The Star Wars OT/PT general chat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know Anakin is Vader because I watched ESB (on TV) only after seein' AOTC on a big screen.
Before all that I've only seen original Star Wars movie so for me episodes I and II were about Luke's father and I was wondering were the **** his friend Vader at. :lol

Now that we have general thread for this stuff...

Disney canon vs Expanded Universe

Of course original is short, logical and fits right in.
***king Disney.

As if OT stories are some kind of unique greatness. :lol
It's just a bunch of slapped together elements from other popular stories Lucas liked, nothing more.

First off all I did not say they were.. I said the PT did not have the best stories going on.. I would say the that the OT did a much better job telling a solid story.. Wouldn't you?

OT had a story that was told very well overall. When you take a bunch of stories and slap them all together in a good way.. Well You end up with Star Wars.

PT took a the classic forbidden Love story and did it poorly. Plus Trade Federation subplots... General Grievous sub plots Etc.. Etc.. See the difference?

There a plenty of movies that take old ideas and refresh them into new ones to tell a good story. Come on Riddick stop being such a Riddick.

Last edited:
When you take a bunch of stories and slap them all together in a good way.. Well You end up with...
... some other thing that is timeless and great. And probably more mature and less messy. :lol

Let's not pretend here. Original SW has a lot of good stuff cut out from it which made the narrative and characters less interesting than they could be, plus mediocre acting from most leads. While ESB didn't dwell on parts that made original good, was less tacky and more dramatic... the tone has lost that fairytaly feel, which made the whole thing stand out stylistically. They tried to go back to original's tone and simplify the story with ROTJ but it just felt too silly and cheesy after ESB.

So all in all OT SW isn't as great as fans want it to be.
Just because it was made long time ago and is popular doesn't mean it's the best thing ever.

Let's not pretend here. Original SW has a lot of good stuff cut out from it which made the narrative and characters less interesting than they could be, plus mediocre acting from most leads. While ESB didn't dwell on parts that made original good, was less tacky and more dramatic... the tone has lost that fairytaly feel, which made the whole thing stand out stylistically. They tried to go back to original's tone and simplify the story with ROTJ but it just felt too silly and cheesy after ESB.

So all in all OT SW aren't as great as fans want it to be.
Just because it was made long time ago and is popular doesn't mean it's the best thing ever.

You and I may disagree about a lot of things when it comes to SW, but this is truth. All of it. :lecture

Rare publicity shots from RotJ
IMG_3942.jpgIMG_3943.jpgIMG_3944.jpgIMG_3945.jpgIMG_3946.jpg

The PT could have been great, with the same basic plot, but there was just too much bad.

From Jar Jar, lil Annie, horrendous dialogue, inane humor (stepping in poop, for example), boring and unnecessary plot points, overuse of CG, some really bad character and set design (Jax and his Diner), incredibly unconvincing relationships, over-choreographed fight scenes, dying of broken hearts, having the high ground, bad puppet Yoda, and on and on....

It really overpowered what was good... Darth Maul, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Ian McDairmid

Just such a waste of potential.

Thanks for reminding me how much I dislike the PT.

You forgot 3po Vader creation no one seems to remember in the films.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... some other thing that is timeless and great. And probably more mature and less messy.

Perhaps you feel that way.. But it was more then just spectacle that made this film last.. Without a good story and great characters this film would have been big but it would not have lasted.

Its a solid hero's journey story.. It may not be the most original. story but it was well told.
[SUB][/SUB]

Let's not pretend here. Original SW has a lot of good stuff cut out from it which made the narrative and characters less interesting than they could be, plus mediocre acting from most leads.

Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, 3PO and R2 were plenty interesting. Some of cinemas most popular and iconic characters ever.. Even without the sequels I bet they would still stand the test of time.

While ESB didn't dwell on parts that made original good, was less tacky and more dramatic... the tone has lost that fairytaly feel, which made the whole thing stand out stylistically. They tried to go back to original's tone and simplify the story with ROTJ but it just felt too silly and cheesy after ESB.

ROTJ was not too silly after Empire.. It was too silly compared to ANH also... It is not as well made and the acting takes a big step backwards.. Its a perfect example of What ANH and ESB would have been if not for a very good story with very good characters whos acting made the universe believable.

So all in all OT SW isn't as great as fans want it to be.
Just because it was made long time ago and is popular doesn't mean it's the best thing ever

What is your point? I think I am confused but what you are trying to prove.. I started off saying PT had more issues then the original poster thought.. SW fans had issues with the PT story, characters, and acting.. Funny enough all the things you try and put on the OT.

All SW pretty much say that the trilogy ends up being less then perfect because of Jedi but otherwise the other two films easily stand up well

Hell I did not even really like ANH until I got to see it again after Empire. I think I was actually too young to appreciate ANH.. I thought it had too many ship battles
:lol

ANd Yes.. Because it was made long ago and yet is still so popular and so many think it is still great.. Pretty much means that its up there in cinematic "Best things ever" category.

It just not in Riddick's Best things ever category. :)

You sure these are SW problems and not Raveneye problems?

:lol Dude... I think of the worse way of possibilities... No one thinks of the unexpected... If you're uncomfortable with the possibilities I provide, I believe crows does sessions for therapy at 99.99 usd a hour.

Ntm I secretly just like to see what people say to the craziest **** that COULD be true... :monkey3

Fair enough, far be it from me to discourage creative thinking. :lol

I just get a little skittish on account of some previous experiences here.

Fine...

Ewoks were savages that were going to get freaky with leia and force her to eat her friends. :lecture

:lol

It is known

One of my all time fav skits from Cracked on YouTube..

The Ewoks are Horrifying

‘That’s like the American army losing to, like, f—king chipmunks’

:lol :lol

Back from when cracked used to be funny, I used to visit it everyday.

Now that we have general thread for this stuff...

Disney canon vs Expanded Universe

Of course original is short, logical and fits right in.
***king Disney.

I saw that a few days ago, the old one indeed had a better flow and characterization. In the new one the dialogue is more like exposition. Art was also better.

Back