PSN to become SEN (Sony Entertainment Network)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sony is starting to send out these e-mails to PSN members:

Dear Psyko_2000,

On February 8, 2012, your “PlayStation®Network account” will be renamed a “Sony Entertainment Network account” or a “SEN account” in conjunction with Sony Computer Entertainment’s PlayStation®3 system software and PlayStation®Vita system software updates. (Note, this change will not be applied to the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system at this time.)

For general purposes, this account change is a change in name only. Your username or password will not change, nor are we asking you to change them. In accordance with this transition, some necessary naming changes will be made to the TOS and Privacy Policy.

This transition is based on Sony’s goal to enhance its unique digital entertainment offering. As a series of these activities Sony started last September, PlayStation®Network will be aligned with “Sony Entertainment Network.” This helps us get closer to our goal of establishing a global comprehensive network platform of services across games, movies, music and more, all accessible from one convenient account.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support during this transition.

Sincerely,
The Sony Entertainment Network Team

Then there's this tweet from SCEA's Shane Bettenhausen:
kq0jM.jpg

Could be a rebranding of PSN, or it could be very minor. Guess we'll find out on the 8th.

So what do you think of the name change?

New Sony CEO Kaz Hirai probably cares, as it seems this is one of his first initiatives, perhaps to try and distance the company from the PSN breach last year.

the next Sony console probably won't be called Playstation.This is basically a sign of things to come. :D

Sony Network Entertainment System.

Whatever the reason is, it probably has something to do with having a new CEO. The new guard always has to change things that don't need changing in order to show their impact on the company. I see it at where I work all the time (a large corporation)

I can't really say that I find the name change that surprising. With services like Music Unlimited and Netflix, its come to the point where the PSN is doing much more than just gaming.

"Sony Entertainment Network" sounds more streamlined to Sony products on a whole, rather than being just an exclusive service on a console.

That's probably because the account might be able to tie into internet ready TVs in the future (now?) and so it won't confuse customers who don't have a PS.
Just some synergy across the whole line.

As long as the service is still there, hacking aside, with Playstation Plus and everything else, I'm good.

Back