Toys R' Us Bankruptcy - RIP June 29, 2018, or coming back ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Toys R' Us Files for Bankruptcy!

TRU just has alot more stock of the same stuff Target and Walmart have at a higher price. They carry some niche items at high prices- not enough interest. Internet and the big box stores have dominated. This has been coming for many years. There used to be Kay Bee and Children's Palace, etc

Thanks Rian Johnson. First you killed Luke, then you killed Geoffrey. :lol

Anyway, I hope Child's World makes a comeback or somebody starts a new toy store chain. The old Child's World building from the 80s/90s is still standing and has the circular castle windows and everything in the next town over and I feel a bit of sad nostalgia every time I drive by it. It kind of sucks if all Toys R Us stores do go away. It'd feel weird not having a national store devoted to toys in existence anymore.

Do kids play with toys anymore? It seems a lot of the companies like Diamond S, Mezco, Neca, Asian imports, and to a lesser extent Hasbro Marvel/SW mostly make figures for adults, not children. Then there's Mattel, and they too tried making "adult collector" figures. I mean seriously, are kids really going to buy Adam West Batman toys? :lol

Even Lego toys are very expensive.

Do kids play with toys anymore? It seems a lot of the companies like Diamond S, Mezco, Neca, Asian imports, and to a lesser extent Hasbro Marvel/SW mostly make figures for adults, not children. Then there's Mattel, and they too tried making "adult collector" figures. I mean seriously, are kids really going to buy Adam West Batman toys? :lol

Even Lego toys are very expensive.

My kids play with toys but the toys also take a back seat to their iPads...that and as any parent knows if you are shopping for toys for your kids the $19.99 toy at Toys R Us is $12.99 at Target...soooo...think I just explained why they filed for bankruptcy...

A lot of good Toys R Us memories. My Aunt and Uncle and cousins from New York came to visit and they gave us each $5 and took us to TRU. We all bought Micronaughts lol. Bought all my game gear and nintendo stuff there. Probably the last thing I got there was my N64 and Ocarina of Time gold cartridge.

Speculation is that they will be completely gone by the end of the month. They missed some payments and have pushed back court dates. Possible announcement tomorrow.

...if you are shopping for toys for your kids the $19.99 toy at Toys R Us is $12.99 at Target...soooo...think I just explained why they filed for bankruptcy...

This. :lecture

Not only are things generally cheaper at Target, but in my area Target has had at least double what my local TRU sells for the past year or so. Everything I've seen at TRU I've also been able to find at Target and then some. I think it's safe to say that as long as Target still exists, I really won't miss TRU that much.

sad-clipart-giraffe-8.jpg

Sounds like just more empty parking lots and buildings to go with the malls with dwindling stores.

Target seems like a likely place for NECA figures as they have really carved out a collector section.

Wow, seems like Yesterday I did the Midnight Madness in 2008 for Star Wars figures at a TRU.

Sorry to see them go, but I probably haven't been in their store or even on their site in years.

Hey go now the liquidation pricing has started slowly like everything is buy one get something else 40% off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad day indeed.

Dan from Toy Galaxy's excellent History of Toys R Us:

Glad I was able to experience it and my kids got to as well

Apparently NECA products are being pulled from stores immediately. I guess NECA is trying to avoid getting burned like with Hastings and hopefully recoup cost from their existing stock through other vendors. Makes me wonder if they more so paid a retail space fee to TRU as opposed to TRU purchasing regular stock.

Apparently NECA products are being pulled from stores immediately. I guess NECA is trying to avoid getting burned like with Hastings and hopefully recoup cost from their existing stock through other vendors. Makes me wonder if they more so paid a retail space fee to TRU as opposed to TRU purchasing regular stock.

Probably works like a lot of retailers now, manufacturer doesn't get paid till it actually sells. If it drops below a certain price they are supposed to send it back.

Probably works like a lot of retailers now, manufacturer doesn't get paid till it actually sells. If it drops below a certain price they are supposed to send it back.

That’s interesting. I noticed that Neca never goes on sale in my local TRUs and they are excluded from all coupons

Back