Star Wars: The Canon Reloaded

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth will you cling to?

• Willing to fully embrace the new canon

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Sticking with the old Expanded Universe

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Going to wait and see

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Pick and choose from new canon and old EU

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Movies only

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Movies and TV shows only

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Original trilogy and sequel trilogy only

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Original trilogy, sequel trilogy and TV series only

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
New interconnected series from Marvel:

SWAOS_TEASER-2.jpg

Surprised they didn't go with an adult Anakin.

Age of Republic is first up with mini-series for Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Anakin Skywalker, Count Dooku, Padme Amidala and General Grievous.

Last edited:
The latest Darth Vader issue appears to confirm Palpatine, not Plagueis, created Little Ani:

Vader-pregnancy.jpg

So he *did* have the power to create life (if not prevent death).

That all looks like stuff that was already done in the early 2000s. Now that Disney has milked everything they could from the OT, it seems like the PT is next (see the onslaught of PT collectibles, video game downloads, comics and other media planned for 2019).

After that well is dry, what will they have left?

I stopped reading the Disney SW series when pre-ESB Han and Leia fought back to back with lightsabers but those Vader comics had some really great art and writing.

This upcoming Frazetta inspired cover is absolutely incredible.

nh9voa4jzi221.jpg

That all looks like stuff that was already done in the early 2000s. Now that Disney has milked everything they could from the OT, it seems like the PT is next (see the onslaught of PT collectibles, video game downloads, comics and other media planned for 2019).

After that well is dry, what will they have left?

Sequel trilogy nostalgia by then.

Okay, the Lucasfilm Story Group now says this doesn't literally mean Palpatine created Ani, it's just a dream sequence. Have to admit, it didn't really occur to me on first reading, it was only when articles began appearing that I thought of it.

It *has* led me to discover that Palpatine was Ani's creator in the first/rough draft of ROTS, so he remains the frontrunner, not Plagueis as I'd gathered from the film.

Okay, the Lucasfilm Story Group now says this doesn't literally mean Palpatine created Ani, it's just a dream sequence. Have to admit, it didn't really occur to me on first reading, it was only when articles began appearing that I thought of it.

It *has* led me to discover that Palpatine was Ani's creator in the first/rough draft of ROTS, so he remains the frontrunner, not Plagueis as I'd gathered from the film.

Wait, Lucas was actually planning to have Palpatine definitively be revealed as Anakin's creator? Seriously!? I'd never heard that before. I guess it shouldn't surprise me after everything else in the PT, yet it's still hard for me to believe.

So, that means that Palpatine would have somehow mystically impregnated a slave woman on a distant and desolate planet, let her raise this kid into slavery on her own for several years, and then what? Fully expect that the kid would make his way to Palps when the time is right? The kid who had to be granted freedom; and be taken in by a Jedi who got stranded on Tatooine; to then be brought to Palpatine's doorstep in order to undergo training as a Jedi; and finally - after several more years - turned to the Dark Side?

Damn, that'd be some real long-range thinking there; and with some incredibly accurate foresight too! What a shame that Palpatine's foresight would've diminished so much by the time of ROTJ. :dunno

(Sigh.) If any of this makes its way into Episode IX in some fashion, I'm not sure if I'll die of laughing, or of letdown. :slap

Yeah, I remember reading that about the ROTS first draft shortly after the film's release, lol.

Wow. When I learn stuff like this, I can't help but wonder what percentage of Lucas just didn't give a **** anymore when he was coming up with post-OT stories. If we were to take all of the discarded ideas of his for PT and ST stories (especially whichever ones we don't even know about) and make a list, the wtf factor would be epic!

I could be wrong, but I just get the sense that his inspiration post-ROTJ was never actually truly authentic and genuine whenever he'd go back to SW after that. I don't know why he couldn't just embrace having someone else tell the stories. Or at the very least, have people just pitch stories so that he could still choose the overall direction without forcing himself to generate specific ideas that he doesn't seem to have really been genuinely inspired to come up with himself.

Wow. When I learn stuff like this, I can't help but wonder what percentage of Lucas just didn't give a **** anymore when he was coming up with post-OT stories.

Yeah. I know you hate Solo but remember we were *this* close to George saying that Han's official backstory was that he was a feral kid raised by Chewie on Kashyyyk. :slap

solo-concept-art-3.jpg

Which of course would been a complete retcon of everything official and unofficial stated about Han's past prior to that. Thank God he left the door open for someone to do it properly (IMO.)

:lol :lol

You're putting me in a tough spot of choosing between Jonathan Kasdan and post-OT George Lucas. :lol

Okay, fine; I'm happy we got the lesser of two evils. Just this one time. ;)

Back