People born between 1975-1985

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSCORP

Super Freak
Reaction score
<table id="post3118402" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3118402" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(9, 37, 54);">I got this from a friend thought it would make a good discussion. (and when i look at my daughter i think about it) thought i'd post it here. (1976 here!)

I had a chat with some friends about this recently, I'm not sure if I'm just biased or that this actually seems like the best decade to have been born in when it comes to your childhood.

If you were born in these years, you probably remember going from watching movies on TV to the amazement of your first VCR, then DVD and online streaming.

You went from vinyl to audio cassettes to CDs to mp3s. You grew up around computers so you weren't technophobic like older generations and were more appreciative of the new technology than younger generations are.

If you were born in these years, you had a good mix between the parents that really didn't give a crap from earlier generations and the helicopter parents of later generations. Your parents (assuming they were GOOD parents, kind of a prerequisite) probably had a good mix between being actively interested in your life and knowing when to back the ____ off.

Movies and TV shows started to be geared towards younger kids in a much stronger way. Star Wars, The Goonies, Rambo, John Hughes' stuff when you were a bit older, etc. I could literally list off hundreds of big movies from my childhood that are still regularly referenced today. As for TV, as much as TV sucks, when was the last time you tried to watch ____ with your kids on Saturday mornings? Saturday mornings suck ____ing ass nowadays. Back then, Saturday mornings were a ____ing event.

Video games were the ____ing ____. Kids born in those years went from Atari to Nintendo to 16-bit systems and onwards and upwards. Think about the first video game system you had as a kid and the most current one you own now. That's a ____ing insane amount of progress in such a short time. Computers were the same thing, I'm sure loads of you guys remember playing Oregon Trail in your school's computer lab and now you're talking with strangers and a professional sports commentator/comedian on a regular basis. That's pretty ____ing ridiculous. Kids of younger generations don't remember the dark ages of the pre-Internet era, kids from these years remember them very clearly and it gives you a nice mix of growing up with the technology so that it's second-nature while also making you appreciate how great it can be.

You could actually enjoy junk food! Going to the local convenience store with five bucks in your pocket meant unadulterated indulgence without any of the bull____ shoved down kids' throats today. There also weren't that many fat kids, oddly enough.

I'm not trying to make this a "these kids today don't appreciate anything" rant, I'm also trying to prevent this from sounding overly sentimental.
Granted, the 80s materialism definitely trickled down to us (see my Reagan reference there? That was awesome!) and we were all caught up in that anti-USSR propaganda as kids (even up here in Canada) because of the WWF, Red Dawn, all kinds of wacky stuff.

It's just a really interesting time frame when you look back on it. Feel free to support or counter my points with a good-natured discussion.
<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(9, 37, 54) rgb(9, 37, 54);">"Every generation thinks that it's the last one that grew up with wonder."

Google killed wonder. nobody "wonders" anymore. if they do wonder about anything they Google it and instantly have a definition of it, a Wikipedia article about it, any recent news stories about it, a million pictures of it, a message board with people talking/_____ing about it, and probably a video of somebody ____ing it.

we are the last generation to know what it is like not to have that at our fingertips

</td> <td class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(9, 37, 54) rgb(9, 37, 54) -moz-use-text-color;" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree. I was born in '83 and I remember our 5th grade class getting the first PC's. It's odd to grow up and appreciate the fact that we have all of this technology and at the same time, not be afraid of it. I went from Oregon Trail on the apple 2C (when you had to FLIP THE FLOPPY DISC OVER!!!!!!) to an iPhone, which has Oregon trail on it. It's sad in a way though, because I think we'll be the last generation that actually wants to learn anything. My sister is 20 and can't really spell because she grew up with spell check. My cousin is 13 and she actually thinks you spell "you" and "was" "u" and "wuz". We had better get on that immortality, robot body thing, because I'll be damned if i give up control to these people.

Why so many swears? :lol

I think if you ask anyone what was the best decade to be born, they're going to say the one they were born in (I was born way before 1975, btw). But I do feel that kids are desensitized at a younger age because they have a lot more information available to them than when I was a kid. I remember the only way to get any type of info on upcoming movies was through magazines. I couldn't wait to get the new issues of Starlog and Fangoria every month. And if you wanted to see a movie trailer, you had to actually go to the movies!

I'm glad I was born in 1970. It was a great time and every one of those things pertains to me too. I still even have my Atari 2600. :)

Born in 73' here. 80's- Anyone in those years had the best tv.
Alf, silverspoons,A-team,Greatest American Hero,Voyagers(freaking wanted an omni)......
I still go back and look at eps frm those years on Hulu or youtube.

I'm not that far off--but I will say this

--Retro games suck, they look crappy and they are boring to play. People who are still nostalgic over those games should get their heads out of their ass

And the crotchety old man on the porch is now a bawbag QQ'ing on the forums.

going from atari to NES was a huge leap. and that dog on duckhunt is still an A hole :lol

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I grew up in a house without a televison or computer. So the advent of better computers/programing/gamesystems doesn't mean a lot to me.

I did play Nintendo at my grandparents house a bunch of times - Mostly Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt and I do remember that dog being a real SOB! :monkey4

I enjoy the technology available to me now, but I often question whether it has improved anyone's lives. I mean, am I a happier person than I would be in a world without all that.

Sometimes I think that people who grew up in the 40's and 50's had it better than us. More opportunities to use ones imagination. Just a quieter, simpler life.

On the other hands the movies of my childhood did kick ass! Goonies FTW!!! :rock

Born in '83 here. I still have a few VHS tapes with blocks of the Saturday morning cartoons from about 87-88. Just classic stuff.:)

I think movies and music made a massive impact on me growing up and of course I still love the music I was listening to back then now. Born in 73' but when Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast came out in 82' followed by Powerslave in 84' it was set in stone from there on. Don't even start with Alien/Aliens, Terminator and Star Wars as my head will explode.

I'm not that far off--but I will say this

--Retro games suck, they look crappy and they are boring to play. People who are still nostalgic over those games should get their heads out of their ass

With the exception of a few tactical games where graphics don't hold much value, I agree.

My sister is 20 and can't really spell because she grew up with spell check. My cousin is 13 and she actually thinks you spell "you" and "was" "u" and "wuz". We had better get on that immortality, robot body thing, because I'll be damned if i give up control to these people.

:rotfl

I always wondered about this.

And Pac-Man is still the bomb.

Back