Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arggg not what i wanted to hear, i am so tempted to get rid of my exclusive waitlist and buy a regular now just to make sure i get one! So everyone tell me how awesome the regular is ....:p

I'd have to say that the only way to go with this is with hat or hatless.

:wink1:

I think it's the ultimate GTG, regardless of which is used. I switch the look out from time to time.

Do any of you leave the staff light on for long periods? For fear of burning it out, I seldom even turn mine on.

I think it's the ultimate GTG, regardless of which is used. I switch the look out from time to time.

Do any of you leave the staff light on for long periods? For fear of burning it out, I seldom even turn mine on.

I left mine on overnight once by accident. Still works. :yess:

Yeah, me too. I love both...the hat version is great but it's hard to see the fantastic face sculpt. So I switch them from time to time for a better view of the great job Trev did on this wonderful piece. Win, win.

I only turn the staff light on now and then, mostly to remind me how great it looks...but still a super feature that I love.

Bill

thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll let you know what one I wind up getting.

I noticed in pictures, does it say "The Fellowship of the Ring" under "The Lord of the Rings" like the rest of the p.f.'s? Or did they leave it off on this one?

I really wish it didn't have a name plate at all. I don't like them.

thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll let you know what one I wind up getting.

I noticed in pictures, does it say "The Fellowship of the Ring" under "The Lord of the Rings" like the rest of the p.f.'s? Or did they leave it off on this one?

I really wish it didn't have a name plate at all. I don't like them.

No mate. This was the first one that didn't have a sub-title. It just says "Lord of the Rings", and not "Fellowship of the Ring".

I don't mind them though to be honest.

fair point Colin, thanks.

My pleasure Allan

Yeah, me too. I love both...the hat version is great but it's hard to see the fantastic face sculpt. So I switch them from time to time for a better view of the great job Trev did on this wonderful piece. Win, win.
Bill

Very true, this is the ultimate Gandalf and there really is no wrong way to display him. :gandalf

Well I went ahead and ordered the regular, since ex won't convert :(. I'd rather have gandalf in his hat then no gandalf :)

Well I went ahead and ordered the regular, since ex won't convert :(. I'd rather have gandalf in his hat then no gandalf :)

I just caved in and ordered the Reg. Ed. as well. I've been on the fence for months but after seeing all the glowing reviews/pics and the low quantity in the newsletter I had to get it now before regretting it later. Plus I think He'll look cool with the Morgul Lord PF.

Last edited:
You guys won't regret it, it's an awesome PF. I personally got the extra limited companion edition that goes with the Morgul Lord PF after he breaks Gandalf's staff. Oh wait, that was Gandalf the White. Hmmm. :( :lol

You guys won't regret it, it's an awesome PF. I personally got the extra limited companion edition that goes with the Morgul Lord PF after he breaks Gandalf's staff. Oh wait, that was Gandalf the White. Hmmm. :( :lol

Pending on the pose for the rumoured Ringwraith on steed PF, I will be pairing my GTW PF with that as it was he who faced him down at the gateway ( though not according to PJ, as the ML simply flew into Gondor :dunno ).

"IN RODE THE LORD OF THE NAZGUL, UNDER THE ARCHWAY THAT NO ENEMY EVER YET HAD PASSED, AND ALL FLED BEFORE HIS FACE...ALL EXCEPT ONE"

I think GTG looks great with Frodo cautiously following behind :lecture

Pending on the pose for the rumoured Ringwraith on steed PF, I will be pairing my GTW PF...

Again, where does this rumour come from? People don't seem to realize just how massive a 1:4 scale horse would be. The shipping costs alone for such a huge chunk of polystone would make it cost-prohibitive for anyone but the most wealthy Sideshow collector. I honestly do not see it ever happening.

Sideshow has it mentioned in their "ask sideshow" section as currently in early sculpting stages, and if i remember correctly said it was massive as well, should be pretty epic when it does finnally release ;)

Again, where does this rumour come from? People don't seem to realize just how massive a 1:4 scale horse would be. The shipping costs alone for such a huge chunk of polystone would make it cost-prohibitive for anyone but the most wealthy Sideshow collector. I honestly do not see it ever happening.

It comes from reading SS's Q&A's....SS's been hinting about this for over a year now. Maybe you don't ever see it happening, but the rest of us around here know it's going to happen......right around SDCC 2011. :lecture

Last edited:
No offense, but many people also claimed that Sideshow had confirmed that the Morgul Lord PF would be sculpted riding a Fellbeast, again based on vagueries from the Q&A sessions.

The only questions regarding the RWOS I've seen in the Q&As tend to go like this:

Q: Sideshow, will we ever get a Ringwraith on steed in Premium Format?

A: We have lots of exciting things planned for the future. We can't say anymore now, but stay tuned!

