Metal Gear Solid Trilogy HD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you only have a PS3, then play them in this order:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid (Download from Playstation Network)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it! If I start with Snake Eater, will I have any trouble understanding the story or anything? I've heard that they're very complicated games so I just want to make sure I get the best experience possible :lol

Also, do I have to be a paying member of PSN to download MSG #1?

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it! If I start with Snake Eater, will I have any trouble understanding the story or anything? I've heard that they're very complicated games so I just want to make sure I get the best experience possible :lol

Also, do I have to be a paying member of PSN to download MSG #1?

Nope, not at all. MGS3 sets the entire series up and you'll catch references in the latter games of the timeline neatly. Definitely play MGS4 last as it ties all the previous games together and reveals many revelations. MGS3 is pretty straight forward, as is MGS1 and MGS4. MGS2 is the really confusing one and dabbles quite a bit in philosophy and other metaphors.

No, just go into the Playstation store via your PS3 and buy it.

When you do get to MGS1, it'll make all sorts of references to events in MG and MG2, which is fine, as it doesn't ruin the experience at all since they explain what happened anyway. If you DO want to play both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, they are included with MGS3 in the HD Collection. Dunno if you have the patience to play those old school 8-bit games though :lol

It's bad advise to suggest playing the games in chronological order :slap. Play the games in order of release! That means: MGS 1, MGS 2, MGS 3, MGS 4 and lastly, Peace Walker. Each consecutive MGS game in the series, references the previous releases in some way, and there are always minor retcons to the storyline. So, if you want to avoid any confusion, just do as I say :lol

Not entirely. MGS3 references are subtle and flow nicely into the latter entries. Besides, with the exception of MGS3, the rest are in order anyway, besides PW of course. I've never finished PW yet so I can't comment on what references lie within the story.

It's bad advise to suggest playing the games in chronological order :slap. Play the games in order of release! That means: MGS 1, MGS 2, MGS 3, MGS 4 and lastly, Peace Walker. Each consecutive MGS game in the series, references the previous releases in some way, and there are always minor retcons to the storyline. So, if you want to avoid any confusion, just do as I say :lol

:goodpost:exactly

Oh well, if I'm late to a party I always prefer going chronologically which is what I did with Spartacus. I'm usually never late to a franchise so it was refreshing. I actually had a friend new to the franchise play in release order as you suggested (except with Twin Snakes). Ultimately, it's up to him to decide.

Last edited:
Oh well, if I'm late to a party I always prefer going chronologically which is what I did with Spartacus. I'm usually never late to a franchise so it was refreshing. I actually had a friend new to the franchise play in release order as you suggested (except with Twin Snakes). Ultimately, it's up to him to decide.

For MGS, I'd recommend only playing in order of release. As to what you mentioned before about MGS 3: while the game does take place in the past, it's a sequel to MGS 2 - in that, it furthers the discussion of the origins of the Patriots (aka. the Philosophers) and how their vast financial influences in the Cold War, helped to shape the modern world into what it is. Everything from MGS 1, MGS 2 and 3 then unravels very neatly into MGS 4.

There are also small tid-bits of humor here and there (eg. Major Raikov who looks like Raiden, and Naked Snake wearing a Raiden mask), that you wouldn't understand, or appreciate, unless you happen to play the games in order.

For MGS, I'd recommend only playing in order of release. As to what you mentioned before about MGS 3: while the game does take place in the past, it's a sequel to MGS 2 - in that, it furthers the discussion of the origins of the Patriots (aka. the Philosophers) and how their vast financial influences in the Cold War, helped to shape the modern world into what it is. Everything from MGS 1, MGS 2 and 3 then unravels very neatly into MGS 4.

There are also small tid-bits of humor here and there (eg. Major Raikov who looks like Raiden, and Naked Snake wearing a Raiden mask), that you wouldn't understand, or appreciate, unless you happen to play the games in order.

Good point. MGS2 and MGS3 have a bigger impact on story leading to MGS4 as well and MGS1 does work well as an introduction anyway.

I would also recommend playing them in the order of release. . .further, I would disagree that you will be able to fully understand the story. You'll get the biggest, most important chunks of it probably. But more than being complex, the storyline gets full-blown convoluted at times. You really start wondering what kinds of drugs the writers were on during parts of MGS2. I'm more a fan of MGS for the bad-ass characters like Snake and (older) Ocelot, the gameplay, and the mood/atmosphere. Storyline ranges from OK to bad to mind-boggling/insane.

I would also recommend playing them in the order of release. . .further, I would disagree that you will be able to fully understand the story. You'll get the biggest, most important chunks of it probably. But more than being complex, the storyline gets full-blown convoluted at times. You really start wondering what kinds of drugs the writers were on during parts of MGS2. I'm more a fan of MGS for the bad-ass characters like Snake and (older) Ocelot, the gameplay, and the mood/atmosphere. Storyline ranges from OK to bad to mind-boggling/insane.

For the most part, the series is pretty straight forward, with the exception of MGS 2. The last 20 minutes of that game were pretty convoluted - you'd probably need read up wikipedia to understand it :monkey1.

More like, the last hour. Didn't the codec conversation in the middle of the Solidus fight alone last about 40 minutes or so?

I just found it. You have to go to "All Titles" then navigate to it. It's a PS one Classic for $10.

I just found it. You have to go to "All Titles" then navigate to it. It's a PS one Classic for $10.

You're awesome, thanks a lot! Sorry for all my confusion, I finally bought a PS3 just a few weeks ago so I'm still new at it. I've always been an Xbox gamer :D I've been playing Heavy Rain, and the Uncharted series so far. It's been great! :rock

Just ordered the HD collection and will buy MSG #1 tonight, thanks again!

MGS1 is the best game in the series for it's many different and interesting characters and easiest story to take in. And by easy I don't mean thin, it's very deep but your brain won't hurt understanding it like MGS2.

Back