2017 Academy Award Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, she'll talk about how Mixed Martial Arts are not the arts :lol

Then proceed to criticize other things that people are into because she doesn't like it...like sports. She'll end her "Rey" worthy speech by praising the industry she loves because a film with a black cast was nominated for best film, hence diversity :lol

Can't wait to hear her preach more about "disrespect invites disrespect" while disrespecting everyone who disagrees with her.

If you hate Meryl, you're a literal Nazi. It's true, don't blame me. It's a scientific and God sent fact.

quote-if-you-make-the-tough-decisions-people-will-hate-you-today-but-they-will-thank-you-for-meryl-streep-82-70-18.jpg

SLLLLAAAAAYYYY QUEEEEEN!

And come on, we all know Streep makes tough decisions every day. Like, what 1.000$ dish should she eat? In which hotel should she spend her holiday? Which castle in Switzerland should she buy? Tough decisions...

Can't wait to hear her preach more about "disrespect invites disrespect" while disrespecting everyone who disagrees with her.

I rolled my eyes at her bull**** speech to the point that I had to change the channel.

Great actress but a complete Liberal elitist without a clue of what the American people feel or think.

It's that time again.

Picture

“Arrival”
“Fences”
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“Hell or High Water”
“Hidden Figures”
“La La Land”
“Lion”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”

Directing

Denis Villeneuve, “Arrival”
Mel Gibson, "Hacksaw Ridge"
Damien Chazelle, “La La Land"
Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”

Actor in a leading role

Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge”
Ryan Gosling, “La La Land”
Viggo Mortensen, “Captain Fantastic”
Denzel Washington, “Fences”

Actor in a supporting role

Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water”
Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea”
Dev Patel, “Lion”
Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

Actress in a leading role:

Emma Stone, “La La Land”
Natalie Portman, “Jackie”
Ruth Negga, “Loving”
Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”
Isabelle Huppert, “Elle”

Actress in a supporting role

Viola Davis, “Fences”
Naomie Harris, "Moonlight"
Nicole Kidman, “Lion”
Octavia Spencer, “Hidden Figures”
Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”

Adapted Screenplay

“Lion,” by Luke Davis
“Arrival,” by Eric Heisserer
“Moonlight,” by Barry Jenkins
“Hidden Figures,” by Theodore Melfi and Allison Schroeder
“Fences,” by August Wilson

Original Screenplay

“Manchester by the Sea,” by Kenneth Lonergan
“Hell or High Water,” by Taylor Sheridan
“La La Land,” by Damien Chazelle
"20th Century Women," Mike Mills
“The Lobster,” by Efthymis Filippou and Yorgos Lanthimos

Original song

“City of Stars” (“La La Land”)
“How Far I’ll Go” (“Moana”)
“Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” (“La La Land”)
“The Empty Chair” (“Jim: The James Foley Story”)
“Can’t Stop the Feeling!” (“Trolls”)

Visual effects:

“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”

Makeup and hairstyling

“A Man Called Ove”
“Star Trek Beyond”
“Suicide Squad”

Animated Feature Film

“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Moana”
“My Life as a Zucchini”
“The Red Turtle”
“Zootopia

My picks are in red. Deleted categories I don't care about. Won't be watching the Oscars anyway. Blah.

My picks with both who I'd like to win and who I think will win:

Best Picture

Who I think should win: Arrival
Who I think will win: Moonlight

Best Director

Who I think should win: Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Who I think will win: Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Best Actor

Who I think should win: Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Who I think will win: Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Best Actress

Who I think should win: Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Who I think will win: Emma Stone, La La Land

Best Supporting Actor

Who I think should win: Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals
Who I think will win: Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress

Who I think should win: Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Who I think will win: Viola Davis, Fences

Best Adapted Screenplay

Who I think should win: Arrival by Eric Heisserer
Who I think will win: Fences by August Wilson

Best Original Screenplay

Who I think should win: Hell or High Water by Taylor Sheridan
Who I think will win: Manchester by the Sea by Kenneth Lonergan

