New Star Wars Canon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much existing Star Wars canon should Disney retain?

• G-canon (clean slate, Eps I-VI only)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • G-canon + T-canon (Eps I-VI + The Clone Wars)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • G, T and C-canon (incl. DH comics, recent novels)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • G, T, C and S-canon (incl. vintage Marvel comics, older novels)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Combinations of above as LF Story Group sees fit

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Prime Clone

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the news Disney is rebooting Star Wars canon with the Lucasfilm Story Group, I figured we were due another Expanded Universe poll! How much of the existing EU should Disney keep?

I personally think it's unlikely they'll jettison too much existing continuity, given they were trumpeting the number of characters and planets in the existing canon when they ponied up the $4b for Lucasfilm. But what do you hope will be their starting point?

(For the record, I voted all levels of canon - the old Marvel comics and novels of the era have sentimental value to me!)

someone once said that the gennedy CW series was considered to fit where it did not contradict. and some parts were considered to be In universe "war propganda" films. Like mace windu vs the droid army.

How much existing Star Wars canon should Disney retain?

Selected sections of the PT - i.e; poignant moments that still hold some weight, & obviously Eps 4-6. :)

Anything Gungan, midichlorian, 'Ani the maker', Yoda the jumping bean, CGI-CW, or Grievous related - should be flushed down the Jon. :lecture :exactly:

Last edited:
Nothing from the PT is going to be taken out,

My guess, is that it'll be just the movies, the clone wars show, and a few things that take place around the PT along with probably most of the Old Republic stuff. I doubt any of the books and comics that take place after ROTJ will be kept.

Great topic. The Episode VII thread was getting bogged down with EU discussion but it really does deserve its own thread.

My guess, is that it'll be just the movies, the clone wars show, and a few things that take place around the PT along with probably most of the Old Republic stuff. I doubt any of the books and comics that take place after ROTJ will be kept.

I don't know. Heir to the Empire is over 20 years old. It's just as important of a story to many younger fans as the actual OT is considering they grew up with it. For me, the EU is really just a natural extension of the OT. I am just as sentimental about much of it as I am with the films. It'd be a pretty big F'U on Disney's part to throw it all away. Realistically, I think they'll pick and choose. I don't see how the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, the X-Wing novels, or even some of the lesser quality novels set before the NJO could have a major impact on the new movies. I could see them wanting Chewie to be alive. I could see them not wanting the Solo kids to have died/turned to the Darkside. But I don't see how all that other filler would hurt the movie unless this Sequel Trilogy were to span over the 30 year gap.

That said, I voted for keeping it all. I have high hopes the Sequel Trilogy will be better quality than the Prequel Trilogy and I have a feeling with general audiences, it will be seen as a better trilogy. The only thing that has concerned me really from the beginning is how they'll handle the EU. It's going to have to be an AMAZING movie for me to accept them contradicting the books I grew up with as a child.

Great topic. The Episode VII thread was getting bogged down with EU discussion but it really does deserve its own thread.

I don't know. Heir to the Empire is over 20 years old. It's just as important of a story to many younger fans as the actual OT is considering they grew up with it. For me, the EU is really just a natural extension of the OT. I am just as sentimental about much of it as I am with the films. It'd be a pretty big F'U on Disney's part to throw it all away. Realistically, I think they'll pick and choose. I don't see how the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, the X-Wing novels, or even some of the lesser quality novels set before the NJO could have a major impact on the new movies. I could see them wanting Chewie to be alive. I could see them not wanting the Solo kids to have died/turned to the Darkside. But I don't see how all that other filler would hurt the movie unless this Sequel Trilogy were to span over the 30 year gap.

That said, I voted for keeping it all. I have high hopes the Sequel Trilogy will be better quality than the Prequel Trilogy and I have a feeling with general audiences, it will be seen as a better trilogy. The only thing that has concerned me really from the beginning is how they'll handle the EU. It's going to have to be an AMAZING movie for me to accept them contradicting the books I grew up with as a child.

I would be surprised if they actually kept those main characters the way they are in those books, specifically the Solo kids (likely to get a name change or maybe not be twins or something like that), or Mara Jade might be not be Luke's wife, or Thrawn might not exist.

Hang on... Star Wars is being rebooted?!

Kinda. the " keepers of the holocron" or whatever the comittie is being called is going through ALL of the EU material.
Comics
Games
Novels
ETC

And deciding what is going to stay, and what is going to go. They get the final say. The understanding is that the Movies and TV series are going to stay as is.
AFTER THAT EVERYTHING that gets made will be part of the new Official canon.

It's worth mentioning that disney touted and talked about the 4 Billion purchase being largely worth it BECUASE of all the included "Expanded material, spanning tyhoushands of characters, and hundreds of worlds" beyond just the films.
I Strongly doubt that they're going to can The Majority of the POST ROTJ novels.

I think we're going to get ben skywalker, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo, and several others. Renaming existing characters is pointless, and expensive. WE've been told that films beyond 7 will focus more on the kids.

I THINK The Thrawn trilogy will stay largely intact. I think that MOST of the events leading up to NJO will stay intact. once we get into the NJO tteritory, things get shakey, which is unfortunate, becuase those are some of the best books, post Vong war.

I'm fairly certian the Legacy comic series will get the axe. I think much of the marvel comics series will also get the axe. Dark Empire will probobly go too.

Video games....
KOTOR I and II are proboboly safe, as is The MMO, unfortunately.
Dark forces might get tweaked.

i also anticipate the X-wing series will largely get left alone as well.

Kinda. the " keepers of the holocron" or whatever the comittie is being called is going through ALL of the EU material.
Comics
Games
Novels
ETC

And deciding what is going to stay, and what is going to go. They get the final say.

How 'bout that. Leland Chee, the Keeper of the Holocron, now has more clout than his old boss. He has become "more powerful than you can possibly imagine"!

How 'bout that. Leland Chee, the Keeper of the Holocron, now has more clout than his old boss. He has become "more powerful than you can possibly imagine"!

The more i read about Leland Chee, the more Confidnat i am that a good chunk of the EU POST ROTJ will be staying.

Edit: Oh my. and Pablo Hidalgo (https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pablo_Hidalgo) is on the stroy group panel as well.

NEET. Yeah, i think those of you expecting the post ROTJ universe going away need to give up on that.
The Loremaster, and a Game designer who wrote a chunk of the EU material on the panel.... I couldn't be happier really.

The more i read about Leland Chee, the more Confidnat i am that a good chunk of the EU POST ROTJ will be staying.

Edit: Oh my. and Pablo Hidalgo (https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pablo_Hidalgo) is on the stroy group panel as well.

NEET. Yeah, i think those of you expecting the post ROTJ universe going away need to give up on that.
The Loremaster, and a Game designer who wrote a chunk of the EU material on the panel.... I couldn't be happier really.

:blissy:rock:panic::love:banana:monkey5:monkey5:hi5:

There are survivors mentioned in some of the expanded universe books. Also, play The Force Unleashed if you can. There are some surviving jedi there as well.

why not just keep it... it can't be unread... why not move on to new characters and circumstances. it is a big galaxy with a new point of view... why not a fresh start?

why not just keep it... it can't be unread... why not move on to new characters and circumstances. it is a big galaxy with a new point of view... why not a fresh start?
Becuase that's not what Fans "THINK" they want.
At least, not yet.

But it seems like officialy they are keeping MOST of it.

Back