Gollum Premium Format, Link to waitlist in 1st post...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Gollum PF available NOW!, Link to buy in 1st post...

I agree that any and all information regarding a product should be posted to the product page at the time of pre-order, but I don't think that there is a purposeful or malicious intent to misinform here. Just how I feel about it, but I can understand you being more upset.

The edition size isn't as important to me as it is for some people, but I do think that with the NRD being applied to a pre-order, the product information should be hosted on the product page at the time of preorder.

I would have to look at old newsletters or find the original web page for the pre-order, but I felt pretty good ordering Gollum regardless of the "international version" at the time of the preorder, and I felt like the big confusion was around the alternate display base. My memory is certainly not bulletproof when it comes to this stuff though.

I agree that any and all information regarding a product should be posted to the product page at the time of pre-order, but I don't think that there is a purposeful or malicious intent to misinform here. Just how I feel about it, but I can understand you being more upset.

The edition size isn't as important to me as it is for some people, but I do think that with the NRD being applied to a pre-order, the product information should be hosted on the product page at the time of preorder.

I would have to look at old newsletters or find the original web page for the pre-order, but I felt pretty good ordering Gollum regardless of the "international version" at the time of the preorder, and I felt like the big confusion was around the alternate display base. My memory is certainly not bulletproof when it comes to this stuff though.

That's pretty accurate Chris. Most of us knew exactly what we were getting into with regard to Gollum and ordered anyway. We didn't know much about the alternate base other than the fact one was on the way, but we did know an International version was coming. I'm certainly not going to give SS an 'A' in regard to their communication skills surrounding this issue, but to say they deliberately deceived us is absurd. All I can say is if SS was deliberately trying to deceive us they did a pretty lousy job of it.....:lol

I still think that the implementation of the NRD is a learning curve for them this year, and while it has had some hurdles, eventually it will be for the best. I think that people are a little stung about paying an NRD on a product when the total and complete picture isn't known, and I can appreciate that. I was always going to order Gollum, so it didn't have much bearing on this decision, but I know that edition sizes are part of the equation for some folks, so I get being upset about that. Heck, even bearmodel had to check with Sideshow to make sure the NRD reduces the amount we are charged at the time of shipping, so I think the NRD combined with additional details coming at a later date have caused some upset.

I am glad that more Gollum PFs are available than originally thought, as I can still hold out hope to pick up a second one later!

Give me a break, when did they ever announce the international version on the page? i remember going to the product page to pre-order, there is absoutely no mention whatsoever about an international version. Where did they mention this? buried in some news letter release? Then once it's soldout all of sudden we get the newsletter saying there is some international version now available again for sale, without mention of any other details. If you think ss wasnt purposely trying to deceive and confuse their customers, i have a bridge in the backyard to sell to you.

For such highend collectiables, it should be clearly stated how many # will be produced on the first day of the pre-order, then that's it. They can charge a non-refundable deposit for pre-order that's perfectly fine, but what they are doing now is shady and goes against everything how a company that sells very limited edition collectibles should operate.

You are right sir, there was no mention of the international version at all on the product page as far as I know.

I still see no need for a version which is exactly the same as the other. Just put it under the same version name and increase the edition size.

If every different edition is the same what's to stop them making more and more names and just increasing the edition size like that. Limited edition only by name? What's the point?

Last edited:

I think it stings adding in a large intl version late in the game. I get its business but this is a "collectible" business and we pay premiums for this hobby based on certain factors like ES.

I still think that the implementation of the NRD is a learning curve for them this year, and while it has had some hurdles, eventually it will be for the best. I think that people are a little stung about paying an NRD on a product when the total and complete picture isn't known, and I can appreciate that. I was always going to order Gollum, so it didn't have much bearing on this decision, but I know that edition sizes are part of the equation for some folks, so I get being upset about that. Heck, even bearmodel had to check with Sideshow to make sure the NRD reduces the amount we are charged at the time of shipping, so I think the NRD combined with additional details coming at a later date have caused some upset.

I am glad that more Gollum PFs are available than originally thought, as I can still hold out hope to pick up a second one later!

