Offensive Jackson Five act

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black face, white face, brown face has been around for ages. It only seems offensive if whites do it for some reason.

A lot of it has to do with minstrel shows during the 1800s that were racist, stereotypical and derogatory.

And is that Deborah from Dexter in that video? I've never watched White Chicks.

Yeah I get tired of the "it's racist" but only when white people do it.

Where was the gay bashing? I'll have a thing or two to say about that.

I think people look at it differently when white people do it because it reminds us of a time in our nation's history when African Americans were so thoroughly discriminated against, white actors in black face were used to portray them in very stereotypical ways. Not something we wanted to be reminded of, especially during this time of racially charged politics. While I would agree that it would seem to be a double standard if Eddie Murphy played the part of an asian man, or the Wayan brothers played the role of white chicks, I think the difference is that we have to take a look at the context and times in which they are portrayed. Whereas as now it's more or less done purely for yucks, back in our not so distant past, African Americans were victims of segregation, extreme prejudice, denied civil rights and worst yet, were sometimes brutally killed (dragged through the streets, castrated, burned alived, lynched, etc.) for entertainment. Just look at the graphic images of lynched Black men surrounded by a crowd of smiling white men, women and children. Should we dwell on the past? Did any of us have anything to do with what happened then? Of course not. But sometimes we need to take a hard look at history in order to ensure we do not repeat it. Like 9/11 or the Holocaust, we should never forget.

I think most people who are offended by something choose to be offended by it, for the attention and for the sake of making others look bad. It's highly annoying. I don't have any problem with jokes made in good fun about homosexuals just because I am one. I have no problem laughing at black face or anything else like that. The people who get "offended" by it are often the same people who call each other derogatory terms that white people also cannot say, or it's "racist." They just need to get over the past - accept it as history, but stop dwelling in it.

Well, I will respectfully disagree. I am not a homosexual, or black, or a Jew, or any number of other minorities who are often the target of scorn. But I do get offended when other people treat these people as less than people.

On an equal playing field, anyone could joke about anyone else, and it is fair game. But when you play off of racist stereotypes with the intention of representing someone as less than a normal person, that is an affront to civilized society.

My general rule of thumb is that we don't pick on people for things that they are not responsible for. Attitudes and bad taste? Sure. Skin color, physical disabilities, or sexual orientation? No. I've nearly gotten in fights over people saying racist things to friends of mine, and it has nothing to do with wanting attention or making someone else look bad. It just isn't right, and pisses me off. Why do you have to be the butt of the joke to be offended, exactly?

When privileged people have jokes made about them, it isn't in a truly demeaning way as if they are lesser, 2nd class citizens. It is on how dumb they are, or how they are square, or whatever. The acid test is probably this--would you expect the average white sorority girl to be offended and hurt seeing White Chicks? How do you think a typical black person would feel seeing the above skit?

I respectfully disagree, as well. In most cases (particularly comedy sketches) it's not to demean someone. It's for laughs, for fun. And I certainly partake in that and have no problem admitting it. Yes, there are some real jerks out there that make fun of people to hurt them, and that's wrong. However there is a difference, yet some people refuse to acknowledge that.

And if making fun of black people isn't acceptable, neither is making fun of white people, as in White Chicks. You can say that it's different because they are upper class and not lesser, but it's the exact same thing.

I'm assuming you don't like South Park?

I admittedly do enjoy South Park, but those guys truly believe in equal opportunity offensiveness, and the only times I see them get really mean spirited is toward offensive groups who are hypocritical (most religions), or who treat others badly (Barbara Streisand). Timmy is pretty bad, but they make the disabled guys pretty likable characters.

I also admit that comedy is tough. If people aren't pushing boundaries, it gets stale and often isn't funny. But if it is coming from the wrong place (the Michael Richards rant, for instance), then it is not funny and is not acceptable. The sketch in this thread comes from a similar place, and you can tell that it does.

I think people look at it differently when white people do it because it reminds us of a time in our nation's history when African Americans were so thoroughly discriminated against, white actors in black face were used to portray them in very stereotypical ways. Not something we wanted to be reminded of, especially during this time of racially charged politics. While I would agree that it would seem to be a double standard if Eddie Murphy played the part of an asian man, or the Wayan brothers played the role of white chicks, I think the difference is that we have to take a look at the context and times in which they are portrayed. Whereas as now it's more or less done purely for yucks, back in our not so distant past, African Americans were victims of segregation, extreme prejudice, denied civil rights and worst yet, were sometimes brutally killed (dragged through the streets, castrated, burned alived, lynched, etc.) for entertainment. Just look at the graphic images of lynched Black men surrounded by a crowd of smiling white men, women and children. Should we dwell on the past? Did any of us have anything to do with what happened then? Of course not. But sometimes we need to take a hard look at history in order to ensure we do not repeat it. Like 9/11 or the Holocaust, we should never forget.

