Sideshow Bith 'Modal Nodes' Cantina Band

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6th Creature Cantina band

Great news for OT fans. Even thought I grew up with OT I'm more of a Prequel fan so this isn't a buy for me. But like most I do hope thy they aren't more than $80 b/c like it's been said, they look rathereasy to make.

I'm still hoping to see 1/6 Dooku and/or General Grievous

These look really cool. Tim Miller sculpted them for anyone who wants to know.

I have a bad feeling about this, I think Sideshow is showing the inside of the wall again, much like Gammy's Archway.:(

If it is like the Gammy archway where it's only a portion of the arch I'm not going to be interested. On the other hand if they have the full stage I probably won't be able to afford it. :lol I've just never cared for partial environments.

Honestly, if there is a bit of a corner of the cantina I might be interested. But only, only if there if it plays music :lecture

It's not that I'm sure Sideshow couldn't improve on what Hasbro did way back when, I'm just a little put off that they've been trending towards redo's alot lately. When the line first started Sideshow acknowledged what Hasbro had previously did and said they would build off that. It was inevitable I would eventually upgrade my collection but with so many prior re-makes back to back, and to add in the Hot Toys discussion, I'd like to see something along the lines of figures that haven't been done before in either collection.

Where's my 12" Destroyer Droid darnit!!!

Honestly, if there is a bit of a corner of the cantina I might be interested. But only, only if there if it plays music :lecture

Yep...If I'm going to commit to this then I'd like, and I mean literally, "ALL the bells and whistles"!!!

Something that lights up wouldn't hurt either and some kind of "FLEX-PAY" on a bundle discount, so I can budget for other SW releases throughout the year!

Might sound stingy and I wouldn't expect them to give them away for free but 6 figs + an envoriment is alot to throw down just to complete the setup!

Looks like they come with a enviroment...

That is what I noticed as well...I am very excited for this set. And I will be perfectly good with 6 Biths and a partial stage...I DO hope the stage is big enough for the 6 Bith, though.

Time to start bringing my own lunch box to the office so that I can save enough money to hand over to Sideshow. ;)

This is a cool product annoucement and I can't wait to add these to my "Cantina" collection.

If anyone wants to compare it to the original, here's a photo I took as a kid in 1978 at Rick Baker's house, when my family visited CA, of one of the original masks used in the film:

cantina-band.jpg

Sean

:horror

NICE PIC SpaceCrawler!!!!! THANKS for sharing!! What was that visit like????

Surprisingly, the SS sculpt doesn't look anything like the original :(

:horror

NICE PIC SpaceCrawler!!!!! THANKS for sharing!! What was that visit like????

For those who don't know, Rick Baker is the top special effects makeup artist in film and did several of the creatures in the cantina scene (and since has done countless other films). My older brother and I were very into movies as kids, Harryhausen films, makeup effects, classic films, etc. We spent our youth making super 8 movies. I was pretty young, but we created quite a catalog of weird and crazy films and monsters as kids. Anyway, as we got older my brother decided he wanted to do that for a living and eventually struck up a correspondence with Rick Baker, asking for tips, etc (we were still sort of young at this point). This eventually developed into an invitation to Baker's house when my family took a trip to California in August of '78.

Rick's place was full of his sculptures. It was amazing to see. I have a bunch of photos from that trip. He also had a few of the other pull-over masks used in the cantina scene there, but this was the only photo I scanned. Rick was very nice. We visited with him many other times as well (we even made a super 8 gore comedy film that has an appearance with Rick called "Bloodbeast of the Old Zoo". It gained cult status among the effects people in the early 80s, even directors like John Landis saw it and loved it- in fact Landis "borrowed" the arm dropping off the walking zombie in Thriller from Bloodbeast where the same thing happens.

Anyway, my brother eventually went on to work with Rick Baker on Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video (he's actually one of the zombies at the end, pictured below), American Werewolf in London (my brother played the wolf in half the film and puppeted the dead "Jack" head in the theater scene), and others. My brother is the guy on the far left below:

Picture-2-1.jpg

My brother also worked on The Thing and countless other films, including GI Joe, the new Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean, Van Helsing and lots of others.

Anyway- I'm sure there's more to tell about the visits with Rick, D i ck Smith and other guys, but it's late and I'm waiting for Santa to show up. :) But one of these times Rick took my brother and me on the Universal studios lot and we just walked around for a while, saw the shooting set for Battlestar Galactica (the bridge of the ship) and tons of other stuff. Fun times.

And I agree- the Sideshow head doesn't look quite right compared to the original.

Sean

I wouldn't quite agree cause the soft mask here would tense to collapse a little since its empty inside. I guess when its worn it did take the shape of the person's head.

Edit: you might have a point. Checked some movie stills, the top of the head seems to be more broad than Sideshow's sculpt.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say nothing like the original, it's not dead on, but without a few reference pics and studying it I don't think many people will be able to tell the difference.

Back