Toys R' Us Bankruptcy - RIP June 29, 2018, or coming back ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Toys R' Us Files for Bankruptcy!

Yeah found out they only filed to get back balance to their creditors. So TRUs might be around for a while

Lot of them are shutting down here in the Tampa, Fla. area. I was one of those kids who was able to get my mom to take me to Toy 'R' Us every Sunday evening for one things < $5 or $6. I just don't think kids buy that many figures anymore. My 10-year-old nephew has been way more into video games than figure toys for the past few years.

Lot of them are shutting down here in the Tampa, Fla. area. I was one of those kids who was able to get my mom to take me to Toy 'R' Us every Sunday evening for one things < $5 or $6. I just don't think kids buy that many figures anymore. My 10-year-old nephew has been way more into video games than figure toys for the past few years.

Exactly so no suprise to me really. Last time i was in one about a year ago (never had one in my town), there was a 3ish year old kid in cart and he was surrounded by toys and he never once looked up from the phone he was playing on.

[/B]

Exactly so no suprise to me really. Last time i was in one about a year ago (never had one in my town), there was a 3ish year old kid in cart and he was surrounded by toys and he never once looked up from the phone he was playing on.

Be honest though, would you have played with action figures as a kid if you had full access to current videogames?

Be honest though, would you have played with action figures as a kid if you had full access to current videogames?

You may be right. I grew up in the PS era, and my friends and I usually divided our days pretty evenly. A bit outside bike riding or whatnot, a bit with our figures and a bit playing video games. It's with online shooters and MMORPGs in my early 20s that I joined clans and would play for 3,4, or 5 hours in a row.

I did both. Not today's videogames obviously but I was happy enough with what was available to me at the time. As the years passed though I dropped videogames and kept buying figures. I think the last game I played was one of the Grand Theft Autos on the PS2.

You may be right. I grew up in the PS era, and my friends and I usually divided our days pretty evenly. A bit outside bike riding or whatnot, a bit with our figures and a bit playing video games. It's with online shooters and MMORPGs in my early 20s that I joined clans and would play for 3,4, or 5 hours in a row.

the world aint safe anymore. so parents just allow kids to stay at home playing mobile/video games while they take up 2 jobs.

Toys R' Us Files for Bankruptcy!

the world aint safe anymore. so parents just allow kids to stay at home playing mobile/video games while they take up 2 jobs.

The world is just as safe as it’s ever been....

Our ability to see the crazy crap that goes on around the world has changed and that makes us FEEL less safe.....

And we overreact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our ability to see the crazy crap that goes on around the world has changed and that makes us FEEL less safe.....

And we overreact.

Truth, and I would go one step further and say it is safer actually.

And we overreact.

And the media just loves to latch on to the bad more than the good, thus making the gullible assume the worst. Good news rarely attracts viewers/readers. If parents are keeping their kids inside and letting them play video games all day, it’s not because the world is “more dangerous”, it’s because their lazy. I’ve watched the younger couple across the street with their kids over the last 15 years; when their kids were little, they’d be outside with them, playing. I asked them about it, and they said they were only allowed 30 minutes a day to play video games or watch TV on their own. By the time the kids reached Junior High, those kids were constantly outside with their friends; High School... who knows, always off somewhere. Oh, and they were never allowed smart phones. That’s what I call good parenting. Those kids were always coming up with things to do and being creative as they ran around the neighborhood, much like my generation (pre-video games) had to. It was cool to see kids being kids.

I am very sad by this news because Toys R Us gave great memories when I was a child and now to my children the only toys store they know is Toys R Us. When the market hits such gigantic company filed bankruptcy twice, which I believe first was around 15 yrs ago and now is current, this may affect our other retail shops including if some of us open one. The business model is now a bit complicated to follow.

I think one of TRU's biggest flaws is that they always tried to maintain a "high profile" market against low price competitors. People trusted TRU as a brand, but trust only goes so far - no one was going to buy a Lego set at TRU for $15 more than the Wal-Mart down the street. They needed to win that back through quality, which is something that slipped. Sure they price matched, but you average grandma wasn't going to know how to do that.

I still think their saving grace would have been to restructure the brand on a smaller scale and decrease the size of stores - focus on high profile brands at good prices, some obscure and niche product (i.e. collectors) and introduce new and unique items (as the article above stated) as part of their advertising program. They are one of the only brick and mortar retail outlets for a lot of companies like NECA. Restructuring as a collectibles market alone wouldn't have solved their problems since we are a smaller part of a bigger market by far, but identifying as a specialty retailer with new and unique stock may have attracted people who have been looking for different toys and items. When I go to TRU and still see items from 3+ years ago at full price, they obviously aren't appropriately replenishing and rotating stock. That's boring - especially for kids.

Everyone should thank Disney **** for this, by the way.

Back