:lecture This is the only post you need to read as to why it IS considered racist. If or when guys like the Wayan Brothers make a movie like White Chicks (If some are offended) they need to have their voices heard. Imo African Americans are/were the only race that actually did something about it. Stood up and let people know they can't get away with it anymore. Well maybe you could say the Jews have done the same with regards to the Holocaust but that was in hopes to never forget a terrible era in human history.

I admittedly do enjoy South Park, but those guys truly believe in equal opportunity offensiveness, and the only times I see them get really mean spirited is toward offensive groups who are hypocritical (most religions), or who treat others badly (Barbara Streisand). Timmy is pretty bad, but they make the disabled guys pretty likable characters.

I also admit that comedy is tough. If people aren't pushing boundaries, it gets stale and often isn't funny. But if it is coming from the wrong place (the Michael Richards rant, for instance), then it is not funny and is not acceptable. The sketch in this thread comes from a similar place, and you can tell that it does.

If you can enjoy South Park and not get offended, then we'd get along just fine. :duff

I'm an equal opportunity offensiveness type of guy. I'll make fun of someone no matter who you are, and I'll laugh at someone else doing the same, no matter who you are. I wish more people could take a joke, I guess is what I'm saying.

I didn't think this particular skit was in poor taste, but that's just me.

I'm the same way for the most part. I love David Cross, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Chappel, and some other guys who could be considered extremely offensive (and in some instances, they do jump right over the line of good taste). But again, for me, it comes down to the motivation. Are they being hateful or demeaning toward something people are born with and have no control over? Or are they making fun of individual and cultural behavior that is not tied into the historical bigotry that Blu Falcon points to?

That's the key.....motivation. There's a big difference between purposely trying to hurt someone and trying to be funny. I don't think this clip purposely tried to hurt anyone even though it certainly wasn't funny.

I love this woman! She insults everyone equally....

lisalampweb_000.jpg

file://<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=https://www.youtube.com/v/tWRNP8gNVMM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

That's the key.....motivation. There's a big difference between purposely trying to hurt someone and trying to be funny. I don't think this clip purposely tried to hurt anyone even though it certainly wasn't funny.

lisalampweb_000.jpg

file://<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=https://www.youtube.com/v/tWRNP8gNVMM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

lampanelli lol, the woman who has had more black on her face than the guys in the op

Dumb video, ohhh my feelings are so hurt, I find it funny that people get so upset over such stupid stuff.

Was one of them creecher?
No. I wasn't asked to join in.

As Shropt said "Wow, this is majorly out of context." This is an Australian show, that is just out to have a laugh at poor and bizarre acts. Australian. Nothing to do with Americans or their culture or cultural problems. What do you know of our culture? What about Americans saying "A dingo ate my baby". In the correct context it's funny. In reality it's seriously not. Grow some nuts.

15rnr5k.jpg

Mr T sporting a Mohawk. Is anyone telling him to shave his head because it's offensive to Native Americans, or not to wear jewelery because it's offensive to women?

This skit wasn't done to offend anyone. That people take offense is something they choose to do. Harry Connick Jr has done something similar himself. What a buffoon. :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9vtOt5mNEZE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9vtOt5mNEZE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is he playing a black person? No? Hard to tell? What about a preacher? Should preachers be offended?

This thing has been totally blown out of proportion. We're all hypercrits. Just that some are bigger hypercrits than others. Sure, people do naive things. To breeze past that just to cry racist is disregarding any knowledge or understanding of the real situation. A bunch of blokes getting together to perform an act, they probably thought up in five minutes, to get a laugh and try to make the audience laugh along, in order to win a prize of $100. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, how were they to emulate the Jackson 5? Paint their faces green? This is supposed to have been a joke, and that's what it was and is turning out to be an even bigger one. I'm totally offended. :lol

What idiot would start a thread like this anyway? :lol

Well maybe you could say the Jews have done the same with regards to the Holocaust but that was in hopes to never forget a terrible era in human history.
forget what? i didn't know anything happened...:confused:
ahmadinejad.jpg

lisalampweb_000.jpg

LISA LAMPANELLI!!!!!!! FTW!!!! FUNNIEST WOMAN ALIVE!!!

and you're absolutely right. she makes fun of everyone equally = no hate..just jokes
she makes fun of blacks, hispanics, asians, jews, whites, gays, etc and everyone finds her funny no matter how rude or angry she comes off as, we all know that she's joking and that it's pointed to everyone equally..........unlike michael richards's incident...

Back