Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

My overall review, short form?

He rules. My first ever PF. And probably my only. The light up feature is very cool, and thankfully, pretty bright. I love the little details, and as others have said the weathering and distressing is AMAZING. His hat sculpt is great, but I actually prefer the hatless exclusive, just because the likeness is SO good. I also prefer to have the poncho off, and just have his under robes. I like that look the best I think.

Complaints?
I noticed a few sloppy areas of paint on the exclusive beard, but not very noticeable. Also a little wart like object between one of his fingers on his free hand. Again, not really noticeable besides to me I guess. The batteries are easy to get to and change.

But I do have one MAJOR complaint. For something so big, he needs to be more stable. He has the one small peg that goes into the base, and that is it. If all his weight was perfectly balanced? Fine. But it isn't. He's standing on one foot, with the other foot only half down on the back step. It makes him swivel and could eventually break if handled poorly. Be careful! I also worry that the weight of the staff could lead to it falling out at some point, but who knows. My one worry is that if I put him up decently high, he's gonna fall if he gets bumped. I just don't trust that little peg. I would have been SO much happier if they had just put another one on the other foot to hold him in nice and tight. He's pretty huge!

Can't wait till I have a nice place to put him. Properly display him! Until then, I hope the rest of you enjoy yours for me!

Nice review Husker, congrats. Many of my Sideshow statues (premium formats and others) are supported by one leg on one peg. So far I haven't had any problems with them.

I can't remember which one it was, but I had a PF once with two separate leg pegs--and the pegs didn't line up properly with the holes in the base. Nightmare.

Yep it looks great. Best PF of the year in my opnion.
The status of my order is still 'shipping soon' :(
Congrats everyone that got one(or 2-3)!

Thanks to all who have posted pics so far. Gandalf turned out great. I'll definitely be picking him up, probably next month. Just the regular though. I have no desire for the hatless version.

I'll will say this, that I'm most impressed with the detailing on the costume. This is why I love PF so much. You get intricacies in the clothing that a fully sculpted maquette just can't match.

I'm going to call Sideshow this morning to have them charge my final flexpayment and ship this puppy out now! Now I just need to hit the Xmas stores to find a 1:4 scale Santa hat for the exclusive head...

I can't remember which one it was, but I had a PF once with two separate leg pegs--and the pegs didn't line up properly with the holes in the base. Nightmare.

Wow.

Ok then. Now I don't feel so bad! :D If you guys have never had any big problems with just one peg, i think i can relax! I guess I'm just nervous with this being my first PF! :p

I tried out the EX hatless portrait--and while I like the fact that you can appreciate the head sculpt a lot more, I think I'm going to stick with the more iconic version of Gandalf with a big old wizard's hat.

dsc09849z.jpg

dsc09856.jpg

Awesome pics, and special thanks for capturing the light up crystal on his staff under low light...

My pics didn't turn out great. I could only have him out for an hour or so, and then had to pack him back up. (no room right now). Sadly, the only place I could open him was in a cluttered family room. So the lighting and everything is crap. Still, i figured i'd throw some up for those of you who have to wait longer!

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the display box. The artwork for the display box seems to be following the format / style of the prior "hero" PFs like Aragorn and Gandalf the White. The style for Legolas' display box changed slightly, and I thought Gandalf the Gray might follow suit.

I'm going to have to get my EX off of Flex and have it charged in full.

Don't want to derail the thread, and as much as I love the evil LOTR PFs (Morgul Lord being the exception) and am anxiously awaiting the reveal of the Mordor Orc PF, Gandalf makes me look forward to the next "hero" PF. Boromir, hopefully?

If I had this PF I would display it without the Hat and then have the Weta Gandalf's Hat displayed beside it. :lecture

Wow.

Ok then. Now I don't feel so bad! :D If you guys have never had any big problems with just one peg, i think i can relax! I guess I'm just nervous with this being my first PF! :p

I will say that I noticed Gandalf feeling a bit less stable than some other single peg PFs. I carry and handle him a little more carefully, and I don't think you're totally off the mark being concerned about this one falling over. Other PFs feel rock solid and Gandalf doesn't quite--although if you get him safely to his display area he should be totally fine.

Exclusive arrived today and well ...

Sideshow has hit an all-time high with their PFs! Genuinely, this is my new absolute favorite; many of their latest offerings have been damn near flawless (Mola, Rocketeer, Vlad, Blackbeard, etc come to mind), but Gandalf is in a class all his own. The light-up feature is far from gimmicky (can anyone say Jedi Luke), and both sculpts are so incredible; they will share display time without question (unlike the Raiders Indy). The weathering is nearly unrivaled, though with Vlad and others Sideshow has really come a long way. The plastic hair might be a bit jarring when you first hold the head sculpts but it is quickly forgotten once displayed; and well unlike other plastic PFs *cough Boba* you see the justification. My minor nits would be as mentioned that he could be a bit more stable, and his satchel sits too flat against him; I wish the flap opened so that you could pad it and make it look more realistic, but those are miniscule compared to how fantastic this piece genuinely is. The clothing is baggy, so he does require some patient futzing; the end result is incredibly realistic. In my collection of about 30 or so PFs, Gandalf easily charges to the top.

:yess:

Such awesome pictures, everyone. I wonder if I jumped on the WL for the EX if it would still convert or not (still ticked off at myself for canceling him to begin with).

Exclusive arrived today and well ...

Sideshow has hit an all-time high with their PFs! Genuinely, this is my new absolute favorite; many of their latest offerings have been damn near flawless (Mola, Rocketeer, Vlad, Blackbeard, etc come to mind), but Gandalf is in a class all his own. The light-up feature is far from gimmicky (can anyone say Jedi Luke), and both sculpts are so incredible; they will share display time without question (unlike the Raiders Indy). The weathering is nearly unrivaled, though with Vlad and others Sideshow has really come a long way. The plastic hair might be a bit jarring when you first hold the head sculpts but it is quickly forgotten once displayed; and well unlike other plastic PFs *cough Boba* you see the justification. My minor nits would be as mentioned that he could be a bit more stable, and his satchel sits too flat against him; I wish the flap opened so that you could pad it and make it look more realistic, but those are miniscule compared to how fantastic this piece genuinely is. The clothing is baggy, so he does require some patient futzing; the end result is incredibly realistic. In my collection of about 30 or so PFs, Gandalf easily charges to the top.

:yess:

:woo

Such awesome pictures, everyone. I wonder if I jumped on the WL for the EX if it would still convert or not (still ticked off at myself for canceling him to begin with).

You never know if you don't try... the Reg. will be around for a bit.. SS holds a certain amount back to be available for any possible returns in case of damage. after a bit the extras will be made available to wait listers or if there are not enough of those ... second chance....get on the EX NOW!!

Go for it! I've only had one out of ten or so wait list reservations not convert, so I'd say the odds are good. Obviously, the sooner, the better.

More than likely; I got on the WL for this one about 6 weeks ago, and it converted within 2 weeks.

Back