Metal Gear Rising [Revengeance]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love hack n slash, but that was definitely a lot of cheese that doesn't fit well with MGS.

Bayonetta has a self-aware cheesiness to it that made it fun, but this just doesn't work. Raiden has just become another (lamer) Dante.

The graphics are fine. You can't expect the graphics to be all that great when you need a constant 60 FPS (many console games run at only 30 with dips including MGS4).

They could have made Rising more faithful to the series, but, in order to do that, Kojima would have had to have been at the helm again, and from what he's stated in the past, he's trying to transition away from the series :lol.

This game looks a bit too over-the-top, even for an MGS game. Well, as for MG"S", I wonder what's the reason for why KojiPro chose to remove "Solid" from the title... unless this game isn't really part of the official MGS canon, but more like a side-story :monkey1.

Side stories are still canon, unless they (developers/producers) specifically say that the game's story never happened.

Last edited:
ok just watched it on another site.... he tosses a metal gear ray into the air.... and his sword no longer cuts through people?, I hate games like that where you hit people with a bladed weapon and it just Knocks them back a bit.. Im so disapointed.. weak sauce Konami

I really dont know what to think now, just cheesy for an MGS game

and before I potentially get attacked, it looks like a cool game just not a cool MGS game

Yeah, it looks more like most hack-n-slash games now. Raiden's blade in the original MGS Rising footage acted like a light saber from the SW movies, now it's just a light saber from SW games like The Force Unleashed. :lol

Huh? but it does still slice through people...It shows it right there in the trailer :dunno

Huh? but it does still slice through people...It shows it right there in the trailer :dunno

It seems it's only for "special" attacks. The normal attacks just looks like they're being hit with blunt blades.

You'd think more games like this would finally adopt dismemberment. But some games/devs just send it back to the orphanage instead (like the ____nuts making Ninja Gaiden 3).

Last edited:
It seems it's only for "special" attacks. The normal attacks just looks like they're being hit with blunt blades.

You'd think more games like this would finally adopt dismemberment. But some games just go backwards from it instead (like the ____nuts making Ninja Gaiden 3).

Ah, gotcha. You'll probably have to build a meter or something.

Yeah Biojex, what Dominishin said. The original MGS Rising footage had dismemberment as part of the standard combat, and not a special finishing move.

Original MGS Rising:
ihhDnP9FOgPcR.gif

iERbWaj5zMuZi.gif

New MGR Revengeance:
risingg2rtp.gif

I don't really have a problem with the change, apart from the loss of the 'gee-whiz' cool factor. It would have made the game pretty easy, I'd imagine. I hope they found a way to keep the destructible environments, but I'm not hopeful.

meh, couldnt watch the video, seems its been taken off.....anyway i dont wanna play as ninja gaiden anymore.......i mean raiden. mgs is all about stealth not hack n slash!!

There can be a balance if the enemies are actually trying to kill you instead of standing around. Which is often what it's like in these games (enemies standing around that is).

But DMC/Bayonetta (the creator's past games) has a different mindset that Ninja Gaiden, it's more about how well you can show off than actually fighting difficult enemies.

Yeah Biojex, what Dominishin said. The original MGS Rising footage had dismemberment as part of the standard combat, and not a special finishing move.

Original MGS Rising:
ihhDnP9FOgPcR.gif

iERbWaj5zMuZi.gif

New MGR Revengeance:
risingg2rtp.gif

I don't really have a problem with the change, apart from the loss of the 'gee-whiz' cool factor. It would have made the game pretty easy, I'd imagine. I hope they found a way to keep the destructible environments, but I'm not hopeful.

Yeah I'm not too bothered about it, but after re-seeing those gifs...you bummed me out :(

:lol

I'll give it a shot. It looks like it could be pretty fun. I'm not very good at the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta type games, though.

wow, I hate to say it but that looks horrible. the particle effects are obtuse, and the voice acting/dialogue sounds terrible...wow what a disappointment.

Yeah I'm not too bothered about it, but after re-seeing those gifs...you bummed me out :(

:lol

Yeah, me too a little bit.

The saddest thing is that the original version of MGSR was probably never going to happen. We never really had a real idea as to how it was going to play. We only ever saw a demonstration of watermelon slicing and 10 seconds of Raiden running around cutting dudes (the gifs on previous page), and that was back in 2010. Scuttlebutt is that the developers couldn't successfully implement the real-time dismemberment, so they had to hand it over to Platinum Games.

While I would've preferred to see what Koji Pro would have done with the original MGSR concept, I don't think it was ever going to congeal.

just saw it, and being a fan of raiden, platinum games, and ninja gaiden, this game is a definite for me. it's not mgs for sure, but the way i see it, most hc mgs fans hate raiden, so rising is prolly a no-no for them already. and seeing how it's a raiden game, developers prolly like, ____ it. since it's raiden lez do some crazy ____ with it. kojima's like, but hold on, if we gonna do that let's not get involved, lez give it to someone else so they get the blame. lol cuz really....you see raiden doing all that ____ from rising and he can't even take on vamp?

Ironic... I hate the direction that this game has taken, but I can't stop looking at the trailer.

Expect an extended cut of the trailer + a making-of vid in the next few days, via https://www.metalgearsolid.com/.

Also, MGRR jp website is up: https://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/index.html

The main character, Raiden, was once feared as the child soldier "Jack the Ripper" on the front lines of the First Liberian Civil War. Now, his combat mastery is channeled through a cyborg body as the strikes from his high-frequency blade slice even massive assault drones in two. Raiden is contracted for VIP protection, military training and other duties by PMSCs (Private Military and Security Companies) in a developing country piecing itself back together after a bloody civil war. Little does he know that the stage is set for a clash with an enigmatic force of countless cyborgs.
Reborn at the hands of Platinum Games, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE pits cyborg against cyborg in battle that blazes past every human limit!

Originally, the game was supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4, chronicling Raiden's transformation, but it changed once Platinum Games joined the project. Now, it takes place several years after MGS4.

Last edited:
Expect an extended cut of the trailer + a making-of vid in the next few days, via https://www.metalgearsolid.com/.

Also, MGRR jp website is up: https://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/index.html

Originally, the game was supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4, chronicling Raiden's transformation, but it changed once Platinum Games joined the project. Now, it takes place several years after MGS4.

Wow. I guess it makes it easier for them to develop a game that takes place after, so they won't have to worry about messing around with the canon, or being confined by it. It also gives KojiPro the opportunity to further the dialog away from Snake and MGS 4, in order to create new "MG" games in the future.

I'll give it a shot. It looks like it could be pretty fun. I'm not very good at the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta type games, though.

Bayonetta is definitely not for the faint of heart. I needed a lot of practice just to beat that game on its normal mode. Anyone who manages to platinum or get all of the achievements deserves to win some sort of medal.

Now really, just having watched this trailer I can think of a myriad of other things on which I could spend that money saved.

Back