If I missed a session where they clearly stated "yes, we are making a Ringwraith on steed in 1:4 scale", then could someone provide me with a link? If it's really a done deal, I have to start saving my pennies as of today. Might also have to put a kidney up on eBay...

No offense, but many people also claimed that Sideshow had confirmed that the Morgul Lord PF would be sculpted riding a Fellbeast, again based on vagueries from the Q&A sessions.

The only questions regarding the RWOS I've seen in the Q&As tend to go like this:

Q: Sideshow, will we ever get a Ringwraith on steed in Premium Format?

A: We have lots of exciting things planned for the future. We can't say anymore now, but stay tuned!

If I missed a session where they clearly stated "yes, we are making a Ringwraith on steed in 1:4 scale", then could someone provide me with a link? If it's really a done deal, I have to start saving my pennies as of today. Might also have to put a kidney up on eBay...

True, many people did speculate on a ML and partial FB PF, but that never came from SS and was based on the ML PF sneak peek video where it appeared the ML was holding onto reins...presumably reins from the FB. On the other hand, SS has given us plenty of information concerning the RWOS PF project.

Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

Question : Sideshow, in two of your 2009 “Ask Sideshow’ segments [July 9th & Sept. 9th] you confirmed that a Ringwraith Premium Format was in the works. We have heard nothing about this project since then. We have however, seen the Morgul Lord Premium Format. Are we to assume the Ringwraith PF you confirmed last year is, in fact, the Morgul Lord PF? Or is there a Ringwraith PF still in the works. Hopeful Sideshow knows the difference between a Morgul Lord and Ringwraith….

Answer : No, the Morgul Lord PF and Ringwraith PF are separate projects. We haven’t been able to share about the Ringwraith PF yet, because we’re still rather early in the sculpture process. It’s a BIG, ambitious project, and will be phenomenal if all goes according to plan.

Monday, August 2nd, 2010

Question : Any more hints about this LOTR “horse of a different color” Premium Format coming next year?

Answer : LOTR hints? Well, that’s a darn good hint already! A horse of a different color indeed. Not white, the opposite of that!

Monday, August 2nd, 2010

Question : Any truth to the rumor of a Nazgul and Steed Premium Format?

Answer : There’s usually *some* truth in rumors…

Friday, July 2nd, 2010

Question : Any chance of updating us on the progress of the Ringwraith Premium Format? We haven’t heard much since last July when you brought this to our attention!

Answer : You’ve just seen our first Ringwraith PF, the Morgul Lord. We do have additional plans for the Nazgul, and we’ll be sharing updates with you as they become available.

Monday, June 14th, 2010

Question : We need more Hobbit Premium Format figures and I think the next one should be Samwise with Bill. What are the chances, Sideshow?

Answer : Samwise with Bill might be a contender, but if we’re getting into 1:4 scale steeds, it’s likely going to be a horse of a different color…

Monday, June 14th, 2010

Question : There has been a lot of rumor and gossip on the discussion boards about some atypical prospects for your “The Lord of the Rings” Premium Format line. People have suggested a possible Cave Troll PF, a Ringwraith with Steed, or a Sam/Merry combined PF in a single offering. Can you let me know if I should start saving up now? AND… Also do you have any plans to ever create a mounted figure in the PF line?

Answer : We will be officially revealing the Morgul Lord PF very soon, and we hope to unveil the next LOTR PF a little after SDCC. If all goes according to plan, there will be a ‘big’ pre-order opportunity in early to mid 2011, for a product scheduled to ship late in the year. It may seem a ways off, but we’re digging into some serious and ambitious undertakings…

Thursday, December 3rd, 2009

Question : Is there any chance – any chance at all! – that we will see horse and rider Premium Format sets or large creature PF’s (like the Balrog or Cave Troll) in the LOTR line?

Answer : Yes, there is a *chance* that you might see horse and rider combinations appear within the Premium Format line, but it’s very unlikely that you would see the Balrog represented within the Premium Format line.

Wednesday, September 9th, 2009

Question : "Malice is waiting for his RINGWRAITH PF! Thank you so much Sideshow! You’ve made my year a little brighter! You can take my money now for a Ringwraith PF! Bring on the baddies!

Answer : You can hold on to your money a little longer. We are currently developing the Ringwraith PF, and it is shaping up to be a complex (and awesome) figure. Give us time, and we will give you a seriously menacing Nazgul."

Thursday, July 9th, 2009

Question : I know this might be a long shot, but can you shed a little light on a question a lot of us have? Is there a Ringwraith, Witchking, Saruman, and/or Mouth of Sauron Premium Formats in the works?

Answer : Yes, possibly, maybe, and not at this time, in that order. We’re paying close attention to input from the LOTR forum sections and Ask Sideshow submissions. While the LOTR release schedule has slowed a bit, we hope to deliver THE pieces that you want most.

Last edited:
Back