Best Cinematography

Who I think should win: Bradford Young, Arrival
Who I think will win: Bradford Young, Arrival

Best Sound editing

Who I think should win: Sylvain Bellemare, Arrival
Who I think will win: Robert Mackenzie & Andy Wright, Hacksaw Ridge

Best Sound mixing

Who I think should win: Bernard Gariépy Strobl & Claude La Haye, Arrival
Who I think will win: Kevin O'Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace

Best Film Editing

Who I think should win: Joe Walker, Arrival
Who I think will win: John Gilbert, Hacksaw Ridge

Yea he was the best part of Nocturnal.

Gibson will get snubbed prolly. Haven't seen his flick yet. Just cant get past the garfields accent in it. Though I heard it is accurate.

I haven't seen it yet either but yeah, that accent will take a little getting used to. I hope he doesn't talk too much in it :lol

It always cracks me up when celebrities with millions of dollars climb on that stage to give a lesson to the common folk. Promoting a charity or organization like DiCaprio does for his Enviromental Actions is okay, but what Streep did was just sad and insulting.

So because she (and others) worked hard (a lot coming from poverty) to be successful and made a lot of money doing it, they for some reason can't express their views about things but it's ok if it's a reality TV star and self-proclaimed billionaire? There were a lot of truth in the speech she gave. The football/MMA bit was a bit much (even though both does suck ass :p).

Only saw the Arrival and Hell or High Water.

La La Land will probably sweep. Oscars can be boring like that.

Sad The Witch got snubbed.

I haven't seen as many as i wanted to because i haven't gotten a couple of them on blu-ray yet and a few others hasn't hit cinemas in denmark yet :(

Snubbed how? It was a good movie but not that good.

I rolled my eyes at her bull**** speech to the point that I had to change the channel.

Great actress but a complete Liberal elitist without a clue of what the American people feel or think.

So because she's rich and famous she's a clueless elitist? Based on some of the topics in her speech, she has a pretty good idea of what the majority of the country wants and it's not the bull%#@t Trump and he's goons are selling.

So because she (and others) worked hard (a lot coming from poverty) to be successful and made a lot of money doing it, they for some reason can't express their views about things but it's ok if it's a reality TV star and self-proclaimed billionaire? There were a lot of truth in the speech she gave. The football/MMA bit was a bit much (even though both does suck ass :p).

It's not about her politics, and it doesn't really have to do with who won, who could've won, and all that. It's the simple fact that she's using the award ceremony to push her agenda, whatever that may be. Lots of folks rose from poverty or just an average life, into positions of power and wealth, and some of them did it by actually working hard and offering something to the world, other than just being actors.

At the end of the day, she's someone who gets paid millions to do something that's not exactly worth all that, while giving away minimal amounts, like 10,000$ or just 1M in educational causes, most of which go to NGOs. Compare that with Oprah, who really grew up dirt poor, and has given away 400M only in educational causes. And it ain't like Streep grew up in poverty. She got Opera lessons for God's sake!

It's all in the attitude. Compare her "hollier than thou" attitude to others, who just get up, get their award, say the typical speech, and that's it. I don't think anybody wants to hear about the hardships of Hollywood is what I'm saying.

Say what you will about actors and their politics, but I will always have great affection for Marlon Brando's colossal "**** you" to everyone at the '73 Oscars. John Wayne looked like he could've **** a brick.:lol

Brando knew that actors weren't anything special back in the day. He knew they were full of **** and didn't respect anyone that idolized them. He knew what was up.

Say what you will about actors and their politics, but I will always have great affection for Marlon Brando's colossal "**** you" to everyone at the '73 Oscars. John Wayne looked like he could've **** a brick.:lol

Eh, that was different. He didn't get up to the stage and start ranting about Holywood, while leaving with his award. He rejected it and actually did something. And his reason was valid, unlike Streep's "we have to safeguard the truth". Self-important much? Not to mention "Holywood is the most vilified sector in this country, cause we're foreigners" thing. What even the hell was that?!

