Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far so good with this one. But, to be best in the line it will have to beat the Berserker which will be an awfully tough task. Oh and we will be needing one more Gandalf years down the road from the Hobbit movie :D

I'm nervously awaiting Legolas to see how his paint job turns out from the factory. If they do him justice I see no reason why gandalf shouldn't be lights out either.

Good job SS keep pumping out statues from Middle Earth :balrog

Not wanting to start a full on war, but man do some of you guys seem to be wearing rose coloured Sideshow glasses.

While sure the unpainted, half done PF is starting to look real good, go and actually have a better look at the Weta GtG statue (I just did). Even at 1/6 scale, the beard has finer hair detail then the PF head at the moment and the rest of the details in the Weta one aren't half bad, along with a pretty darn good likeness.

Now, I'm not saying that the PF won't be great, but seriously, to dismiss the Weta statue as a fail, come on.....

Besides, it's been what, about 10 years since that was made, if after all this time and development work and refinement of production processes and methods, if Sideshow can't ship a production statue that is just as good, if not better, then that would be the epic fail.

:lecture :lecture

After Legolas is has been somewhat of a dry spell but hopefully the line starts picking back up.

i thought i read somewhere that sideshow's agreement runs out for the lotr line soon.:confused: thought it was 2011 or 12??
which means we may not see many more of these pieces period if they continue to only put out one or two per year.

i thought i read somewhere that sideshow's agreement runs out for the lotr line soon.:confused: thought it was 2011 or 12??
which means we may not see many more of these pieces period if they continue to only put out one or two per year.

This is why it upset me when they talk about doing such PFs as Arwen. Though I would love her, there are too many others I'd rather see first, like Gimli.

Maybe their agreement does run out, but that doesn't mean it can't be renewed.

Not wanting to start a full on war, but man do some of you guys seem to be wearing rose coloured Sideshow glasses.

While sure the unpainted, half done PF is starting to look real good, go and actually have a better look at the Weta GtG statue (I just did). Even at 1/6 scale, the beard has finer hair detail then the PF head at the moment and the rest of the details in the Weta one aren't half bad, along with a pretty darn good likeness.

Now, I'm not saying that the PF won't be great, but seriously, to dismiss the Weta statue as a fail, come on.....

Besides, it's been what, about 10 years since that was made, if after all this time and development work and refinement of production processes and methods, if Sideshow can't ship a production statue that is just as good, if not better, then that would be the epic fail.

Well first off it looks as though they have produced an epic statue, so no fail there, secondly I personally never said Weta GTG was a fail I just said it'll be going back in the box when this one arrives as I think even looking at the unpainted prototype, this will blow ALL previous incarnations of the Grey Pilgrim out of the water! Unless of course the paint job resembles Pennywise from Stephen King's IT!!! :rotfl

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Last edited:
Malice, Malice, Malice... You need a good smack upside the head, son. :thwak

Don't you know that you need Gandalf to offset all those black clad baddies in your collection? You big goof. :lol

I didn't know Malice was big? :monkey3

Well first off it looks as though they have produced an epic statue, so no fail there, secondly I personally never said Weta GTG was a fail I just said it'll be going back in the box when this one arrives as I think even looking at the unpainted prototype, this will blow ALL previous incarnations of the Grey Pilgrim out of the water! Unless of course the paint job resembles Pennywise from Stephen King's IT!!! :rotfl

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I'm with you Alan, there's nothing wrong with Weta's Gandalf. I've never been sold on the likeness, but it's relative inexpensive, and the pose is terrific.

Could someone with some photoshop skills put the photo of the outfit with the full picture of the Gandalf body without outfit. I think it would help get a better idea of what we will get.

secondly I personally never said Weta GTG was a fail

And I never said you did, but someone did and after that all I was mostly reading was general agreement in one form or another.

It would make any causal reader think that the Weta statue must be so bad, that even based on a half done prototype preview, the PF will be a massive amount better, no matter how the production statues turn out.

Even if the PF does turn out fantastic and I get it, the Weta GtG will still stay on display, as part of my complete fellowship 1/6 scale collection. Replacing it with a 1/4 scale PF would just look silly among all the rest.

Looking fantastic! The pose was a great choice, a great blend of story without being either too static or a crazy action pose.

Neither will it be to close to the bronze/faux bronze that I'm hoping Weta and John Howe are going to from his GtG (in the rain) painting.

I do still love the SSW Gandalf; its one of my favorite statues, despite being neither very rare or expensive, etc.

I am so excited for the PF: I've had to (against my will) pass on a lot of stuff last year and I will be making sure I snag this one.

And I never said you did, but someone did and after that all I was mostly reading was general agreement in one form or another.

I know you weren't saying that Guru I meant IMO I don't think the Weta Gandalf is a fail but for me to display them both together would just overshadow what I think is a very good statue (the weta one). :D

Hey and on top of all this surely WETA themselves are going to produce one, if not more versions of GTG for The Hobbit?? At this rate I'll need a house with lots of rooms so I can have a Gandalf Room, a Saruman Room etc etc :D

Hey and on top of all this surely WETA themselves are going to produce one, if not more versions of GTG for The Hobbit?? At this rate I'll need a house with lots of rooms so I can have a Gandalf Room, a Saruman Room etc etc :D

:lol Now that sounds like a house to live in...don't forget the sleeping room though! :wacky

:lol Awesome! :rock

Would this be a first good guy PF? Weren't you looking for an Aragorn a while back?

:wave

Yup it certainly would!

I was but recently have decided to move away from SS LOTR items and back to the classics from SSW and United Cutlery...also the new line from Weta :) (even considering selling all my SS LOTR goodies to pay for this!) Which is why this PF would have to be absolutely amazing, because it really wouldn't fit into the collection at all :lol

Back