George Lucas talks about Star Wars Prequel Haters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas seems cool. I have never seen a single Star Wars film though :monkey1

does not compute indeed. but it's not too late to join the human race. just remember, OT = cool, PT = sucks.

how the hell is avatar revolutionary? i thought it looked like crap.

you brought up the point of lucas being a good dad. and now another brought up the point of him being a personable guy. how's that got anything to do with anything again?

Neither of those comments had anything to do with his films. I don't like the prequels and the other poster hasn't even seen them. Meanwhile a third poster referencing Cameron's unsavory private life noted it had no bearing on the quality of his films. In other words, every single comment proves you wrong. Maybe you're just bringing your own personal baggage to this thread?

a film that didnt advance the film tech is just not "as revolutionary as" the film that did 3 advancements. there's nothing fanboyish about that statement.

I'm not really interested in having a discussion about cinema with someone who can make a statement like this with a straight face. It's typical fanboy armchair quarterbacking that can be dismissed with the word "Eisenstein."

Neither of those comments had anything to do with his films. I don't like the prequels and the other poster hasn't even seen them. Meanwhile a third poster referencing Cameron's unsavory private life noted it had no bearing on the quality of his films. In other words, every single comment proves you wrong. Maybe you're just bringing your own personal baggage to this thread?
wait, you dont like the prequels? thought you did. what r we arguing again then? hehe... no seriously, like you said someone's private life has no bearing on quality of his films. it has no bearing on anything related to us. at all. that's my point. why brought it up like that matters at all? free speech always win out in the end though, and i should just accept that. :peace

I'm not really interested in having a discussion about cinema with someone who can make a statement like this with a straight face. It's typical fanboy armchair quarterbacking that can be dismissed with the word "Eisenstein."
yeah well, i happen to have battleship potemkin in my dvd collection. please dont equate the phantom menace to eisenstein's films in any way. i shouldnt even put the two together in the same sentence. you see what you've made me do now?

okay you're right. 'revolutionary' doesnt necessarily mean revolutionary in filmmaking techniques, it could also mean revolutionary in changing perception, personally(for filmmakers) or culturally(audience). in that way then i agree with you, the phantom menace was indeed revolutionary - it's become the textbook example of what not to do for filmmakers, and for the audience to lower expectation everytime an A-list director has a megabudget film out.

I love the prequels! Great scenes, costumes to die for, exotic and cool characters, awesome music score, etc!:rock:rock:rock

Never really cared for the sequel, first trilogy or whatever the hell you people call it! I hated the acting and dialogue in the last two films with passion, though! Everything was sooo forced!

I love the prequels! Great scenes, costumes to die for, exotic and cool characters, awesome music score, etc!:rock:rock:rock

Never really cared for the sequel, first trilogy or whatever the hell you people call it! I hated the acting and dialogue in the last two films with passion, though! Everything was sooo forced!

BLASPHEMY!!

Try as I might, I cannot get my kids to like the OT as much as the PT. Just a difference of opinion I guess. I could (ahem) be like someone I know who bans the Prequels from his home like the Bible in an Islamic state.

Yup. People damn him to hell and hate the PT up and down. But those same people own DVD versions of it and as soon as it is out on Bluray, will buy those too. Then come back on here and say he sucks.

Lucas is a genius!

I'm happy to say that's not me. I sold my entire Star Wars collection and only own the original-original trilogy. I don't own the prequels at all.

in that way then i agree with you, the phantom menace was indeed revolutionary - it's become the textbook example of what not to do for filmmakers, and for the audience to lower expectation everytime an A-list director has a megabudget film out.

On the contrary, it essentially recreated the summer blockbuster and paved the way for studio backing for films like Avatar and Transformers, which owe their existence to groundbreaking virtual performances by Jar Jar and Watto. It's fundamentally revolutionary in itself that you have an opinion of Jar Jar as a character rather than as a special effect.

It's also worth pointing out that The Phantom Menace isn't the disaster fanboys make it out to be. The thing had an impressive box office and audiences returned in droves for both sequels. It ultimately spawned a hit TV show. Affiliated merchandise sales have generated countless millions. In terms of business and general audience response, it was a success. People like the story it told and wanted more of it.

I don't think it's a very good movie, but I can recognize that Avatar owes it a great debt, and in a very real sense it's the more revolutionary of the pair.

georgelucasthenandnow-550x434.jpg

The ultimate hilarity of this image is how mind-blowingly-inferior the 1983 "Star Wars" movie is compared to the one from 2005.

1977 and 1999? Yeah, I could see that, but using those two years is epic fail to say the least.

On the contrary, it essentially recreated the summer blockbuster and paved the way for studio backing for films like Avatar and Transformers, which owe their existence to groundbreaking virtual performances by Jar Jar and Watto. It's fundamentally revolutionary in itself that you have an opinion of Jar Jar as a character rather than as a special effect.

It's also worth pointing out that The Phantom Menace isn't the disaster fanboys make it out to be. The thing had an impressive box office and audiences returned in droves for both sequels. It ultimately spawned a hit TV show. Affiliated merchandise sales have generated countless millions. In terms of business and general audience response, it was a success. People like the story it told and wanted more of it.

I don't think it's a very good movie, but I can recognize that Avatar owes it a great debt, and in a very real sense it's the more revolutionary of the pair.
dont confuse merchandising/franchising and box office gross with the film being revolutionary. if you want to talk about influence, the year phantom menace came out, the matrix kicked its a$$, and not long after attack of the clones came out the LOTR:FOTR stole its thunder. if anything avatar was more born out of LOTR(or the original OT if you'd like). jar jar and watto??? you cant be serious. only you talk about them being groundbreaking, everyone else is talking about the gollum.

and if you want to be fair with avatar, you cant judge it now in terms of how it affects our pop culture. the film is still playing in theaters, it's much too early to judge. but it IS revolutionary in terms of filmmaking techniques. that is a fact you cant dispute.

i like TPM and ROTS. AOTC is total crap. i was a kid of 12 when TPM came out so i have memories of it, which are good so i cant not like that one.

Back