Metal Gear Rising [Revengeance]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
e46jl.png

https://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/index.html

Some of you may have known about the rumor that the team originally developing Metal Gear Solid: Rising were let go earlier this year, and that Platinum Games (developer of Bayonetta, Vanquish) and Hideki Kamiya (of DMC fame) were given the reigns. Turns out it's true.

Looks like the game will re-surface during tonight's Spide Video Game Awards Show 2011, with a new name, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and radically different design. To reflect that, I thought it needed a new thread.

The trailer that's supposed to play tonight leaked, and Viacom's taken down all the Youtube links I've found so you can download it now, via mediashare: https://www.mediafire.com/?m76v6y1hq2dbyi7

I'll upload the YT link later tonight.

Update 2 (replaced original trailer with extended cut): watch it here:

[ame]https://youtu.be/RtYN45yVMQI[/ame]

FEGrb.png

LZY8q.png

mgr_keyart_fnl_120811mzqow.jpg

The main character, Raiden, was once feared as the child soldier "Jack the Ripper" on the front lines of the First Liberian Civil War. Now, his combat mastery is channeled through a cyborg body as the strikes from his high-frequency blade slice even massive assault drones in two. Raiden is contracted for VIP protection, military training and other duties by PMSCs (Private Military and Security Companies) in a developing country piecing itself back together after a bloody civil war. Little does he know that the stage is set for a clash with an enigmatic force of countless cyborgs.
Reborn at the hands of Platinum Games, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE pits cyborg against cyborg in battle that blazes past every human limit!

Originally, the game was supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4, chronicling Raiden's transformation, but it changed once Platinum Games joined the project. Now, it takes place several years after MGS4.

Update: Behind-the-scenes interviews

'The Truth About Rising'

A 25-minute behind the scenes interview at Kojima Productions revealing why Riaing was turned into Revengeance. well worth watching:

[ame]https://youtu.be/gV1BMUg4NsA[/ame]

Kojima interview explaining with EGM detailing why it went to Platinum Games

Kojima interview about satisfying MGS fans with Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, hopefully this time the game is near completion and its not another 3 years before its done.

Bayonetta and Vanquish were awesome. I have interest in this game now when I hadn't before.

I gotta say while the gameplay looks like it'll be fun, the game looks horrible! I don't see Metal Gear there at all.

also the graphics got worse and the music is atrocious!

Im very disappointed. The 09 trailer looked alot better

It's pretty ridiculous, even by MGS standards. The new MG Rising looks like cheesy, over-the-top Michael Bay-level bombast and doesn't fit into the established world of MGS.

Not sure what to think, really. I love MGS, but I love Platinum's games. Odd bedfellows.

Will wait and see.

damn I cant watch the video,

so this team that was let go, why? where they not moving at a good pace with the game? I dont know what to think of this, I can definately see hard core mgs fans pissed about this,

seems like raiden will never win the hearts of HC mgs fans lol

It's pretty ridiculous, even by MGS standards. The new MG Rising looks like cheesy, over-the-top Michael Bay-level bombast and doesn't fit into the established world of MGS.

Well...

Kojima stated that Rising will play like a mainstream European and North American-style game and as such he feels that "it doesn't matter if it lacks the message aspect of a MGS game I'd make."
:monkey3

ok just watched it on another site.... he tosses a metal gear ray into the air.... and his sword no longer cuts through people?, I hate games like that where you hit people with a bladed weapon and it just Knocks them back a bit.. Im so disapointed.. weak sauce Konami

I really dont know what to think now, just cheesy for an MGS game

and before I potentially get attacked, it looks like a cool game just not a cool MGS game

Wow, I hate this already. Metal Gear May Cry?

Anyway, thanks for posting, Plasmid. I can see why Kojima decided to take a hands-off approach on this game, as he wouldn't want his good name tarnished on producing something as... risky as this.

so this team that was let go, why? where they not moving at a good pace with the game? I dont know what to think of this, I can definately see hard core mgs fans pissed about this,

No definite word on that, yet.

Yeah. It's really obvious how Japanese this new MG Rising is, though. It's very anime-like.

ok just watched it on another site.... he tosses a metal gear ray into the air.... and his sword no longer cuts through people?, I hate games like that where you hit people with a bladed weapon and it just Knocks them back a bit.. Im so disapointed.. weak sauce Konami

and before I potentially get attacked, it looks like a cool game just not a cool MGS game

It would make a lot of sense if they provided a Dante skin as DLC :lol. Then, I'd play this game in the same way as I played every game in the DMC series.

Yeah, it looks more like most hack-n-slash games now. Raiden's blade in the original MGS Rising footage acted like a light saber from the SW movies, now it's just a light saber from SW games like The Force Unleashed. :lol

No offense meant to the people that think this looks cool but I think it looks down right terrible. The music the graphics and just the general design of the game looks no where near related to the MGS series and some how they got the voice actor for Raiden to sound like he sucks a voice acting.

In one trailer they have "unsold" me on this game. Will be cancelling my reserve for it tomorrow

This isn't a Metal Gear game. This actually offers gameplay instead of pretentious cutscenes and codec conversations.

I expect the fans to be pissed. Kojima couldn't have been directly involved with this because he doesn't know how to make an actual playable game, only crappy wannabe movies that make no sense whatsoever.

This isn't a Metal Gear game. This actually offers gameplay instead of pretentious cutscenes and codec conversations.

I expect the fans to be pissed. Kojima couldn't have been directly involved with this because he doesn't know how to make an actual playable game, only crappy wannabe movies that make no sense whatsoever.

^Hungry troll needs feeding.

Meh, I've said this in another thread, but for me, the draw of MGS has never been the story. It's the gameplay ("tactical espionage action") and the nifty characters that Kojima has created. The codec conversations do get a bit excessive IMO. But the style of gameplay in the MGS series was pretty revolutionary. I can't see the video for this new one, but some fast paced hack-n-slash is far less appealing to me than another, more traditional entry in the series.

Meh, I've said this in another thread, but for me, the draw of MGS has never been the story. It's the gameplay ("tactical espionage action") and the nifty characters that Kojima has created. The codec conversations do get a bit excessive IMO. But the style of gameplay in the MGS series was pretty revolutionary. I can't see the video for this new one, but some fast paced hack-n-slash is far less appealing to me than another, more traditional entry in the series.

They could have made Rising more faithful to the series, but, in order to do that, Kojima would have had to have been at the helm again, and from what he's stated in the past, he's trying to transition away from the series :lol.

This game looks a bit too over-the-top, even for an MGS game. Well, as for MG"S", I wonder what's the reason for why KojiPro chose to remove "Solid" from the title... unless this game isn't really part of the official MGS canon, but more like a side-story :monkey1.

Back