HD MGS, Silent Hill, and Z.O.E. collections announced

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys, but E3 is only a few days. Karma is the pillar of the video game section. Big kudos to you.

This should've been PS3 Exclusive, it has no right on 360.. Let me explain.

MGS may have started on the MSX, and may be ported onto the nintendo systems, but MGS is a staple of Sony Playstation it became popular and beloved on those systems. MGS IS a Playstation juggernaut.

XBOX 360 is The Playstation's direct competition afterall. Not to mention that if it was exlcusive to PS3 they could've been remade using the MGS4 engine. They may not have done this but it would've been an option, i bet the MGS4 engine is licensed to PS3 and wouldnt be able or allowed to work on the 360.

I'm not trying to start a console war, really, but i've grown up with MGS on Sony systems (owned and played them all on PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3) and feel that they are being sold out.

It would be the exact same or worse situation if Halo and Gears Of War were brought to PS3, fans would be outraged!!

just think of it as a very long timed exclusive lol

I think its about time Xbox fans saw how great this series is, also there probably doing it to fall in line wit their future titles ( like Rising)

for what its worth you are right Metal Gear for the most part is totally Sony

MGS may have started on the MSX, and may be ported onto the nintendo systems, but MGS is a staple of Sony Playstation it became popular and beloved on those systems. MGS IS a Playstation juggernaut.

XBOX 360 is The Playstation's direct competition afterall. Not to mention that if it was exlcusive to PS3 they could've been remade using the MGS4 engine. They may not have done this but it would've been an option, i bet the MGS4 engine is licensed to PS3 and wouldnt be able or allowed to work on the 360.

I'm not trying to start a console war, really, but i've grown up with MGS on Sony systems (owned and played them all on PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3) and feel that they are being sold out.

It would be the exact same or worse situation if Halo and Gears Of War were brought to PS3, fans would be outraged!!

:lecture I concur. While I'm glad that some people that never owned a PS system :)cuckoo:) will finally get a chance to play these....I do believe Snake belongs on a Sony machine. And yes, redoing the classic MGS games in the MGS4 engine would rock big time.

I don't see the issue; it's a collection, not a new title. Were you this incensed when MGS2: Substance came to the original Xbox?

I don't see the issue; it's a collection, not a new title. Were you this incensed when MGS2: Substance came to the original Xbox?

The sales for the X-Box version of Substance was extremely poor, because the majority of MGS fans had already transitioned over to the PS2 to play the original version of MGS 2. I believe that the only people who were enraged by this, was Konami, because X-Box owners didn't even care much about the game to buy it.

Well said. I remember when hordes of MGS fans were ticked off at Kojima in 2009, for appearing at the Microsoft E3 press conference to announce MGS Rising. Back then, it was up in air as to whether Rising would be an X-Box 360 exclusive, or if it was also coming to the PS3. A lot of folks (including myself) did have a feeling of being betrayed, because MGS had been a Playstation exclusive franchise for years.

I think as of right now, the MGS franchise is just being milked to hell. Konami is trying to cash in as much as it can, from whatever life still exists in their old games.

By the way, I think Cliffy B would get shot or dismembered with a chainsaw, if Gears of War ever came to the PS3... :monkey1

The sales for the X-Box version of Substance was extremely poor, because the majority of MGS fans had already transitioned over to the PS2 to play the original version of MGS 2. I believe that the only people who were enraged by this, was Konami, because X-Box owners didn't even care much about the game to buy it.

I don't see how anything you just said justifies Sony fanboy attitudes toward the HD MGS collection coming to 360. If anything, It's exactly the same situation as when MGS2 Substance came to Xbox. All of these games have been released previously for Sony's platforms and thusly, no one should be enraged by this unless the HD Collection sells poorly on 360. Unless that happens (which I highly doubt), sales of Substance on Xbox are irrelevant in context of this discussion.

The MGS Rising situation though, that's something that's legitimately rage worthy for Sony fans.

Last edited:
Ultimately, Konami is about making money for themselves....not limiting a release to be loyal to Sony forever.

