Metal Gear Solid 5: The Return of Hideo Kojima

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading some of these comments make me think that Kojima sort of sabotaged himself by making Snake into this "Old Snake" character.

I honestly HATED seeing Snake turn old (and grow a mustache on top of it). I understand the reasoning behind it, the storyline for it made sense, but I just didn't like it! We always have this belief that these characters are "timeless" and "ageless". Link, Mario, Luigi, Master Chief, etc. will never truly "die" or "age". Comic-book superheroes haven't aged for over 40-50 years!

Like you said Solidus, the fans were outraged about how Snake was handled in MGS2. Even I was when Raiden showed up. Of course they released games like "Substance" to try and make things cool by being able to play as Snake during the whole "Plant" section but the damage was done.

Snake, in my opinion, never really was the true "coach" in MGS2. He was there on his own mission during the Plant section. He just fell into that sort of role as the behind the scenes guy later when things fell apart for Raiden. If he is in MGS5 and is regulated to a Commanding Officer role, I'm sure Kojima KNOWS he has to regulate a *new* main character to be of the same level of intrigue and caliber as Solid Snake or you're going to have a fan uproar.

Raiden was a prettyboy punk who came out of nowhere. Had a unique storyline but he looked more the part of a Final Fantasy character than a young soldier and I think that resonated deeper than Kojima expected. Especially the American audience, because MGS sells better in the USA than it does in Japan and Kojima has acknowledged this. I think it made some of think about what happened? Especially since we're spending half the game playing as a character we know so little about.

I will say that playing as Raiden in the second half of MGS2 was one of the BIGGEST mistakes/disappointments in video game history. Hence the outrage at Kojima, the death threats, etc. He had a HUGE amount of momentum going into the PS2 and after the immense success of playing as Solid Snake in MGS1, he really dropped the ball with that decision in MGS2. So he knows he has to be careful with the direction and decision that he makes.

Imagine playing Halo 2 and then suddenly you play the second half of the game as a young soldier punk with little care to who he is. What happened to Master Chief? Or playing a Legend of Zelda and suddenly you're playing some other elf kid and NOT Link?

The mission structure of the game is a bit repetitive, but it was on PSP so I can't fault it for the limitations of the hardware. Really, the only thing you could do in MGS4 that you couldn't in PW were the advanced takedowns.

Still, Big Boss has such a rich history, and his story is better than Dave's to me. Plus seeing him dealing with the loss of The Boss in PW was pretty deep.

Or playing a Legend of Zelda and suddenly you're playing some other elf kid and NOT Link?
Well, that's pretty much what Wind Waker did :D

But I think your comic book analogy is a good one. Videogame characters are like comic book characters in many ways. No real reason to see them grow old and die IMO. And even if they do die, they should be just as prone to resurrection as Marvel and DC characters :)

I disliked old Snake with mustache as well, but damn if that wasn't a phenomenal game.

I kind of hate and like Old Snake at the same time. It's weird.

Its cuz he was a spaz during the whole game. Its one thing to develop the character, having to deal with his accelerated aging, and its another to turn him into a blubbering idiot and completely unlike himself.

I honestly HATED seeing Snake turn old (and grow a mustache on top of it). I understand the reasoning behind it, the storyline for it made sense, but I just didn't like it! We always have this belief that these characters are "timeless" and "ageless". Link, Mario, Luigi, Master Chief, etc. will never truly "die" or "age". Comic-book superheroes haven't aged for over 40-50 years!

I agree, even though i got used to the look i still didn't like it. I feel like Solid Snake got the short end of the stick after MGS1. Not being the main playable protagonist, then having him not being in MGS3 (which was a cool i guess)

but then when it was his time to shine they ____ed it up :slap

So i hope they redeem his character in MGS5, if he's in it

Reading some of these comments make me think that Kojima sort of sabotaged himself by making Snake into this "Old Snake" character.

Like you said Solidus, the fans were outraged about how Snake was handled in MGS2. Even I was when Raiden showed up. Of course they released games like "Substance" to try and make things cool by being able to play as Snake during the whole "Plant" section but the damage was done.

