiatus, eagle-eyed fans had noticed that Sage was filming other projects while The Orville season 2 was still in production, so the news is not entirely unexpected.

Back