Robert Rodriguez's PREDATORS Movie Thread - SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PREDATORS has an official release date: July 9, 2010

Not really, in the end, Arnold basically became a primitive hunter and arguably the true "predator" of the movie.

not really? how he won in the end is more a demonstration of his thinking than the showcase of his brute force.

billy tried the muscle over mind method. it got him killed. arnold won exactly because he did the opposite.

not really? how he won in the end is more a demonstration of his thinking than the showcase of his brute force.

billy tried the muscle over mind method. it got him killed. arnold won exactly because he did the opposite.

What he said.

Hmmm I think I agree with each of you about halfway. Arnold had the brawn to set up the traps, but without the brains he wouldn't have been able to coordinate things in such a clever way. Arnold does end up a sort of 'predator' but only because he is forced to fighting on even ground with the actual predator, using traps, intelligence and stealth to get his enemy.

Arnold never wanted to capture a trophy, he wanted to survive. Although they resort to similar tactics, Dutch's motives are very different from the Predator's.

And in the end, it boiled down to more of a match of wits then muscle. If it were a matter of hand to hand combat with no external factors, the Predator would have crushed Dutch easily and it wouldn't have been very interesting. It was the war of wits that was fun to watch, trying to see them outsmart one another.

the motives may be different, but at the end arnold did become the hunter just the same. though i always find it very convenient that in all the time it took arnold to set all those booby traps, the predator was nowhere to be seen.

look, this the hunter becomes the hunted thing is nothing new. the theme has been done in many movies before and after. what's cool about the first movie is it pits the terminator with a pred, two warriors with the brawn and the intellect to go head to head. and then with the sequels the selections to represent our species just got weaker and weaker - an elite commando --> city cop ---> explorer ---> pizza delivery boy. i mean, come on.

the motives may be different, but at the end arnold did become the hunter just the same. though i always find it very convenient that in all the time it took arnold to set all those booby traps, the predator was nowhere to be seen.

look, this the hunter becomes the hunted thing is nothing new. the theme has been done in many movies before and after. what's cool about the first movie is it pits the terminator with a pred, two warriors with the brawn and the intellect to go head to head. and then with the sequels the selections to represent our species just got weaker and weaker - an elite commando --> city cop ---> explorer ---> pizza delivery boy. i mean, come on.

wholly agreed. its the right mix of brawn and brain that makes it interesting. it cant just be a battle of wits or else there'd be no physical immediacy, no sense of danger.

fingers crossed!

There's already a release date.....Is there a script??? Is there a cast???
Have they started filming???? WTF???
How can anyone in there right mind expect this to be good???
Good movie's take time.

All films get release dates they try to aim. Its not a new thing. Sometimes they need more time, or it gets pushed back. But that is not always the case.

I thought it was always implied the whole time Arnie was setting up those traps, he applied, and reapplied the mud to make himself 'invisible' to the Predator?

I mean, what were we going to really see, the Predator walking around confused, scratching his head looking for AHHHNOLD?

Great, more $h!t to collect and spend on. As long as it doesn't taint the Predator character anymore than AVP has, i'm all for it.

just cause arnold is invisible doesnt mean the pred cant detect movements and noises of trees and branches and rocks being lifted up and moved around.

the pred didnt see arnold earlier because apart that arnold was in mud, he was also SILENT and STILL.

wholly agreed. its the right mix of brawn and brain that makes it interesting. it cant just be a battle of wits or else there'd be no physical immediacy, no sense of danger.

fingers crossed!

yeah, and the two opposing forces has to complement each other. you only look as tough the opponent you're willing to fight - the pred look like a badass for taking on arnold, and vice versa. getting you ass kicked by danny glover just make you look weak. and when they went avp and took the human out of the equation, what does that say about us?

Billy was a ******, he's no Dutch, and he brought a knife to a gunfight. :lol

just cause arnold is invisible doesnt mean the pred cant detect movements and noises of trees and branches and rocks being lifted up and moved around.

the pred didnt see arnold earlier because apart that arnold was in mud, he was also SILENT and STILL.