With that said, the Xbox360 is the better selling system than the PS3. More people own a 360 and there is a good chance that the MGS HD Collection will sell more copies on the 360 than PS3. Konami knows they can rake in more cash to release it on the 360 as well, so they could care less about being loyal to Sony.

I also think it is a bit selfish for one to say that this should not be released on the 360. If the Halo Anniversary collection was to be released on the PS3, I wouldn't be saying it shouldn't, more people can then experience a great game. But that won't happen since it goes beyond Bungie/343, Microsoft owns the Halo rights and won't let Sony get Halo.

I don't see how anything you just said justifies Sony fanboy attitudes toward the HD MGS collection coming to 360. If anything, It's exactly the same situation as when MGS2 Substance came to Xbox. All of these games have been released previously for Sony's platforms and thusly, no one should be enraged by this unless the HD Collection sells poorly on 360. Unless that happens (which I highly doubt), sales of Substance on Xbox are irrelevant in context of this discussion.

The MGS Rising situation though, that's something that's legitimately rage worthy for Sony fans.

Um... weren't you the one who brought Substance into the context of this discussion, in the first place? :dunno

By the way, I don't think anyone's really angry about the HD collection going over to the 360 (at least, I haven't seen any heated discussions over it). After all, MGS fans had two years to fret and fume over the loss of exclusivity, and it's pretty much an accepted reality by now. If anything, I think most people are just happy that the series is being re-released again. Especially the PS3 Slim owners, who are unable to play the PS2 MGS games on their consoles.

Yes, I brought up Substance, but not sales. That's what you brought to the discussion.

I think there's probably a large contingent of Sony + MGS traditionalists who are still boiling over this. I'm not saying Nova-Force is one of these people, but bumping the thread by saying that MGS "has no right on 360" does connote sour grapes.

Yes, I brought up Substance, but not sales. That's what you brought to the discussion.

I think there's probably a large contingent of Sony + MGS traditionalists who are still boiling over this. I'm not saying Nova-Force is one of these people, but bumping the thread by saying that MGS "has no right on 360" does connote sour grapes.

Sour grapes or not, he does make a good point. MGS was touted as a Playstation exclusive franchise for years, and it gave PS owners a sense of pride in owning their systems. In addition, Solid Snake was held as mascot for the Playstation brand, just as how Master Chief is recognized for Microsoft. It is a little disheartening if you think about it... :(.

In any case... I don't really care. I'm pre-ordering this s### as soon as it's available.

I think if people stopped caring about third party exclusives, they'd be much happier. MGS was a flagship franchise for Sony, but it's not a first party series and thusly it was never locked down to Sony. You bring up Master Chief and Halo, but there's the difference: Halo is a first party franchise. It's to Microsoft what Uncharted and Gran Turismo is to Sony. MGS was never like that, though a lot of fanboys considered it to be.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point in my life, the idea of third party games changing platforms stopped bothering me. It could be because of how long I've been a gamer. It could've been when Sega Dreamcast died and a lot of Sega first party and third party titles spilled onto PS2 and Gamecube and Xbox. Generally, as long as first party stuff stays on their respective platforms (Mario - Halo - Uncharted), I'm usually unruffled by news of third party platform switches.

Think of it this way: rewind time back a decade, no, 15 years ago when Playstation was stealing third party studios from Nintendo and Sega. Nova Force made a good point in his post, Metal Gear was originally an MSX series that also made an appearance on the NES. It was never exclusive to any platform. Ten or so years later, MGS2 Substance released for Xbox and then MGS Twin SNakes came to Nintendo Gamecube.

But back to how Sony snatched third party games away from other platforms. Final Fantasy? Dragon Quest? Tomb Raider? Mega Man? etc etc. The market designates the direction third party games go. Ten years ago was a mirrored reflection of how things are going now. Consider it as Sony paying its dues - or more accurately - those dues being recouped by the will of the market.

It's not so bad though. There are a number of formerly exclusive Xbox titles becoming multi-platform franchises. Bioshock is one. Mass Effect is another. It wouldn't surprise me if, theorizing that Sony is the lead platform next generation, a lot of Microsoft's exclusives switch sides.

