Sideshow has the new Mummy license!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda feel like his will be the next Van Helsing but if sideshow have aqquired the right to this and van hellsing maybe theres a chance they'll get the rights to the new wolfman, which i think looks great.

That is exactly what this reeks of. Total waste of a license, imho.

Seriously, instead of finishing Friday the 13th or making new X-Files figures we get this???? This will be a bigger flop than the Shaun of The Dead figures (which actually made more sense).

So its a waste cause you don't like it? Lets just stop it now because Carl doesn't like it. :lol

So its a waste cause you don't like it? Lets just stop it now because Carl doesn't like it. :lol

That's not what I'm saying. You know as well as I do that these likely won't sell that well. Hell, even many of the people in this thread who say they like the silly Sommers MUMMY movies are saying they have no interest in the collectibles.

Sideshow has lots of licenses and lines that I have no interest in and don't purchase, but I at least understand that there is a market for them (and some of them do well). This, on the other hand, I don't get at all. Who the hell is clammoring for any Branden Fraser MUMMY stuff? :confused:

That's not what I'm saying. You know as well as I do that these likely won't sell that well. Hell, even many of the people in this thread who say they like the silly Sommers MUMMY movies are saying they have no interest in the collectibles.

Sideshow has lots of licenses and lines that I have no interest in and don't purchase, but I at least understand that there is a market for them (and some of them do well). This, on the other hand, I don't get at all. Who the hell is clammoring for any Branden Fraser MUMMY stuff? :confused:

I don't figure the line to be that popular. Hell, when I read it I was like this is a few years too late. However, I don't see it as a waste since we'll most likely get a few figures and then it will go away. I seriously doubt this takes away from anything LOTR, Indy, or SW.

I'm sort of intrigued by the tought of getting a Rick O' Connell figure. I do really like the first one and enjoyed the second one. Lets put it this way I've seen the first enough times I can almost recite the movie frontwards and backwards. So I would probably get one just for giggles.

Oh, you misread what I meant about a "waste" of a license. I don't think it will be a waste for us at all. You either buy them or you don't (most won't) and I agree that this is not likely to take any efforts away from SW, INDY, LOTR, etc.

I just think it's a waste for SIDESHOW. They will lose money and waste resources on this. It will be very difficult (if not impossible) for them to come up with Edition Sizes that won't leave them stuck with tons of product that doesn't sell but is also profitable and worth their while.

Bad, bad, bad business decision. That's my prediction.

I agree with Carol. Look how Sideshow struggles to release any LOTR figures. Or any line for that matter. They take on a trickle pace. 2 - 3 figures a year is not enough to maintain interest in a line. They just took on GI Joe. Isn't that enough complications? From what it seems, Sideshow hires very few artists (relatively speaking, I don't know the number), so things take a LONG time to get done. How are they going to make any more figures when their main franchise, Star Wars, barely has a new figure every couple months?

It very easily could be. I don't know what kind of a market there will be for The Mummy items. Like I said I'm down for a Rick O' Connell figure at least.

I'd buy an O'Connell figure. I will have to see how I feel about the movie. I loved the first one, the second one not so much. I'll give this one a shot.

I agree with Carol. Look how Sideshow struggles to release any LOTR figures. Or any line for that matter. They take on a trickle pace. 2 - 3 figures a year is not enough to maintain interest in a line. They just took on GI Joe. Isn't that enough complications? From what it seems, Sideshow hires very few artists (relatively speaking, I don't know the number), so things take a LONG time to get done. How are they going to make any more figures when their main franchise, Star Wars, barely has a new figure every couple months?

You mean Carl? :lol

LOTR has some of the most detailed costumes they've done. So not the best example Justin. Try again. I don't see GI Joe being an issue either. As far as hiring artists I don't think thats true at all. I would venture to guess they use quite a few and things are released as all the pieces work together.

Star Wars barley has any figures released latley? They've slowed things down because the pace to start was pretty crazy. We get quite a few figures a year still from that line. Unless I've been a sleep the whole time.

In the end if anyone thinks this line will be anything to really take away from the biggies then please you're giving too much to The Mummy. :lol

They should stop it now because I don't like it either.

Nah, seriously, every new line adds a slight delay to every other line. Its noticible to the LOTR and SW lines with the addition of recent stuff like Indy and GI Joe.

New lines are not inherently bad or good. I don;t mind seeing a slow down in SW for Indy. However, some franchises ARE bad or good. And the Mummy is one of those that is just plain awful. Some people like it of course, but to me there is a big difference between using time and resources on something like Tomb Raider and The Mummy (neither of which I personally want, but Tomb Raider [video game] is miles ahead of The Mummy in its relevance to pop culture).

Last edited:
...However, some franchises ARE bad or good. And the Mummy is one of those that is just plain awful...

This is just your opinion. Enough people like these movies that they keep making sequels, and Sideshow thought it was a worthwhile license. Just because some of you guys don't like the movies, doesn't mean it is a bad license to acquire, and just because some of us do like it doesn't mean it is a good license to acquire. Sideshow has done their research and decided the property is popular enough to go after the license and produce products. I for one will at least make an informed decision after seeing the movie and the products, and not just dismiss them offhand without so much as even seeing anything...

This is just your opinion. Enough people like these movies that they keep making sequels, and Sideshow thought it was a worthwhile license. Just because some of you guys don't like the movies, doesn't mean it is a bad license to acquire, and just because some of us do like it doesn't mean it is a good license to acquire. Sideshow has done their research and decided the property is popular enough to go after the license and produce products. I for one will at least make an informed decision after seeing the movie and the products, and not just dismiss them offhand without so much as even seeing anything...

:lecture :lecture

I just hope this isn't like the Darkman license.... 1 premium format figure then nothing else. I still want a 12" figure!

Hell, I'm still waiting for the Happy Days license that was announced WAAAAAYY back when they were first venturing into 1:6 and were doing Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart :monkey5

Hey. I just took a crap and it looks just like Brendan Fraser from the Mummy, I no longer need anything from this line.

Back