It was just a stunt-speech. I mean, look at her topics. She started by "insulting" Holywood, so that when she starts praising it and through it herself, the world won't see as arrogance, but as recognition. She even mentioned Carrie Fisher and tried to cry. It was justall a giant set-up. But it was the whole "if we don't stand guard, Holywood will be deported and art will be lost" bit. It was just a classless move.

Just saw Hacksaw Ridge. Wow, WOW. Absolutely epic filmmaking. The trailers do NOT do this film justice. Gibson is just a powerhouse who won't let up. The stateside scenes were reminiscent of 90's Darabont and the war sequences were Saving Private Ryan with large scale close-quarters fighting that I don't know that I've seen since Platoon.

Gibson has a way of presenting black and white morality in such a non-cheesy, no nonsense way that is just so inspiring. Everyone did a great job, I had no idea Hugo Weaving was in it and it was great to see him on screen again. Sam Worthington was the weak link initially but stepped up and held his own by the end. Gorgeous cinematography that absolutely demands to be seen on a big screen if you haven't yet and it's still playing in your area.

Instant Top 2 movie of 2016 for me.

Brando knew that actors weren't anything special back in the day. He knew they were full of **** and didn't respect anyone that idolized them. He knew what was up.

This. There's a difference between sending a message, and using your award to give a speech about how Holywood is full of the real art, and is somehow threatened by... anything!

Just saw Hacksaw Ridge. Wow, WOW. Absolutely epic filmmaking. The trailers do NOT do this film justice. Gibson is just a powerhouse who won't let up. The stateside scenes were reminiscent of 90's Darabont and the war sequences were Saving Private Ryan with large scale close-quarters fighting that I don't know that I've seen since Platoon.

Gibson has a way of presenting black and white morality in such a non-cheesy, no nonsense way that is just so inspiring. Everyone did a great job, I had no idea Hugo Weaving was in it and it was great to see him on screen again. Sam Worthington was the weak link initially but stepped up and held his own by the end. Gorgeous cinematography that absolutely demands to be seen on a big screen if you haven't yet and it's still playing in your area.

And Gibson did it with a modest budget, limited resources ( three jeeps, two trucks and a tank) and I believe the whole film was shot in Australia.

And Gibson did it with a modest budget, limited resources ( three jeeps, two trucks and a tank) and I believe the whole film was shot in Australia.

Just googled the budget. $40 million. That's amazing. Such a highly recommended movie. And it was nice to see Teresa Palmer as his wife. I've always liked her but she's mostly done crap until now. Glad to see her in a respectable movie.

I would like to agree with you. . .but frankly, by that point in his life, Brando was totally off the rails. I don't think he knew up from down :lol

^This is exactly how I feel. I saw this twice and instant 10/10 for me. Gibson has a way of making me feel for his characters and the story that very few filmmakers can. When they succeed I want to cheer out loud and when they fail I feel their failures. Hacksaw Ridge is my favorite of 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, personally, I think Hell or High Water was probably my favorite film of the year. The writing and dialogue were fantastic, and I think the narrative, as a whole, did an excellent job of illustrating the sort of disillusionment and anger of the white, working class males in rural areas that, really, influenced us, politically, this year.

Chris Pine's character seems like a pretty, I wouldn't say stable, but, maybe, reasonable kind of guy, who goes out and does something drastic because the financial sector has already screwed him and is looking to again. The acting on all fronts, was great, but I keep going back to the dialogue.

I feel like this movie should be shown in film classes as "Character Development 101" or something, because all four of the main characters are so well rounded and so realized, just by how they speak to one and other, and it really builds this kind of familiarity and affection with the audience that makes the climax, when all four come to a head, all the more gutwrenching.

I actually found the bank robbery scenes in Hell or High Water unsettling as someone whose been on the receiving end of 2 hold-ups myself (albeit with knives not guns)

Looking forward to seeing Hacksaw Ridge.

Back