I think if people stopped caring about third party exclusives, they'd be much happier. MGS was a flagship franchise for Sony, but it's not a first party series and thusly it was never locked down to Sony. You bring up Master Chief and Halo, but there's the difference: Halo is a first party franchise. It's to Microsoft what Uncharted and Gran Turismo is to Sony. MGS was never like that, though a lot of fanboys considered it to be.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point in my life, the idea of third party games changing platforms stopped bothering me. It could be because of how long I've been a gamer. It could've been when Sega Dreamcast died and a lot of Sega first party and third party titles spilled onto PS2 and Gamecube and Xbox. Generally, as long as first party stuff stays on their respective platforms (Mario - Halo - Uncharted), I'm usually unruffled by news of third party platform switches.

Think of it this way: rewind time back a decade, no, 15 years ago when Playstation was stealing third party studios from Nintendo and Sega. Nova Force made a good point in his post, Metal Gear was originally an MSX series that also made an appearance on the NES. It was never exclusive to any platform. Ten or so years later, MGS2 Substance released for Xbox and then MGS Twin SNakes came to Nintendo Gamecube.

But back to how Sony snatched third party games away from other platforms. Final Fantasy? Dragon Quest? Tomb Raider? Mega Man? etc etc. The market designates the direction third party games go. Ten years ago was a mirrored reflection of how things are going now. Consider it as Sony paying its dues - or more accurately - those dues being recouped by the will of the market.

It's not so bad though. There are a number of formerly exclusive Xbox titles becoming multi-platform franchises. Bioshock is one. Mass Effect is another. It wouldn't surprise me if, theorizing that Sony is the lead platform next generation, a lot of Microsoft's exclusives switch sides.

I was never a fanboy of any particular console back then, and not now. I guess many people feel they need to pick a side. Nowadays, especially with the Wii U, it's getting to the point where it's pointless to have more than one console as almost everything (of course third party) isn't even exclusive anymore. It's to the point where I sometimes can't decide which console I should get a game for.

I have to rely on research prior to purchase, like are there any exclusives to one version (Mortal Kombat)? Is one version more buggy than the other (Bayonetta)? Was it originally developed for the 360 then ported to the PS3 even though they're identical (Resident Evil 5)? Heck, if there really is no difference, I would get it for the platform its predecessors were originally on (Devil May Cry). Back then, the "Same game" would often be COMPLETELY different on the Genesis or SNES, much like how Wii versions of PS3/360 games are these days. Either way, I'm a gaming agnostic and just to keep with tradition, will be getting this bad assery for the PS3.

I wouldn't say that I'm enraged or irate about this, but more disappointed. Kind of like I am about Mass Effect on the PS3 now. Good for everyone that only owns one console,but IMO it removes some of the reasons to own all of them. First party or Third party exclusives are different, but in this case I've grown to associate the MGS games with Sony.

Sent from my iPhone located on the planet Hoth.

I'm curious, but why would u all feel the need to own all the different consoles?

Is it to play all the console exclusive games? e.g wii for Mario, PS3 for GOW3 & Xbox360 for Halo?

I'm curious, but why would u all feel the need to own all the different consoles?

Is it to play all the console exclusive games? e.g wii for Mario, PS3 for GOW3 & Xbox360 for Halo?

That's my case, I love all games. PS3 for the blu-ray player and the exclusives with that even though I play my 360 more often, and the Wii for parties or with others in general. But I love Nintendo games as well to play solo.

In my opinion, I think the trend of third-party "exclusives" going cross platform has less to do with the current situation of the market, and more to do with companies trying to maximize their profits as much as possible. It's even more evident in this generation, or perhaps it's just the case that game developers have finally found out how capitalism works. To reiterate what others have said (namely, hairlesswookiee), it's come to the point, where you don't even have to buy all of the consoles to enjoy their respected third-party titles anymore. Just wait it out, until the games get re-released for your console. That said, it does take away the charm of owning one of these systems.

Last edited:
Back