2017 Academy Award Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3379268-4735817880-The-M_zpsaxbatf74.jpg

Nice. :duff Curious as to your thoughts on La La Land. I know folks here wouldn't be caught dead watching it since it's a musical but I thought it was fantastic except for (once again) the ending which I'm thinking I might now be coming to terms with.

I've been trying to catch everything in the movies, but where I'm at, a lot of these indie movies play in obscure theaters, so it's a bit of an obstacle to see everything. Moonlight and Hell or Highwater I caught online though.

Spoilers for La La Land:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Did you watch the video review that Grace from Beyond the Trailer gave? Her criticisms match yours almost exactly point for point. I actually like her reviews, I don't always agree but she always comes across as a non-partisan fan who doesn't pull any punches but at the same time recognizes why certain movies she doesn't like would resonate with others.

Anyway yes I agree on Mia's character, though I do always enjoy watching Emma Stone's expressiveness play out on screen so she herself made her character bearable to me. But if you don't like Stone then there's no WAY you could enjoy La La Land. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yup, Casey Affleck will be taking this. Garfield was far better in Silence in my opinion.

However, I can see with all the stuff going on in the media with Affleck it might hurt his chances of winning, just like Nate Parker and The Birth of a Nation fell if the face of this earth after the ridiculous rape allegations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you watch the video review that Grace from Beyond the Trailer gave? ]

No, I've read a few reviews online after watching the film because I didn't like her character when I saw the film. I wanted to see what critics were saying about the story. Some agreed that she's horrible, and others were more optimistic. I guess, I'm in the Mia is horrible camp :lol

There was a review on RT that summarized the events of the film pretty well, so I used part of that one as reference in order to keep track of the chronological order of the story.

No, I've read a few reviews online after watching the film because I didn't like her character when I saw the film. I wanted to see what critics were saying about the story. Some agreed that she's horrible, and others were more optimistic. I guess, I'm in the Mia is horrible camp :lol

There was a review on RT that summarized the events of the film pretty well, so I used part of that one as reference in order to keep track of the chronological order of the story.

I'd like to know what more people thought of it. It seems there might be a MASSIVE divide on what Hollywood thinks of their own movie versus audiences. When it ended a girl sitting a couple seats from me literally said "That ending just ruined the entire movie for me." People who were laughing and seemingly enjoying themselves all throughout the film seemed to leave deflated and almost betrayed. But that's how my audience was with The VVitch (minus the "laughing throughout" part :lol) which I loved so I'm just curious as to how widespread that reaction is.

I'd like to know what more people thought of it. It seems there might be a MASSIVE divide on what Hollywood thinks of their own movie versus audiences. When it ended a girl sitting a couple seats from me literally said "That ending just ruined the entire movie for me." People who were laughing and seemingly enjoying themselves all throughout the film seemed to leave deflated and almost betrayed. But that's how my audience was with The VVitch (minus the "laughing throughout" part :lol) which I loved so I'm just curious as to how widespread that reaction is.

The film's trailer is somewhat misleading. It reminded me of another Ryan Gosling film, Blue Valentine. That trailer is even more misleading than La La Land :lol

Rogue One not nominated for best movie, actor, screenplay, and director? Sickening. I call "alternative facts" on these choices. C'mon Khev, let's get 'em!

0nrObFJ.jpg

Meryl Streep could be in a Fast Furious movie and get an Oscar nomination ....she could play Rosa Parks and it win win best picture, screenplay , song , actor , actress, supporting actor and actress . Doesn't matter who is in it, you could put Ice Cube as Martin Luther King and he would get nominated because of Meryl

I just noticed "The Lobster" is in the "Original Screenplay" category. It's probably not gonna win, but hey, it's a damn accomplishment for a director from here to reach all the way to the Oscars.

And then she gives a ten minute speech about the patriarchy, followed by her taking a bath in her golden bathtub, while her boytoy is giving her a massage.

Yes, she'll talk about how Mixed Martial Arts are not the arts :lol

Then proceed to criticize other things that people are into because she doesn't like it...like sports. She'll end her "Rey" worthy speech by praising the industry she loves because a film with a black cast was nominated for best film, hence diversity :lol

Back