Metal Gear Solid Trilogy HD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow all the fuss of people saying mgs 3 was the best mgs nah far from it the original had it all the story the villains the music everything i think alot of people just jumped on mgs 3 cause they never played the first two

I've played every single MGS game (except for that arcade one). Objectively, MGS3 is hands down the best in terms of storyline, characters, level design, combat, gunplay, stealth. It's also the most genuine and heart-felt.

I can understand that MGS1 is beloved because it was the first 3D Metal Gear game (I remember buying my copy back in 98, but among the entire series, I can't rank it above MGS3.

Hopefully it's MGS3 Subsistence that's included in this HD collection. Anybody here who hasn't played MGS3: Snake Eater should just skip it and play Subsistence instead.

These are the best in order.

1st place : MSG1
2nd place : MGS2
3rd place : MGS3

cant wait. you think theyll upgrade the textures like in the Lara Croft and Ico collections, or do a lazy job like the POP collection?

I've played every single MGS game (except for that arcade one). Objectively, MGS3 is hands down the best in terms of storyline, characters, level design, combat, gunplay, stealth. It's also the most genuine and heart-felt.

I can understand that MGS1 is beloved because it was the first 3D Metal Gear game (I remember buying my copy back in 98, but among the entire series, I can't rank it above MGS3.

:lecture I approve of this post. Can't wait for this. I still can't see why they haven't been able to patch MGS4 for trophy support.

MGS3 is the best in one area and one area only: Gameplay. Even this has a few flaws, for example the menu system and options are probably the worst in 3- pausing every few seconds to change your camo or "heal" yourself.

This is, of course, incredibly important, but to say that the characters or storyline are better than MGS1 (or 2, for that matter) is rediculous... The pacing in 3 is pretty bad as well, especially that ending. And when I say ending, I mean the last 2 hours of the game.

That said, I love all of them for different reasons, and would glady get an upgraded pack of them!

MGS3 is the best in one area and one area only: Gameplay. Even this has a few flaws, for example the menu system and options are probably the worst in 3- pausing every few seconds to change your camo or "heal" yourself.

This is, of course, incredibly important, but to say that the characters or storyline are better than MGS1 (or 2, for that matter) is rediculous... The pacing in 3 is pretty bad as well, especially that ending. And when I say ending, I mean the last 2 hours of the game.

That said, I love all of them for different reasons, and would glady get an upgraded pack of them!

It's not necessary to enter the menu to change your camo every few minutes, you can get through the game without the crutch of a 90%+ camo rating per any given situation. It's not a problem unless you're a total obsessive-compulsive type of gamer.

As for the storyline, MGS3 is massively important because it's the one that starts it all. It's the very beginning of everything in the Metal Gear saga. I can understand MGS1 being comparable in quality to MGS3 in this regard, but even suggesting that MGS2 sits anywhere close to MGS3 or MGS in story quality practically nullifies your argument.

MGS2 in a nutshell:
Char. A: "I'm manipulating you."
Char. B: "No, I'm manipulating YOU!"
Char. C: "NO! I'M manipulating YOU, with this hand!!!! HAHAHA!"
Rose: "Hey Raiden, do you remember that time we went to see that one movie? I don't know why I'm bringing this up while you're attempting to save the world from terrorist cells, but I couldn't help but think....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

And toss in the Big Shell setting, and the pacing becomes stagnant.

The trophies for these would be endless. My mind races with possibilities...beat the game without getting any alerts, without any deaths, without killing anyone, etc.

Oh man, awesome.

As for the storyline, MGS3 is massively important because it's the one that starts it all. It's the very beginning of everything in the Metal Gear saga. I can understand MGS1 being comparable in quality to MGS3 in this regard, but even suggesting that MGS2 sits anywhere close to MGS3 or MGS in story quality practically nullifies your argument.

I felt the more open spaces didn't suit Metal Gear that much, thats why i didnt like MGS3 as much (i also felt its polish wasnt as good as MGS2s)

and story wise MGS3 is definetly the weakest of the three, although it does excel at defining relationship between The Boss and Naked Snake

and the beginning of everything was with MG1. kojima never intended to continue the series past 2.

regardless of this bull____ what matters is getting these games in HD.

do you guys think itll be upgraded like in the Ico collection? maybe thats why koji pro are looking for new staff?

Whatever, I dropped my two cents many times already.

Kojima Productions hiring for new staff might be due to them ramping up for another Kojima-directed MGS, as was recently rumored.

MGS2 is the best in the series. It's just that too many gamers couldn't get their heads around the genius of MGS2. Kojima broke all conventions with that game and instead of the player controlling the game, the game controls the player!!! and we don't even realized it!!!

The amount of layers, allegory, parallelism, commentary, postmodernism that present in MGS2, I am still digesting and discovering new things even to this day. It's like a game that gets better and better each time you gain a new perspective in life. Since I have debated about this countless times many years ago on Gamefaqs I am not going to open that can of worms again.

Sadly, due to the cold reception of MGS2, Kojima went a safer route in MGS3. I mean MGS3 is fun, bar none but the fun is like a blockbuster movie fun. MGS2 is like David Lynch fun and I love me some David Lynch fun.

In MGS4, one can tell Kojima kinda tries to get into the whole MGS2 groove again but at the same time also appealing to mainstream and sad to say, he kinda falls flat. To me, MGS4 is the most disappointing of the series, once awe with the graphics and presentation wears off.

But Peace Walker got me really excited again with the MGS series. It's like Kojima got his groove back. Despite the last gen graphics, he more than makes up for it in terms of story, acting, presentation, and I really connect on an emotional level with Snake this time, especially the last boss fight. I will even go as far as saying that David Hayter gave the best performance of his career so far. Best of all, when the game ends, it doesn't really end.

It's the best game I have played last year and unlikely to be topped this year.

Back