Star Wars: The Canon Reloaded

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth will you cling to?

• Willing to fully embrace the new canon

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Sticking with the old Expanded Universe

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Going to wait and see

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Pick and choose from new canon and old EU

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Movies only

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Movies and TV shows only

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Original trilogy and sequel trilogy only

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Original trilogy, sequel trilogy and TV series only

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
0pgfnK0.png

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Good one!

...........I'm okay with a lot of the new cannon presented in the Marvel comics. I'd prefer if Vader and Luke do not meet until Cloud City, however a similar first contact was depicted in 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' back in 1978. The original 1990's EU was the absolute WORST in my opinion. So many horrid story lines I can only think of a few. Mara Jade, the Yuuzhan Vong, IG-88's brain controlling the Death Star -all yuck!
Although I did like the Bane series and some of the Darth Maul novels/comics.

with such an incredibly robust sandbox to play in, Marvel Comics seems to be happy with cliche… they are given some of the most iconic characters of our time to work with and they don’t know what to do with them…

Yep, that IG-88 concept was the worst. The Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire and Shadows of the Empire, however, were awesome.

Speaking of the comics, there's been another major development...

tumblr_npuvl4J4g71qdd730o1_1280.jpg

wouldn’t it have been so much more interesting to flesh out Vader’s obsession of this Death Star destroying, force sensitive pilot? talk about a missed opportunity to really develop his character… they rushed the plot point and there was no pay off…

furthermore... it is a bit of a cheat for the artist to simply trace movie stills... what point is there to reading a comic if it cannot push us past what we already have seen? why risk the stories in my own imagination by reading paint by number cliche plots?

wouldn’t it have been so much more interesting to flesh out Vader’s obsession of this Death Star destroying, force sensitive pilot? talk about a missed opportunity to really develop his character… they rushed the plot point and there was no pay off…

Hadn't really thought of that. Their first time round Marvel stretched out Vader's quest for Luke's identity a coupla years.

Though this time he's found out in the context of another devastating deception by The Emperor, who's been plotting since the start to replace him with more advanced cyborgs. Vader now has twice the motivation to take him down.

furthermore... it is a bit of a cheat for the artist to simply trace movie stills... what point is there to reading a comic if it cannot push us past what we already have seen? why risk the stories in my own imagination by reading paint by number cliche plots?

So far the new SW comics have felt epic and important. I guess interspersing key moments with scenes from the films reinforces the fact that these new stories are canon.

"So far the new SW comics have felt epic and important. I guess interspersing key moments with scenes from the films reinforces the fact that these new stories are canon."

"epic and important"? i was thinking "frivolous and cliche". i appreciate the optimism, but tracing film stills (not to mention photos of Sideshow figures) only demonstrates a lack of vision by the artist. the writing is just as lacking... perhaps even more so... it has no respect for the films.

Yep, that IG-88 concept was the worst. The Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire and Shadows of the Empire, however, were awesome.

Speaking of the comics, there's been another major development...

tumblr_npuvl4J4g71qdd730o1_1280.jpg

Luke Has a DERPY Derp face...

More prequel referencing, this time in Journey to The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire, which takes place immediately after ROTJ. Leia returns to Naboo as Palpatine tries to destroy the planet from beyond the grave...

tumblr_nw8mlum4SF1qdd730o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw8mlum4SF1qdd730o2_1280.jpg

WTH? Leia flying a Naboo starfighter against an ISD? That looks terrible.

caught up on the latest Marvel Star Wars... "Shattered Empire" in my opinion is the worst of it... "Lando" is the surprise hit and even "Chewbacca" has potential... "Shattered Empire" just seems to miss the mark by more than a few parsecs.

You know what else was cannon? 108 issues of Marvel Star Wars vol.1 from 1977 until 1986. Marvel at the time straight up admitted LFL wasn't reading or reviewing the material they sent in. Marvel accidently created Ewoks before they appeared in ROTJ. Lucasfilm freaked at the oversight, less that a year before Return was due for release.

So, comics and book cannon... Don't get so hung up on it. After all, Chewie used to be dead.

Sure, there might be another reboot... in another few decades!

The comics might now be on the same level as the movies, but you can easily ignore them if you choose (as most will).

Back