I agree with you 100% on this one. If SS is going to implement NRD's then we should have all the pertinent information at our disposal prior to pre-ordering. I actually started a Gollum PF thread in the Ask Sideshow section of this forum and posted this comment concerning the alternate base about a month after Gollum sold out.

Alot of us are looking foward to seeing those pic's, esp. those of us who've purchased one [or two]. No matter how it turns out it's not a dealbreaker for me, but if SS is going to implement NRD's on item's such as this I don't think it unreasonable to expect them to post pic's of all aspects of a statue before making it available for pre-order. :lecture

The complaints of those who believe we should know the ES's and all pertinent information regarding a particular statue before having to pay a NRD are completely legitimate and understandable IMO. As are the complaints of those [like myself] who have yet to figure out the purpose of an International version in the first place. But I think those who believe SS was deliberately attempting to deceive and screw their customers are getting disturbingly close to conspiracy theory territory esp. since every regular member here knew full well an International version was coming....that is something we've been discussing around here since Oct 26th, the same day Gollum went up for pre-order...what a co-incidence. :slap

As has been stated, it never said anything about an international version on the order page or product information page. I think the main reason I knew about it was from other posters on this forum. I wouldn't say SS was exactly TRYING to decieve us but I would say they weren't exactly TRYING NOT TO.

For me I wanted the statue so the ES wasn't as big of a deal but in the end we pay a lot for these statues and once in a while all of us have either had to sell a piece(s) for personal reasons or decided we liked one statue over another and decided to "trade" pieces. In the end being able to sell the piece for as much or more then retail is a nice cherry on top even for true collectors, not just flippers.

I think this US / International version is pretty lame and it is simply a way for SS to meet every bit of current demand. Eventually this tactic will catch up to them and both flippers and even collectors will likely pair back their buying because the "risk" of collecting has gone up. I know many collectors, myself included, take some comfort in knowing that if we hit financial hard times we could hopefully get a good portion of the money spent back. Not to mention it helps to justify the spending with the spouse if the statues somewhat hold their value.

Just my 2 cents. I think this will be a great statue and I'm glad to add it to my collection either way.

As has been stated, it never said anything about an international version on the order page or product information page. I think the main reason I knew about it was from other posters on this forum. I wouldn't say SS was exactly TRYING to decieve us but I would say they weren't exactly TRYING NOT TO.

For me I wanted the statue so the ES wasn't as big of a deal but in the end we pay a lot for these statues and once in a while all of us have either had to sell a piece(s) for personal reasons or decided we liked one statue over another and decided to "trade" pieces. In the end being able to sell the piece for as much or more then retail is a nice cherry on top even for true collectors, not just flippers.

I think this US / International version is pretty lame and it is simply a way for SS to meet every bit of current demand. Eventually this tactic will catch up to them and both flippers and even collectors will likely pair back their buying because the "risk" of collecting has gone up. I know many collectors, myself included, take some comfort in knowing that if we hit financial hard times we could hopefully get a good portion of the money spent back. Not to mention it helps to justify the spending with the spouse if the statues somewhat hold their value.

Just my 2 cents. I think this will be a great statue and I'm glad to add it to my collection either way.

Like I said earlier, SS's communication skills left alot to be desired in this instance and I agree we should absolutely know what the entire ES of a statue is going to be if SS is going to require a NRD. But SS didn't exactly hide the fact another edition was coming when they labelled this statue as a "Domestic Exclusive Edition" or when they provided this information on the pre-order web page:

2010-10-26_133056.png

It seems to me everyone ordering this statue had the opportunity to contact SS and get some clarification before placing their orders.....apparently some did, and others didn't. :dunno

Has there been any other "International Version" that has had a greater edition size than the regular or domestic edition? Not sure since I don't really follow any of the other lines anymore. Also, do the "International Editions" have an edition size on the base?

For the record in my opinion...

NRD and TBA: is a load of crap.

No NRD and TBA: I have no problem.

NRD and ES: I have no problem.

If you wanna charge a NRD and not release an edition size then it should be an open edition item.

