Red Dead Redemption

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of what? How? Please...elaborate.

Just my personal thoughts on the game. I own it, it's okay. It's nothing new, it's basically GTA in the old west. I don't think it's deserving of all the praise and overhype is all, definitely not GOTY material. That's not to say it's a bad game, it's just sort of lackluster.

Just my personal thoughts on the game. I own it, it's okay. It's nothing new, it's basically GTA in the old west. I don't think it's deserving of all the praise and overhype is all, definitely not GOTY material. That's not to say it's a bad game, it's just sort of lackluster.

How is RDR not game of the year material???

The way they set up the music, so you hear a different track whether you're in a shoot-out, horse race, roaming around a town. . . that sort of thing, all those little moments you don't notice. It's a fully realized atmosphere.

All the animals running around, the fact that you can even skin them and sell their pelts, claws, teeth, etc.

The 'honor' system. The fact that people will walk up to you and challenge you to a showdown, even things like the Gang Hideouts.

I'm not sure how you can think that it's 'nothng new'. I don't know what games allow to you lasso people and drag them for miles onto a train track and have them smushed into a fine red past.

Your critique that it's 'GTA in the Old West' sounds to me like you just haven't gotten the full experience. I felt the same way for about 2 or 3 days into it. I stopped playing it for a few days, because after my initial enjoyment wore off, it really fell into a lull of standard GTA-style missions, but then the story really picked up and I was hooked.

The way they set up the music, so you hear a different track whether you're in a shoot-out, horse race, roaming around a town. . . that sort of thing, all those little moments you don't notice. It's a fully realized atmosphere.

All the animals running around, the fact that you can even skin them and sell their pelts, claws, teeth, etc.

The 'honor' system. The fact that people will walk up to you and challenge you to a showdown, even things like the Gang Hideouts.

I'm not sure how you can think that it's 'nothng new'. I don't know what games allow to you lasso people and drag them for miles onto a train track and have them smushed into a fine red past.

Your critique that it's 'GTA in the Old West' sounds to me like you just haven't gotten the full experience. I felt the same way for about 2 or 3 days into it. I stopped playing it for a few days, because after my initial enjoyment wore off, it really fell into a lull of standard GTA-style missions, but then the story really picked up and I was hooked.

It just all seems like those same old GTA missions, find and kill this person, or let them live...race, find this person, run this job for me...ok I get it, there are missions. And the story driven ones are usually shoot outs with the broken gameplay mechanics, the controls are better than GTA's but they still feel unresponsive sometimes and sluggish.

Skinning animals becomes very tedious after awhile, I wish there a way to skip that custcene, and just press a button to take their skin.

A lot of games nowadays go with that honor system though, the if I do good things people will help me out, and if I'm bad people will hate me and become hostile.

Star did you beat it? Cause the ending is worthy of GOTY in itself. The connection they build with the player in the last few missions is incredible.

Star did you beat it? Cause the ending is worthy of GOTY in itself. The connection they build with the player in the last few missions is incredible.

I did not beat it because I really couldn't get into the story much. I tried getting into it, then quit..then played again for awhile and quit again. The most fun I had was probably with friends online when I first got it...that's about it.

The guys is entitled to his opinion. I do however think it is game of the year and he is a little crazy for not liking it but it's up to him.

Anyone interested in playing together online? My tag is GreenLantern117. None of my friends have this game and I am looking for some cool people to get together once in a while and play through the gang hideouts, the co-op missions, Undead Overrun, and not shoot my horse, blow me up with dynamite or tomahawk me.

Last edited:
Black Ops arrived today and the disc was bouncing around indside the case like a pinball. decided to go down to target and exchange. the security guard walking me down to to CS was telling me how great RDR is and BO can't compare. right before i got to the counter i made him turnaround and get me RDR instead.as we a are nearing the glass case a customer says you should get RDR because its incredible. i said " don't worry security already talked me into it". ill be hitting the Wild West shortly .

Black Ops arrived today and the disc was bouncing around indside the case like a pinball. decided to go down to target and exchange. the security guard walking me down to to CS was telling me how great RDR is and BO can't compare. right before i got to the counter i made him turnaround and get me RDR instead.as we a are nearing the glass case a customer says you should get RDR because its incredible. i said " don't worry security already talked me into it". ill be hitting the Wild West shortly .

A wise decision.

very, very good game....i'm currently trying to finish the undead nightmare dlc.....
Spoiler Spoiler:

:slap That's what I did when I heard this. Good luck with uninspiring GTA in the west.:wave

I fear after all the hype and praise you've heard you may be let down by the game itself.

Back