That's an awfully long time though. Cutting down vines, sharpening the branches into pungis, downing the tree and notching the log to make the trap, tensing the vines to make the bow. Between the work noise needed to do most of that and Arnold's grunting, realistically, the Predator would've found him. However, that wouldn't have moved the plot along and would've wound up a downer of a movie. As far as any "intellect" goes, I really wouldn't give either side much leeway in that area. When all was said and done, the movie's ending was nothing that spectacular or ingenious, it was a simple game of Tom and Jerry. :lol

I'd kinda like to see a prequel and see what happened to Harper and his men. :naughty

Predator 1 is still the best..the rest sucks as hell. THe only thing that is good with the sequel is when there's predator on the screen. If they want to make a new movie on predator, why cant they make a entirely new one? hy must it be a reboot of the 1st?

I'm not up in arms about this as a lot of people will be I say give it a chance and if it stinks it stinks

Its too late now but I always wanted to see a direct sequel to Predator 1 with Arnold returning as a seasoned veteran. The last scene of Predator, when Dutch was in the helicopter, it looked like he had shell shock.

I imagine in the sequel, the military always ask him what happened out there but he never talks about and doesn't want to give them any information. So he becomes like a drill instructor or something. Then the military gets a report of a UFO landing near a training ground. Then the government wants to interrogate him but he wont talk. So they tell him a scout team went into the area and they lost contact 3 days ago. One of of the soldiers was a kid Dutch had instructed. Then they show him the last picture the team sent back. Its the bodies hanging from trees and Dutch just says ".....mutha^^^ah"

ANd thats my Pred 3 trailer :banana

Billy was a ******, he's no Dutch, and he brought a knife to a gunfight. :lol

:D apparently no one told him that.

That's an awfully long time though. Cutting down vines, sharpening the branches into pungis, downing the tree and notching the log to make the trap, tensing the vines to make the bow. Between the work noise needed to do most of that and Arnold's grunting, realistically, the Predator would've found him.

exactly. i was referring to the earlier scene when arnold was applied the mud by accident. no way the pred wouldn't have detected him when he was prepping the traps.

However, that wouldn't have moved the plot along and would've wound up a downer of a movie. As far as any "intellect" goes, I really wouldn't give either side much leeway in that area. When all was said and done, the movie's ending was nothing that spectacular or ingenious, it was a simple game of Tom and Jerry. :lol

:lol
maybe there is a room to make a good sequel after all. smarter tactics, from both sides.

yeah, and the two opposing forces has to complement each other. you only look as tough the opponent you're willing to fight - the pred look like a badass for taking on arnold, and vice versa. getting you ass kicked by danny glover just make you look weak. and when they went avp and took the human out of the equation, what does that say about us?
What Glover's character needed was MORE brains. It wasn't a matter of having a more physically imposing guy for the PRedator to go up against, it was of Glover being smarter to keep proportion to the amount of strength the PRedator had going against him. It wasn't like P1 where it was a mix of randomness (always cool in an action movie done well) and brain and brawn. P2's ending was just....kind of anti-climactic and not very fun or clever if you ask me.

Danny Glover looked like he was going to keel over during the entire movie. When you can't run 10 feet without panting afterward, then you have no business fighting a Predator.

The Predator (in P2), not to be outdone, died in a less than stellar way. He out-embarassed glover. Maybe in Predators the ugly hunters can go up against super babies.

...and the Predator left the area to search for him. Sure Arnold would have made noise, but you're forgetting the natural noises the jungle would have in it to help cover them up.

I get what you're saying, but there are rational things that would at least not make the whole thing seem so silly.

Danny Glover looked like he was going to keel over during the entire movie. When you can't run 10 feet without panting afterward, then you have no business fighting a Predator.

The Predator (in P2), not to be outdone, died in a less than stellar way. He out-embarassed glover. Maybe in Predators the ugly hunters can go up against super babies.

What's the difference between Glover and Arnold (aside from appearance) when the Predator can destroy each in pure hand to hand combat? sure Arnold could outrun the Predator, but that's not really how he won. In a boxing ring, P1 would easily have taken Arnold down without the assistance of weapons. Same with Glover, it would just take slightly longer with the Schwarz. In the films, the only difference is that Arnold used more of his wits to defeat the Predator, that and some luck. Glover needed more of that.

PRED 3 = :banana

PRED RE-BOOT = :duh:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back