:lecture :lol

I have the International Version of the TMNT Mouser maquette. It's an ES of 500, I believe, and does say International Version with the ES on the bottom of the base. The regular was 250.

I'm not really for or against International Versions. On the one hand I feel that an ES should be set and when it sells out that's it. But on the other hand I also feel that collectors should be given the opportunity to acquire popular pieces, and if an International Version allows them to do that, then okay.

Last edited:

If you wanna charge a NRD and not release an edition size then it should be an open edition item.

:exactly:

I totally agree! I think this will improve as the NRD system develops going forward.

Has there been any other "International Version" that has had a greater edition size than the regular or domestic edition? Not sure since I don't really follow any of the other lines anymore. Also, do the "International Editions" have an edition size on the base?

I personally still have a problem with ANY TBA. They shouldn't call them limited editions when they don't actually set the addition size until they pretty much know demand. When they do a release of one version, see what demand was for it, and then release an "international" version, all they have done is determined demand, then manufactured enough to meet it.

And I have no problem with the deposit either.

I personally still have a problem with ANY TBA. They shouldn't call them limited editions when they don't actually set the addition size until they pretty much know demand. When they do a release of one version, see what demand was for it, and then release an "international" version, all they have done is determined demand, then manufactured enough to meet it.

I'm with you on this one. I never liked them in the first place and I like them even less with SS's NRD policy. When the movie-related Thor PF recently became available I refused to order it until SS finally posted the ES.....

Totally agree with this. Well said. :goodpost:

They didn't state anything about an international edition anywhere in that. To clarify something you need to know there is something to clarify, not hidden or omitted in text.

Mentioning the words "Domestic Exclusive Edition" in the title, and informing US customers that they could only purchase Gollum directly from the SS website was a pretty good indication to most of us that something was up. And it took me all of one phone call and about two minutes to find out what that was. And since you were fully aware of SS's intention to produce an International version from Day 1, I have to ask....why are we even having this conversation?

Mentioning the words "Domestic Exclusive Edition" in the title, and informing US customers that they could only purchase Gollum directly from the SS website was a pretty good indication to most of us that something was up. And it took me all of one phone call and about two minutes to find out what that was. And since you were fully aware of SS's intention to produce an International version from Day 1, I have to ask....why are we even having this conversation?

Because there are people who don't read the boards, and there need not be a phone call at all if they fully disclosed the product information at the start. I'm for full disclosure with NRD for limited edition items. How would you know to even call them if they don't state there is another edition? All that says is there that particular one is shipping domestically only.

Because there are people who don't read the boards, and there need not be a phone call at all if they fully disclosed the product information at the start. I'm for full disclosure with NRD for limited edition items. How would you know to even call them if they don't state there is another edition? All that says is there that particular one is shipping domestically only.

2010-10-26_133056.png

No....it doesnt say that at all. It says US customers have to buy directly from SS....that's it. And you're right, people shouldn't have to phone or email to get all the details...something which I have already stated. But, SS in posting the information they did on the pre-order page did raise some questions in the minds of most of us and those of us who actually cared to have those questions answered took the time required to do so. Should we have had to do so....nope. Did we have to in this instance if we wanted clarification as to what we we're getting for our money....yup. But as far as I'm concerned this is all water under the bridge...in about 3 weeks I'll have my two Gollum statues in hand and all will be right with the world. :wink1:

Last edited:

exactly. +100

I honestly thought it meant you could only order it if you live in the US and it would not be available internationally. I thought it was odd at the time but that my was natural interpretation. If the intl version is the exact same thing why wouldnt they just preorder it at the same time.

Yeah, when I saw the description on the day I ordered it, I thought they would make the 'International version' different, else I didn't see the whole point of a whole 'nother version. I didn't see the need for someone to call them to find out. Anyways, the Sideshow decepticons have done it before with the Mouser comiquette which was supposed to be a 'SDCC exclusive', so I'm not surprised. That one was way more heinous. The international version of that is still in stock. They should just take exclusive out of the name since it's a misnomer.

Back