Playstation Vita Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are wrong about the GPS info.

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/settings/location.html

GPS features (only on 3G/Wi-Fi models)

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a system that enables you to know your location by using the satellite navigation system of the United States.
When obtaining location data using the GPS feature for the first time, or when it has been a while since the last time the GPS feature obtained location data, it might take several minutes to obtain the location data and calculate your location. If your system does not obtain location data from GPS satellites and calculate your location after several minutes, move to a new location with a better view of the sky and try again.

Wi-Fi models

Your system can obtain location data using data about detected Wi-Fi access points. Your system must be connected to the Internet to obtain location data.
Obtaining location data using data about detected Wi-Fi access points

To obtain location data about detected Wi-Fi access points, your system must be connected to the Internet.
Your system obtains location data using information from Wi-Fi access points in the vicinity. When location data is obtained, your system downloads Wi-Fi access point information from a broader area and saves it on your system. If you are within the area of the data that has been saved, your system can calculate your location quickly even if it is no longer able to connect to the server.
If you are outside the area of location based services, your system might not be able to obtain location data.
To view the coverage map for the service, select the following link:
https://www.skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php

Gotcha. Thanks. I would still need to go through a service provider to use 3g for gps on the fly though. Sucks they don't have wifi everywhere.

GPS features (only on 3G/Wi-Fi models)

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a system that enables you to know your location by using the satellite navigation system of the United States.
When obtaining location data using the GPS feature for the first time, or when it has been a while since the last time the GPS feature obtained location data, it might take several minutes to obtain the location data and calculate your location. If your system does not obtain location data from GPS satellites and calculate your location after several minutes, move to a new location with a better view of the sky and try again.

Wi-Fi models

Your system can obtain location data using data about detected Wi-Fi access points. Your system must be connected to the Internet to obtain location data.
Obtaining location data using data about detected Wi-Fi access points

To obtain location data about detected Wi-Fi access points, your system must be connected to the Internet.
Your system obtains location data using information from Wi-Fi access points in the vicinity. When location data is obtained, your system downloads Wi-Fi access point information from a broader area and saves it on your system. If you are within the area of the data that has been saved, your system can calculate your location quickly even if it is no longer able to connect to the server.
If you are outside the area of location based services, your system might not be able to obtain location data.
To view the coverage map for the service, select the following link:
https://www.skyhookwireless.com/locat...y/coverage.php

So in other words, I would have to connect the gps to the internet before I leave anywhere and it'll download all the wifi areas in the direction of my destination, in order for me to use the gps while Im traveling?

I got the Amazon holiday exclusive for $180 that included 4 downloadable games (Walking Dead, Retro City Rampage, Uncharted and Sly Cooper). It was the 3G version with a 4GB.

But I had a problem with as the system froze with a Please Wait screen after setting the time, date and location. I tried numerous things but followed the strangest advice and placed the unit over an incandescent lamp to heat it up until an error occurred. That finally got me past the Please Wait screen. I installed the 3.00 update, but there was only .5GB left on the 4GB card. So I had to order a 32GB card to install any of the games. I haven't played anything yet as I am still waiting for the new memory card.

Last edited:
I got the Amazon holiday exclusive for $180 that included 4 downloadable games (Walking Dead, Retro City Rampage, Uncharted and Sly Cooper). It was the 3G version with a 4GB.

But I had a problem with as the system froze with a Please Wait screen after setting the time, date and location. I tried numerous things but followed the strangest advice and placed the unit over an incandescent lamp to heat it up until an error occurred. That finally got me past the Please Wait screen. I installed the 3.00 update, but there was only .5GB left on the 4GB card. So I had to order a 32GB card to install any of the games. I haven't played anything yet as I am still waiting for the new memory card.

There's no way your memory card should be that full - format it. I've got 2 demos on mine, + the killzone patch (which is 1.1 gigs). You can definitely fit 1 of those 4 games on that card.