Raiden was a prettyboy punk who came out of nowhere. Had a unique storyline but he looked more the part of a Final Fantasy character than a young soldier and I think that resonated deeper than Kojima expected. Especially the American audience, because MGS sells better in the USA than it does in Japan and Kojima has acknowledged this. I think it made some of think about what happened? Especially since we're spending half the game playing as a character we know so little about.

I will say that playing as Raiden in the second half of MGS2 was one of the BIGGEST mistakes/disappointments in video game history. Hence the outrage at Kojima, the death threats, etc. He had a HUGE amount of momentum going into the PS2 and after the immense success of playing as Solid Snake in MGS1, he really dropped the ball with that decision in MGS2. So he knows he has to be careful with the direction and decision that he makes.

Imagine playing Halo 2 and then suddenly you play the second half of the game as a young soldier punk with little care to who he is. What happened to Master Chief? Or playing a Legend of Zelda and suddenly you're playing some other elf kid and NOT Link?

I agree. Especially with how much I disliked playing as Raiden in MGS2. I have only played that part of the game once. I've replayed the Snake portion of it many, many times though. I just can't get into Raiden's character. Nothing about his story appealed to me at all. :dunno

The one thing that I dislike about Japanese game developers is that they are ALL OVER THE PLACE!

They can barely keep a tight and concise storyline going and they have the tendency to get caught up in their own ideas and spitting them out here and there that it's almost too late when they realize they don't make sense.

Think of how IGA messed up the Castlevania franchise by going all over. Final Fantasy stories and games are messy now with so many "sub-games" like X-2 and now XII-2 or whatever. And don't get me started on Kingdom Hearts, what the hell is going on there?

I think the "Big Boss" Metal Gear Solid games should've been COMPLETELY separate from the "Metal Gear Solid" games. Keep "Metal Gear Solid" as SOLID SNAKE'S timeline, MGS3 should've been another Solid Snake game, NOT Big Boss. So I'm with you Zombie. MGS3 could've been Solid Snake slowly aging and trying to discover "why" and continued a worldwide chase with Liquid as he slowly becomes the "Liquid Ocelot" character.

Don't get me wrong, MGS3 was awesome and a terrific game, but they should've called it "Metal Gear: Snake Eater" or "Metal Gear Boss: Snake Eater" or something else. Then they got all over the place with Peace Walker and all the PSP games.

The best game in the series was snake eAter for me. Loved the story, loved the gameplay. Loved the whole thing. They should do another prequel set in the 1920s or something :p forget nuclear warheads lets go back to the black powder Ages, steam punk metal gear? Lol

The best game in the series was snake eAter for me. Loved the story, loved the gameplay. Loved the whole thing. They should do another prequel set in the 1920s or something :p forget nuclear warheads lets go back to the black powder Ages, steam punk metal gear? Lol

"Kore ha Meta Gearu desu!!"

*a lone warrior fires a musket.... 5 second reload. Gets stepped on by Meta Gearu.*
the villagers run in panic, as their one musket is destroyed. Their attempts at clubbling it with sticks, and offering it ceremonial sake has failed. Their only hope of stopping Meta Gearu now is to awaken Godzilla on Monster Island. But will Godzilla accept their sake?

Find out in Metal Gear Solid 5: Muskets of the Patriots.

!

"Kore ha Meta Gearu desu!!"

*a lone warrior fires a musket.... 5 second reload. Gets stepped on by Meta Gearu.*
the villagers run in panic, as their one musket is destroyed. Their attempts at clubbling it with sticks, and offering it ceremonial sake has failed. Their only hope of stopping Meta Gearu now is to awaken Godzilla on Monster Island. But will Godzilla accept their sake?

Find out in Metal Gear Solid 5: Muskets of the Patriots.

!

:lol
Sounds quite interesting. You have to be more careful with such comments, though. Kojima, not having any idea what to do with the franchise, might just be desperate enough to give it a try... ;-)

I have to agree with canuck_spartan. Snake Eater was a great game and certainly the one entry in the series I can recall having had the most fun with. Played the _____ out of it and could still do so nowadays...if only I had more time. I don't want to compare it to MGS1 since I simply love the latter for nostalgic reasons just as much as I liked the story, characters and probably everything else about it. After all MGS1 was the first videogame I played through.

Last edited:
Back