Watch Dogs -- (Amazing new IP from Ubisoft)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Watch_Dogs -- (Amazing new IP from Ubisoft)

Conan's review is out. That's all I need. :rotfl

Love how he played it as it's a GTA game :lol

image.jpg

Big Lol!

just got the game .. taking my time with it
can't judge the game because i played it a little bit .. "the tutorial" gameplay as it is with every game

just got the game .. taking my time with it
can't judge the game because i played it a little bit .. "the tutorial" gameplay as it is with every game

Cant wait to hear more once you've played it a bit

Preordered this one. I am hoping its fun!

That conan video was hilarious. Always funny to watch someone who doesn't play many games play...makes for a lot of funny moments.

The game looks really good too. Pretty much an amped up GTA which isn't a bad thing at all. I do wish Ubisoft would have allowed steam pre orders to pre load the game though...what's a little while longer to wait I guess.

Congrats and share what you think of the game after some play time.

Played for an hour - made it to the first safe house. Inital impressions: very nice looking, but PC version clearly is the winner here, controls nicely. Clearly a GTA clone in every sense, but that's not a bad thing. Finding the concept of revenge an interesting one

Looking forward to playing more tomorow!

I'm really enjoying this so far...the graphics are fine, don't know what everyone was going on about. But damn, the cops are a bi.tch :lol

Played for an hour - made it to the first safe house. Inital impressions: very nice looking, but PC version clearly is the winner here, controls nicely. Clearly a GTA clone in every sense, but that's not a bad thing. Finding the concept of revenge an interesting one

Looking forward to playing more tomorow!

Totally agreed. I'm playing on the PC and just made it to Act II (I tend to focus on the campaign first then side content although I couldn't help but do a few side missions already). As you mentioned already this is an upgraded GTA which is more than fine and the game is SUPER heavy on the revenge aspect. There is SO much to do it's ridiculous. Every time I start doing a mission I can't help but run into multiple side content missions...again not a bad thing.

I'm really enjoying this so far...the graphics are fine, don't know what everyone was going on about. But damn, the cops are a bi.tch :lol

I think people love to focus on graphics because that is what is immediately available to digest when playing a game. I think the visuals are good but they didn't necessarily blow my mind in any particular fashion. So true regarding the cops or gang of bad guys. The games multiple enemy A.I. is no joke. They come at you from every angle and they are ruthless. That said the amount of missions that I've actually been able to complete in a 100% stealth fashion are minimal. I tend to eliminate a handful of the initial bad guys in a given area through stealth then get spotted and all hell breaks loose.

I'm about 6 hrs in and here is my overall impression so far.
Things I think the game does really well:

-Game physics: Cars can be basically turned into crushed soda cans in a progressively pleasing fashion. Either on purpose or unexpectedly when a group of baddies are on your tail. Even better are the explosions you can cause. When things blow up in this game pieces fly everywhere. It's super rewarding and fun to watch...especially when you hack the grenades on bad guys and watch how they deal with it because it isn't always the same. One guy started panicing while he said "Remember your training...remember your training...what do you do when" followed by a Kaboom while another while freaking out was the most smart AI I had seen thus far and released the gernade and tossed it away from himself and all of his near by enemy buddies.
-Driving: I'm really happy with the way the cars feel as if they genuinely have some weight to them. Sure you can drift around corners like you were in the Fast in the Furious but just as in real life if you try to do that in a pickup truck at super fast speed you're more likely to spin out of control than actually stay your intended course. Side note: For this style of game I really like how when your driving the best route is literally identified on the street so you don't need to constantly take a look at your mini map. This isn't usually a big problem but withthe level of difficulty that cops and badguys pursue you with in Watchdogs it's nice to take one thing off your worry meter.
-Story: I'm liking the story so far and more so the main characters humanistic qualities. Lots of times when you play a protagonist they make you out to be Captain America when in reality most people aren't that. Aiden was written to be very human in that he doesn't always make the right choice and his thirst for vengeance is causing him internal conflict. Also worth mentioning is that Jordie is probably my favorite character in the game. He's super funny and well voice acted...although be warned in any missions where he has to cover you the guys takes a year to take one sniper shot.
-Weapons mechanics: Shooting is precise and all of your hacking bag of tricks are quick and easy to use which is crucial for a game like this.
-TONS to do: Like any GTA style game there is SO much to do. I'm no where near close to completing anything at 100% but I can already tell that if you wanted to complete all missions, collectibles ect without even considering online play or simply exploring it will take you quite a long time.
-Unique NPC data: When hacking people there must be a billion combination of age, job, income, name and description inputs. I say this cause 6hrs in and it seems like every person I look at with my hacking device has a unique combination that I had yet to see. The actual NPC characters themselves are reshuffled (not too much so where you will see the same physical person every 2 blocks but I have seen it happen) however you can't knock Ubisoft for that because as big as this game is they would have had to create a ton of unique NPCs which isn't realistic or practical for an already super expensive game to make.

Not to good:
-Voice acting: This one is nit picking because the voice acting ISN'T terrible by any means. It's actually quite good...BUT I can't help but think how much better the game would be presented if it had voice actors like those from Far Cry 3. The times I feel like the voice acting is less appealing is when character are communicating with each other in the CGI sections. Again this isn't always the case but noticeable at times.
-Can't Shoot while you drive: When you're being run down by 4 cars full of super soldiers (or so it would seem by their ruthlessness) it would be kind of helpful to be able to pull out a pea shooter and blast out some tires...now I know you have a full arsenal of goodies to eliminate the threat but as much as hard as the bad guys chasing you come down on you (especially on bridges where they have literally boxed me in multiple times) it would be nice to resort to less techy based defense without getting out of your car which is pretty much a death sentence in that situation.
-Customization: Not much in the way of customization in this game. Sure you can try to make a fashion statement and change your close but there isn't much else to customize in this game.
-Driving: Now I know what you're thinking...but you put driving in the positive section...right but driving does have a negative as well. The negative being no matter what car you get into when cops or bad guys are chasing you it's like they have nos and you're driving a mini van. In the blink of an eye bad guys that nearly no longer where in your view will break the sound barrier and catch up to you only to begin driving around your speed. It just seems like this was done to provide more of a challenge but I think that could have been handled with more bad guys and less over the top car discrepancies between you and your pursuers.

Overall: Thus far this game is proving to be a really solid game from top to bottom. It doesn't nail everything out of the park but it's above average all around with some outstanding aspects. You'll never get tired of hacking people or things and with the amount of content provided out of the box it's easily worth the price of admission...not to mention DLC is sure to come to even increase the playable content for those completionests that will play this game till their eyes bleed.

Well things about this game are sounding pretty good so far, maybe I will pick it up on the way home.

Awesome review Mjolnir!

agreed! Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks ya'll.

I know I always appreciate hearing others thoughts on a game, especially if I'm on the fence about a title...in the end games are equally fun to talk about and play.

Happy continued hacking everyone :lurking

Well things about this game are sounding pretty good so far, maybe I will pick it up on the way home.

It's a great game for sure...but the best way to know if this game is for you without playing one minute of it is do you like open world mission based games like GTA (and I'm talking about the general concepts and . If the answer is a 100% yes then you won't be let down at all cause I'm pretty sure you could play this game for months without having to repeat any of the content. There are other types of games that can also be included for the sake of relevance however GTA is simply a game most gamers know about and have played at one time or another.

Those 'digital trips' are very Saints Row-esque...even reminiscent of the drug trip that Michael takes in GTA V. I guess Ubisoft wanted to break up the seriousness of the game :lol

Back