David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

You know, looking at these discussions we're having, this is why I kind of wish these DC films never branched out into connected universes. It just feels half assed. After Justice League, I hope they go back to solo movies.

Flash by himself has so much potential. Batman and his world could be so much more than what Burton and Nolan barely scratched the surface with their interpretations. There could be a modern Superman movie that goes beyond what Bryan Singer and Zach Snuder had to offer.

I like that Wonder Woman is getting this treatment. Hopefully it's a straight forward story that doesn't have all this "world building" crap thrown on it like BvS and Suicide Squad.
This is what I've been saying. Most 3rd films in a trilogy tend to be the worst because directors have to abide by their own rules they set in their own universe and most of the time they want to try something new. With this whole universe thing, it's far worse, now directors have to make a movie that's in the studios vision and the previous directors, while also trying to add their on spin on it.

There's no reason the solo movies can't be fantastic while existing in a universe.

I think it limits creative freedom when wanting to tell stories. Also the big team up movies aren't interesting to me because they're just spectacles to get a lot of asses in the seats. I prefer the smaller scale intimate stories focusing on a smaller cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it limits creative freedom when wanting to tell stories. Also the big team up movies aren't interesting to me because they're just spectacles to get a lot of asses in the seats. I prefer the smaller scale intimate stories focusing on a smaller cast.

Yeah, if Affleck wants to use Joker in his solo film, he's stuck with Gangsta "Beef" Jokaa.

There's no reason the solo movies can't be fantastic while existing in a universe.

They can't resist trying to connect them though with their little stupid references and easter eggs. Just like the Marvel movies, I don't care if they're connected. Something like Guardians of the Galaxy could be from a completely different story universe and I wouldn't care. Hell, I'd rather see more solo Captain America adventures than all this Avengers crap.

The world that WB/DC have build also seems incredibly shallow. They'll drop little things like this in,

robin-bvs-180793.jpg

But 10 bucks says they'll never really shed any light on it in future films. We'll never get a pay off. It's all just kinda there, just like the entire Universe. Honestly, I would have preferred if they had done a MoS 2, a new solo Batman film (that maybe included Joker and Harley or even rogues like Deadshot and Croc), the upcoming Wonder Woman movie and an Ezra Miller Flash vs Boomerang solo film made by different filmmakers.

You know, looking at these discussions we're having, this is why I kind of wish these DC films never branched out into connected universes. It just feels half assed. After Justice League, I hope they go back to solo movies.

Flash by himself has so much potential. Batman and his world could be so much more than what Burton and Nolan barely scratched the surface with their interpretations. There could be a modern Superman movie that goes beyond what Bryan Singer and Zach Snuder had to offer.

I like that Wonder Woman is getting this treatment. Hopefully it's a straight forward story that doesn't have all this "world building" crap thrown on it like BvS and Suicide Squad.

I would have preferred DC did solo films for most of their characters instead of jumping into forming the Justice League. I know some people are happy that DC didn't do it the "Marvel way", but there's something to be said for introducing these characters on their own. Films concentrating on each hero lets us know who these new versions of the characters are as heroes--do the origin, introduce a villain, and give us a reason to care. There's always the option to team up later, but part of my problem with BvS and Suicide Squad is that I think DC tried to introduce too much of their universe at the expense of a solid story and good character building. BvS felt like 3 movies in one so they could get to Justice League and the majority of the characters in Suicide Squad weren't fleshed out at all. I would have loved to have seen Joker (well, not this Joker) introduced in the solo Batman film first, and that goes for Boomerang in a Flash film as well. I'm really looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie. I think it's going to be way better than either BvS and Suicide Squad, and it'll be interesting to see the growth in her character from the solo film to the team up.

DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

Yeah, if Affleck wants to use Joker in his solo film, he's stuck with Gangsta "Beef" Jokaa.

Yup, pretty much. Or they might try going in a very different direction that'll cause a lot of continuity errors with the character, which is probably the best way to go :lol

Or they might try going in a very different direction with that'll cause a lot of continuity errors with the character, which is probably the best way to go :lol

That's what I'd do if I were Affleck. I'd just do whatever the **** I wanted, past and future planned studio movies be damned.

I wouldn't adhere to jack **** except keep Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

Just got back....theater was packed. Initial impression. ..better than I expected. I'll come back with more thoughts on it after I've stewed a bit...

I guess since you're done talking about it then the conversation is over. Good job. Talk about putting someone in their place. No big. DC is nailing it with their films--characters, story, effects--nailing it. Got it. Much like the BvS thread, I can't wait to read your next 300 posts giving accolades to this film. They're obviously well-deserved. Be sure to let me know how many times you watch this one. Riveting stuff from a true fan.

Jeez dude just take it down a notch, no need to be so stuffy.

Khev wasn't going ballistic on you.

These characters can all have different interpretations, who wants to see the same character told the same way over and over and over, that would be boring.

I'm ok with a few films with super trained nice Batman and a few films with super trained angry psycho murderer Batman.

These characters will survive just fine, they will out live us.

You fellas can keep all your solo movies, I want a connected universe, we had solo films for decades this is the era of superheroes working together, same for the villains.

If the film is bad change the director, writers and producers, leave the character relationships alone.

A Batfleck and Deadshot movie would be so ****ing awesome. I really like their chemistry in the film.

