Playstation Vita Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Playstation Vita (formerly PSP2/NGP - $250)

So a 32GB proprietary Sony memory card for this thing is going to cost $120. :slap

Yeah before they even release this they go ahead and release rediculous pricing for memory.... not smart sony get it together please.

They probably don't have much of a choice--by having their own memory card it makes it difficult to hack the hardware, but that means the cost is more since it's so unique.

Memory cards always cost that much. I have tons of $120+ ones that have high read and write speeds, which the Vita will need. I don't need those stinking $10 dollar ones that takes an hour to write a music video.

Im sure you guys are right but the price of a memory card rivals the price of buying a entirely different handheld wowzers.

So a 32GB proprietary Sony memory card for this thing is going to cost $120. :slap

Yeah before they even release this they go ahead and release rediculous pricing for memory.... not smart sony get it together please.

They will lose money on Vita hardware. They had to recoup somehow or else we'd be paying more for a Vita. Something had to give.

I don't agree with Sony's insistence on proprietary everything and the high price that comes with it, but let's keep things in perspective. Consider Apple products and their pricing structure. A bump from a 16gb unit to 32gb is always a flat $100 (64gb costs an extra $100 on top), and it's an enclosed system, so you can't upgrade memory alone without shelling out for a new unit altogether. People don't seem to have a problem with that.

They will lose money on Vita hardware. They had to recoup somehow or else we'd be paying more for a Vita. Something had to give.

I don't agree with Sony's insistence on proprietary everything and the high price that comes with it, but let's keep things in perspective. Consider Apple products and their pricing structure. A bump from a 16gb unit to 32gb is always a flat $100 (64gb costs an extra $100 on top), and it's an enclosed system, so you can't upgrade memory alone without shelling out for a new unit altogether. People don't seem to have a problem with that.

While it's nice that you can swap the memory out, having to buy the cards separately at this price really slaps potential buyers right across the face about the cost of memory.

actually they're not loosing money on each Vita sold. Sony said that they are after a different strategy now after the PS3. They intend to make money off each Vita to aid in their money situation for the PS4.

This memory card business has put me off buying a Vita for now, maybe in a year when its cheaper

actually they're not loosing money on each Vita sold. Sony said that they are after a different strategy now after the PS3. They intend to make money off each Vita to aid in their money situation for the PS4.

This memory card business has put me off buying a Vita for now, maybe in a year when its cheaper

I'd be surprised if Sony wasn't going to take a loss on these. They're too cheap for them to making anything. Peripherals on the other hand...thats where the big bucks are. The mark up on those is insane.

While it's nice that you can swap the memory out, having to buy the cards separately at this price really slaps potential buyers right across the face about the cost of memory.

I don't disagree with this. I'm just not surprised considering Sony's history with proprietary memory.

I think the Apple comparison is valid. Also, Microsoft's high prices for 360 hard drives.

I'd like to see you provide a source to that, because every site within 10 pages of a related google search says that Sony is taking a loss on each Vita sold. As much as $60 on each sale.

With the cutting edge tech Sony has stuffed in the Vita, it's impossible that they're not losing money selling it at $250.

Eventually they'll profit on vita, but that's not for at least a few years. Much of that will come from the games.

The memory cards will help with the loss. They must make like a 80% profit on those things.

Me too. It makes sense for the piracy standpoint, but let's face it...it's going to happen eventually. Just a matter of time before it gets cracked. It might sound assbackwards, but I actually bought my first PSP BECAUSE it could have custom firmware on it.

All i wanna know is are games gonna be sold in shops? & will they be a UMD substitute fromat that dies?

UMD :slap I'm sure the games will be sold in stores for a bit more than the downloaded versions. I can't imagine everyone has consistent access to high speed internet.

Not sure if this bothers anyone, but it's reported that you can only have 1 PSN account on the Vita. If you want to sign in with another one you have to reformat it first.

A NeoGAF forum member has reported that information handed out at a PS Vita preview event they attended in Osaka, Japan states that only one PSN ID can be set up on a PS Vita console at any one time. Furthermore, based on the user's translation of a Japanese FAQ, swapping between PSN accounts on Vita is only possible if the console is first formatted to factory settings.

The NeoGAF user's translation reads:

Q: How many PSN account can be set up on a Vita system?
A: Only 1 account. If you want to to use a different account, you need to format the system to factory settings.

That only one active PSN ID is permitted per handheld is no great surprise, as the PSP is set up in the same way. However, with PSP, the PSN account associated with the device can be deleted and the handheld linked to another account and its associated content without too much hassle. If this translation is accurate it suggests the only way to link a new PSN ID to Vita – for example, to enable multiple family members to access their PSN content and trophy information via Vita or for Vita owners to purchase PS Store content from other regions – is to first format the device to factory settings.

IGN has contacted Sony for comment.
https://psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213964p1.html

They had a huge PS Vita setup at one of the malls near the house. Is this thing supposed to be good/worth the money?

This whole thing is a mess. Sony is like the Philadelphia Eagles. They are so stuck in their ways that they can't even see when it's not cutting it anymore. The iPhone and Droids are killing the mobile platform. Why spend close to $400 (System, Memory Cards, Games) when you can download something for $1.99 to $7.99? This WILL be another Sony fail. It's ashame to because there are things I would like to play on it, yet I refuse to play their a la carte games. Of course some people on here will buy no doubt. But the overwhelming majority of consumers will not be purchasing this product.

Because the games will be much better than anything you can get on Android or iPhone

I don't doubt that for second. What I do doubt is that this will be successful. I don't see many adults whipping out their Vita's to game when they already have a decent mobile phone to help pass this time. I also don't see many parents moving away from Nintendo and buying their kids close to a $400 mobile gaming system.

Like I said, it comes as no surprise some people around here will be purchasing. We are mostly adults that have the income to be able to afford it. IE a niche group of people.

How did that PSP fair? It failed for the same reasons that will cause the vita to fail.

I'm not saying it will suck by any means. I'm sure the games will be great. I'm simply saying it will not be a big seller and will likely fail.

It depends. I wouldn't consider the PSP a failure, it actually did pretty well. And many of the issues that it had aren't an issue with the Vita, like the controls and such. The controls specifically might be a good reason for it to do well, just because the touch screen on phones really limit what they can do in games.

It's hard to really say if the PSP failed or didn't fail when it was constantly bombarded by the Nintendo lineup and then by the "mobile" apps on phones and such. I got one and thought it was pretty slick, but when the custom firmware was out the PSP was so much better IMO.

One thing I won't disagree with is how much of a turd the UMD format was. I can still find $.99 movies at game stores.

Sent from my iPhone located on the planet Hoth.

Back