There's no way your memory card should be that full - format it. I've got 2 demos on mine, + the killzone patch (which is 1.1 gigs). You can definitely fit 1 of those 4 games on that card.

thanks, just formatted. Not sure what was taking all the space on the card. but i still need a larger card as sly cooper and uncharted are 3GB each. I've got a 32GB coming in a few days.

I also get a error code related to the 3G mobile. I've disabled it and don't plan to use it but the error still comes up once each time I start up. I guess I just ignore it.

thanks, just formatted. Not sure what was taking all the space on the card. but i still need a larger card as sly cooper and uncharted are 3GB each. I've got a 32GB coming in a few days.

I also get a error code related to the 3G mobile. I've disabled it and don't plan to use it but the error still comes up once each time I start up. I guess I just ignore it.

Yeah, it sucks but luckily on my wifi I can shuffle games on and off fast.

I really recommend uncharted, its fantastic - i couldnt put it down, and its just like the console ones.

I'm playing through mercenary now - I'm amazed at how good it looks on the Vita.

I don't know if anyone will care about this, but as an avid BL2 fan, I thought this was pretty cool news. I'm really curious to see what this version is like.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/borderlands-2-vita-includes-6-dlc-packs-ps3-cross-save

While I don't fancy the Vita slim due to the LCD, I love that it's getting a worldwide release. I didn't cared much about the Vita but ever since I got one, I have to say it's a lovely piece of hardware and something gamers should strive to own, especially at its' current price and the PS4 connectivity.

I want a Vita so bad... hard to choose between the two now, my only gripe is that damn LCD on the slim.

I want a Vita so bad... hard to choose between the two now, my only gripe is that damn LCD on the slim.

Go with the new...streamlined power source for charging (seriously, the old Vita has three things to connect-USB, connector box, and AC plug--before you get to charge), less weight, better battery, rounded shape, and more appropriately sized rear panel.

For everyone saying the OLED is nice, it is. But it also has many flaws with it too. Exaggerated color and the biggest drawback...whenever the screen goes dark and you are in a dark room, you will see the totally asymmetrical "glue" connection points behind the screen. This basically means you get to see big smudges behind the screen, that cannot be removed...and if your like me and play your Vita before bed, it will definitely make you less hesitant to stay on the OLED train. Google "Vita OLED issues" and you can probably see more pictures of what I'm describing. Not pretty. Not sure if resolved with more recent OLED Vitas (I got mine at launch), but if I remember correctly I think Sony commented and said it was unavoidable and part of the manufacturing process.

The other great thing about the PS Vita in General is it's very PS+ friendly...many great free games and sales available.

I'll be getting a new LCD and trading in my old once released. But to each their own!

Last edited:

The slim has pretty much the advantage in every category- better designed, more user friendly, less weight and more battery life EXCEPT the LCD screen. Seriously, OLED can't be beat, and that was more than enough to convince me (and many others) to get the original.

If the washed out, poor contrast ratio and ghosting effects doesn't bother you, go with the slim. For me, I'd rather sacrifice all the revised design features for the OLED. After all, puny Vita games looks GORGEOUS on that sweet screen. :drool

Both of you make great points... but now I feel more confused than ever.

going_crazy1.gif

I bought one a few months ago after I got a playstation plus membership. I freaking love it, it's awesome. I also have the music unlimited on mine and love that too. The free games are awesome if you're willing to get a PS+ account, which I recommend. I mean the games that are free right now are crazy, you get 100's of dollars worth of free games for like a 50 dollar membership, it's awesome. The free Vita games are pretty kick *** too, Uncharted is great, Sonic all star racing is actually a blast, Megaman hunter x is free even though it's not listed as such and you can play any of the playstation classics on the vita if you buy them. I just really like this thing, it's awesome. As to which version, idk, they both seem nice, I have the original release with the 3G and it's nice. The display looks great and I don't play for long periods of time so I don't have an issue with the battery life but that's just me.

Back