Jeez dude just take it down a notch, no need to be so stuffy.

Khev wasn't going ballistic on you.

These characters can all have different interpretations, who wants to see the same character told the same way over and over and over, that would be boring.

I'm ok with a few films with super trained nice Batman and a few films with super trained angry psycho murderer Batman.

These characters will survive just fine, they will out live us.

I'd like to see some more good versions before I die instead of this ****. I get that some people are going to like these films for entertainment value--different strokes for different folks--no big deal. However, anyone that's been a fan of these characters for a long time can see that DC is making huge mistakes. They're not going to get everything the way everyone wants it, but they can at least get the core characters right. Reading posts from people that don't have much experience with the history of Superman or Batman except for the films can get frustrating because there is so much more out there than Keaton or Bale or Affleck. No one really gives a **** though as long as Deadshot hits the punchlines, Batman drives the Batmobile through **** and kicks Superman's ass, and Harley says "Puddin'". I'll just have to wait until I'm 60 and hope they get it right then--though by that time Justin Bieber will probably play Batman and everyone will love it.

I always thought she had super natural powers and the agility of a cat in that film, hence her skills and ability to get shot several times because of her 9 lives. Some people don't see it that way, but I do, and it makes a bit more...sense. If that makes any sense :lol

You know what, I can see Suicide Squad fitting in perfectly to Burton's universe since they don't bother explaining anything and people can do things just because.

Croc's origin is almost exactly the same as Penguin's :lol

You fellas can keep all your solo movies, I want a connected universe, we had solo films for decades this is the era of superheroes working together, same for the villains.

If the film is bad change the director, writers and producers, leave the character relationships alone.

Not this year.:)

Limitations can also produce creativity, and freedom can also be detrimental.

They can't resist trying to connect them though with their little stupid references and easter eggs. Just like the Marvel movies, I don't care if they're connected. Something like Guardians of the Galaxy could be from a completely different story universe and I wouldn't care. Hell, I'd rather see more solo Captain America adventures than all this Avengers crap.

The world that WB/DC have build also seems incredibly shallow. They'll drop little things like this in,

You can't have a DC universe and not have it connected at some point, sure MoS and BvS are dead soil for a connected universe, they already burned so many shells in terms of storylines, characters, developments etc etc. To the point that the only way they can tell Batman stories in this universe anymore is if they do prequels, that's how ****ed up this universe is, that one of the main characters in it has barely any development left after his 1st movie appearance.

I never said THIS universe was a good example, it isn't. But it can be done, it would require planning and people with vision, I've drawn so many imaginary cinematic universe timelines with solo stories included in my mind on my way to work or to jog that it's mind boggling WB can't seem to get a grasp on it.

There's no reason a universe can't be created and still have great solo stories, if comicbooks can do it, even reboot every now and then, surely professional writers from a higher medium could do it right? :)lol)

Pfft, the villains don't do ****. The DC ones so far are awful (Matrix programmed Zod, autistic Lex Luthor, terrible Joker and kooky Enchantress), but look at the Marvel ones especially. They're all one and dones. How awesome would that have been to have seen Red Skull, Ultron, Loki and Thanos team up? It'll never happen, they either die or their contracts expire. :lol

TEAMS UPS ARE WEAK, IT PEAKED IN 2012 WITH AVENGERS

I never said THIS universe was a good example, it isn't. But it can be done, it would require planning and people with vision, I've drawn so many imaginary cinematic universe timelines in my mind on my way to work or to jog that it's mind boggling WB can't seem to be a grasp on it.

Oh well yeah, I agree. I thought you meant this short term thing we're witnessing that seems to only have TEH JUSTICE LEAGUE in mind.

If you're talking scorched earth and scrapping this current one and starting over again (a reboot essentially), than yeah, it could be done. I don't think WB and DC have what it takes though.

Yup, pretty much. Or they might try going in a very different direction that'll cause a lot of continuity errors with the character, which is probably the best way to go :lol

That's going to be one awkward conversation.

Ben Affleck - "Hey, Jared. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about The Batman film."

Jared Leto - "I can't wait to work with you, man. We gonna kill it!"

Ben Affleck - " Right, yeah. I just want to go over a few things regarding the Joker."

Jared Leto - " I've got all these groovy ideas in my head. I've been thinking..."

Ben Affleck - "Could you act less retarded in my film?"

Jared Leto - "Did...you say less...retarded?"

Ben Affleck - "Yes, less Jim Carrey meets Sloth from Goonies and more like the Joker. Thanks!"

That's going to be one awkward conversation.

Ben Affleck - "Hey, Jared. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about The Batman film."

Jared Leto - "I can't wait to work with you, man. We gonna kill it!"

Ben Affleck - " Right, yeah. I just want to go over a few things regarding the Joker."

Jared Leto - " I've got all these groovy ideas in my head. I've been thinking..."

Ben Affleck - "Could you act less retarded in my film?"

Jared Leto - "Did...you say less...retarded?"

Ben Affleck - "Yes, less Jim Carrey meets Sloth from Goonies and more like the Joker. Thanks!"

:lol :lol Can you imagine how insane he would act if he knew he was going to be the lead villain? I feel for any of the cast and crew that would have to deal with him filming for months on end.

Back